Reccomend me some PUNK rock

dZjupp

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The Pistols did not create punk rock...seriously, somebody needs to rewrite all those history books that claim that. Punk rock started in the U.S. w/ 60s garage bands and was later defined by bands like VU, The Stooges, and the MC5. The Pistols were just the first band to break the genre to the mainstream conciousness (and fyi they weren't even the first British punk band to release an album, and fyi x2, they are also one of the most overrated punk bands ever)

+1 :thu:

• Members

so I'd say I grew up with some righteous punk music funneled into my dome. Minor Threat's discog was a major eye-opener for me. Cashing In was my favorite, w/ Stepping Stone a close second just for sheer sing-along-ability (new word?) with friends way back when. Thought Sleater-Kinney was waay more punk than some of the more popular back then too, although some of my more-punk friends thought otherwise. :mad:
Other stuff on the tapes and mixtapes: suicidal tendencies, dead kennedys, buzzcocks, descendents, misfits...:wave:

Of course you grow up (I'm 26 now) and you find a lack of stuff that satisfied you the same way and you start diggin the older stuff. Moving on to Television Gang-of-Four, The Jam, MoBurma, The Clean, Pere Ubu, Wire

But how about the original question?
newer stuff that although doesn't sound necessarily like 1978, yet somehow captures the spirit and attitude, and seems just as urgent. just as immediate, and real-deal sincere and all that?

Hot Snakes: (Can't find who mentioned them but good job posting someone recent, brosef.)
This Bike is a Car Bomb Q And Not U!!! Defiance Ohio (get all their stuff for free @archive.org because they don't believe in making money)

and the band that makes me feel like I'm 15 all over again:
Against Me! listen to What We Worked For here:http://www.plan-it-x.com/mp3s/againstme-whatweworkedfor.mp3 (never been to the site just googled for an mp3)
For me this guy arguably has the best pipes in Punk of all time. :love:

• Members
Nobody has mentioned Cockney Rejects? Or The Adicts?

My punk mix lately has been:

The Adicts

Bad Brains

Black Flag

Cockney Rejects

Dead Kennedys

Minor Threat

Sex Pistols

Oooooooooooh!

Flares and Slippers! Good call.

I also loved the Toy Dolls.....

:thu: :thu: