Reccomend me some PUNK rock

dZjupp

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

Sonic Youth is my favorite band of all time though.

Touch and Go was another cool 80's label, and it still has good stuff to this day.

Ah, the mighty Touch & Go, another one of my all time favorite labels. So many of my favorite bands came from T&G (Jesus Lizard, Polvo, Seam). Lots of love for the noise. Matador did a similar thing in creating a sound, even when a lot of the bands were different.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by LavaMan

Early Sex Pistols - the defined and created the Genre...

I think Iggy Pop/Stooges and the Ramones might have something to say about that.

However.....

:wave:

For sheer snottiness....

The Stanglers ruled...for me.

• Members
Originally posted by #16

I think Iggy Pop/Stooges and the Ramones might have something to say about that.

However.....

:wave:

For sheer snottiness....

The Stanglers ruled...for me.

me too. Every record up through and including The Raven is tremendous. I play them more than any other punk band...cept maybe the Saints.

The Aussie collection Do The Pop is worth owning, BTW.

• Members
Originally posted by valued customer

me too. Every record up through and including The Raven is tremendous. I play them more than any other punk band...cept maybe the Saints.

The Aussie collection Do The Pop is worth owning, BTW.

Whole reason I bought a bass guitar.....J.J.

Great band.

Saints weren't too shabby either!

I'll look into that collection.

:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by valued customer

Ahh, I see the Devoto quote in your sig.

Well (mentally jotting it down), #16 knows his {censored}...

LOVE MAGAZINE!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

Tikirocker loves this {censored} too!

:thu:

• Members

What was the big LA label back then? Alternative Tentacles? Eww.

AT was based in San Francisco and in my opinion put out some of the greatest punk albums ever (all DK albums). DK was one of the few punk bands that had a really unique sound.

• Members

The only new band I kind of like are the Dropkick Murphys. It's kind of hard to find new punk bands because they don't really exist anymore. If you think Green Day is punk, y ou need to get stabbed in the {censored}ing face. I like most of the older {censored}, but to people my age, they have no clue who most of these guys are, and most of them are into hip hop anyways. Besides, most people who consider themselves punks are more into the look then the music, though finding a hot punk chick is always a good thing.

Dead Kennedys - I love alot of their {censored}. If you haven't heard of them, my favorite album is Fresh Food for Rotting Vegetables. You may want to start off with Give me Convience or Give Me Death. The versions on there are a little cleaner and the live cuts are awesome, but I like the rawer sounding ones better.

Suicidal Tendencies - their self-titled debut. If you have a {censored}ed up point of view on life and a bizarre sense of humor, this album is for you. In any other hands, this probably would come off as some goth {censored}ty {censored}, but this is hard core.

Black Flag - I'm probably in the minority of the people who like the Rollins-era {censored} over the {censored} before his involvement. There seems to be a lot of people out there who seem to think he ruined the band. I liked what he tried to do with the band, but what he did wasn't really that great. The live {censored} like on Who's Got the 10 1/2 were great, even from being the later period. "Damaged" was their best album. Also, get "The First Four Years." I like a lot of these songs--Nervous Breakdown is my fav Flag song--but hearing them with a psuedo Johnny Rotten vocalist is just {censored}ed up. That's the part were Rollins shines. Maybe those are just my thoughts.

Minor Threat - get their "Complete Discography." You can't hate a band who's entire recording career can be put on a single disc. :D I love all these songs. I like Minor Threat a bit more then fugazi, too. Check them out.

The Clash - Joe Strummer is so {censored}ing awesome. Get their self-titled and London Calling. Great albums.

Husker Du - Zen Arcade. One of the greatest concept albums ever.

The Sex Pistols - Never Mind... A great albums. Not my personal favorite, but it'll do. Has to be mentioned for its impact even if it's not all that original. I liked Public Image Limited (PiL) a lot better, though.

If you like the Sex Pistols, check out the New York Dolls. They were doing what the pistols tried to do before they even tried to do it. Too bad the New York Dolls aren't as widely known.

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams. Live recording of a great band. It'll really get your blood pumping. Not technically punk, but don't try to box yourself in with labels. Good music is good music, and the MC5 along with the Stooges will make the Ramones seem like a bunch of 50's rockers and Green Day seem like a bunch of {censored}ing pussies. :D

• Members

Originally posted by bunghole

AT was based in San Francisco and in my opinion put out some of the greatest punk albums ever (all DK albums). DK was one of the few punk bands that had a really unique sound.

You're right, Bay area punk. I do love the DKs, and Nomeansno, but I never really dug much else AT put their stamp on, although Lard was semi entertaining.

• Members

Originally posted by theweight

The entire SST catalog of the early to mid 80s was genius. Minutemen, Sonic Youth, Black Flag, Descendents, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr, Meat Puppets. The only thing that even comes close to that amount of talent is early Dischord.

Right with you there...:thu:

• Members

but I never really dug much else AT put their stamp on, although Lard was semi entertaining.

Lard is cool. My favorite album put out by AT is Prairie Home Invasion by Jello and Mojo Nixon. Its a country album!

also, the False Prophets cd is damn good. some other good AT {censored} is Evaporators (Nardwuar the Human Serviette's band), Yuppie Pricks, Articles of Faith

• Members

I'm gonna have to {censored} all over a sacred cow here.
I think Kick Out the Jams is a {censored}ty, muddy, noisy piece of garbage with the exception of like 3 songs. From what I've heard Back in the USA is better. Also, I really never got into Black Flag or Husker Du. I'm not sayin you guys are wrong, but it seems like i'm the only person that doesn't dig black flag and husker du.
Minor Threat however does kick some major ass.
Jooz guys should check out the Avengers. great band.
And when all is said and done, the Ramones are probably my favorite band, just pure good time music.

• Members

Originally posted by bunghole

Lard is cool. My favorite album put out by AT is Prairie Home Invasion by Jello and Mojo Nixon. Its a country album!

also, the False Prophets cd is damn good. some other good AT {censored} is Evaporators (Nardwuar the Human Serviette's band), Yuppie Pricks, Articles of Faith

Damn, I always forget about False Prophets. A friend got me into them when I was in middle school. He mail ordered something from them and "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" from the Descendents that both came in on the same day. Back then mail ordering Indie records was a huge deal, since it was done by catalog and check. So we stopped skateboarding for the afternoon and chilled out in the AC listening to punk rock. Then we played Super Pitfall and I kicked his ass.

• Members

Fear - Record
Fear - More Beer
Misfits Collection I
Misfits Collection II
Iggy and the Stooges - Funhouse
Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power
Black Flag - anything
The Ramones - The Ramones
Agent Orange - anything
Agnostic Front - anything
The Meatmen - We're the Meatmen and you Still Suck