OT: Bob Marley's guitarists..?

erksin

• Members

I was listening to 'Catch A Fire' in the car this afternoon and noticed some excellent soloing and killer tones, especially on 'Concrete Jungle'. Looked in the liner notes and it said Peter MacIntosh played guitar on the album - I'm assuming that's Peter Tosh? Man, he had some fat and tasty tones on this record.

The only other guy I'm familiar with from The Wailers is Chinna Smith - I assume he replaced Tosh when he left?

I'm a not a complete Reggae newb, but I never really payed attention to the instrumentation/players as much as the lyrics and vibe (and the drummers - I LOVE Reggae/Ska drummers, so jazzy and loose). They really were incredibly tight bands with excellent musicianship.

Any other great Reggae/Ska guitarists I should check out?

:idea:

• Members

Tosh was the man .,... he actually played a Breadwinner on a great deal of stuff like my own. I love Peter Tosh as a solo artist also ... he actually wrote Get Up Stand Up ... that was HIS baby. Great set of pipes he had too - sad about the gangster death he got from the local mob.

• Members

Erskin, I don't know if you're aware but there was a fair amount of overdubbing on Catch A Fire once the Wailers gave the tapes to Blackwell, who got in session players to give it a rock-orientated sound, esp with guitar solos. You can get a raw version of the album now.

• Members

The guitar player on "Concrete Jungle", "Stir It Up" and "Rock It Baby (We Got A Date" is WAYNE PERKINS. He was a Muscle Shoals swamper and IMO the GREATEST guitar player ever. Check out his discography. He's everywhere. I wish he was given the credit he deserves.

• Members

The guitar player on "Concrete Jungle", "Stir It Up" and "Rock It Baby (We Got A Date" is WAYNE PERKINS. He was a Muscle Shoals swamper and IMO the GREATEST guitar player ever. Check out his discography. He's everywhere. I wish he was given the credit he deserves.

Interesting - the copy of the CD I have is probably close to 20 years old, no mention of any other players other than The Wailers.

Well, Wayne certainly is a player - those tones on those songs are stellar IMO, and Reggae isn't the easiest {censored} to play over and sound good. I guess I need to look him up!

:wave:

• Members

Erskin, I don't know if you're aware but there was a fair amount of overdubbing on Catch A Fire once the Wailers gave the tapes to Blackwell, who got in session players to give it a rock-orientated sound, esp with guitar solos. You can get a raw version of the album now.

I don't know the history of the band, but was that one of the reasons Tosh left?

I'm not a huge Reggae fan or pretend to know any other groups past Burning Spear or Black Uhuru, but nobody even comes close to Bob, do they? He had everything - the songs, the sound, the vibe - everything. I know there must be other great bands out there, but I could honestly listen to his stuff all day long and not tire of it.

• Members

I believe Wayne was in the same studio the Wailers were in but working in a different room when "Catch A Fire" was being recorded. He was working on the next Smith Perkins Smith album. The reason why Wayne was not listed on the stuff released early on was because Blackwell wanted everyone to believe that the Wailers were that good. Don't get me wrong, they rock, but Wayne, again, is a badass. It was a good 20 years later that Wayne was finally recognized and given a platinum album for Legend (Stir It Up) and I believe a gold for Catch A Fire. Pick up a newer copy and it should have his credit. The solo alone from "Concrete Jungle" is what got him the audition and short lived job with the Stones. Keith wanted him in badly but Mick...that's a whole other story. Regardless,that's Wayne on Black & Blue as well as Tattoo You....hmmm, anyone remember "Fool To Cry"...that's my boy!

• Members

I don't know the history of the band, but was that one of the reasons Tosh left?

I'm not a huge Reggae fan or pretend to know any other groups past Burning Spear or Black Uhuru, but nobody even comes close to Bob, do they? He had everything - the songs, the sound, the vibe - everything. I know there must be other great bands out there, but I could honestly listen to his stuff all day long and not tire of it.

Bob Marley, as much as I love him, really isn't a great example of typical Reggae. His earliest records are, I suppose, but no-one ever thinks of those when they're talking about Bob.

My faves have always been guys like King Tubby, Burning Spear, Dennis Alcapone, Johnny Clarke, Big Youth, the Congos, etc etc.

Sam

• Members

And he brings a lot to that album. I have the edition with both the original previously unreleased Wailers only record, and the final, released album. As much as I love Marley and the Wailers, the studio guys too the material to a whole other level.

• Members

There's a DVD in the "Classic Albums" series on Catch A Fire, which has interviews with Chris Blackwell, Wayne Perkins, John "Rabbit" Bundrick, who played keys on Catch A Fire, Bunny Wailer, a dude called Jah Lloyd who was Bob's "Rasta guru" or something, and archive stuff from Bob Marley and Peter Tosh.

The interviews with the session players are particularly interesting. The overdubs were done at Island with Bob Marley in the studio. Bundrick talks about how Bob had to teach him how to play reggae organ, andWayne Perkins talks about how after he played the solo to Concrete Jungle, Bob Marley came running into the studio grinning and tried to cram a massive spliff into his mouth by way of thanks for the awesome guitar playing :D:thu:

• Members

The reason why Wayne was not listed on the stuff released early on was because Blackwell wanted everyone to believe that the Wailers were that good.

Not exactly. At the time, reggae was percieved as pretty dumb novelty music outside of black communities in the UK, so Island wanted to make the album more "rock" to appeal to white listeners used to Island's usual sound (they had Free, Nick Drake, John Martyn, Fairport Convention etc) and ease the Wailers into the mainstream, rather than release the album in its original full-on reggae form, which they thought would bomb.

• Members

All great info you guys, thanks!

Interesting the Wayne Perkins/Rolling Stones connection - Keef was getting way into Reggae at the time (and wasn't he good buddies with Tosh?), seems like a logical pairing.

Anybody have any of the New Barbarians stuff..?

Archived