So really, is it worth buying pedals if...?

DLDude

• Members

...you dont have a good amp?

Ive got some crappy 15w Crate amp. I love effects, and have been using an old V-amp2 to get my effects. I dont play out, but I do a fair bit of recording. So, if I get some sweet pedals (a verb, delay, etc), then wont it pretty much kill my tone running it through the V-amp anyway? I mean, I understand foot pedals have you a better sound, but since it's not running into a good amp (or even a good Amp mod), is it worth that 'tone'?

Reason being: I can lay down $300 on 3-4 nice pedals, or buy a PodXT

• Members

this question depends on a few factors i would say...

do you ever plan on playing out? will you ever be upgrading to a better amp setup? if so, then upgrading your pedals could be a good way to go. but honestly, if you are mostly just recording, i think your digital gadgets would be fine.

i could never rely on one of those, but i am also th idiot that dumps thousands of dollars into gear all the time.

• Members

I have been using $600 solid state Crate half stack for the past 2 years since I got back into playing. Although it is a bit big since I dont play out or even in bands anymore it does me just fine. I always have it on the clean channel and Iam a fuzz junky so I dont have a need for a better amp. Same with my guitar, a $200 Dean V and I love it more than my vintage gibsons I used to play in my club days. I spend my money on pedals:thu: .

• Members

Just get what you need. I record a lot but I also plan on playing out within the next 3 months. My amp has a horrible distortion channel so i got my TS 9. I wanted wah, so i got a wah. I wanted fuzz and a delay so i got those two. My reasoning : I am trying to get a metropoulos JTM 45/100 kit, and I won't have cash for that for a long time, so I get what I need. If I could choose between those pedals and the amp, I would take the amp, but these pedals are also accumulated over a year.

• Members

almost any rig in the world can sound good/great if one plays to its strengths.

with that said though, theres so, so many great amps out there for chump change, its foolish to put off the inevitable. it'll likely not only improve your recordings, but also save you lots of time in trying to find 'good' sounds.

• Members

There's nothing wrong with buying a bunch of cool pedals to go with your rig.

BUT, I would caution that what sounds good through your current setup may not sound good through your future setup. It's probably best to have a guitar and amp that you plan on sticking with for awhile before investing a lot of money into pedals.

• Members

Problem is buying and amp is that I really probably will never play out. That means the only logical point to having an amp would be to give the guitar better tone and the availability to use Pedals, which means i'm spending $1000 instead of $300.

Not to mention I also live in a smallish apartment that an amp probably would not fit in (as in, the neighbors would kill me).

• Members

So get a small, low-output tube amp like an Epiphone Valve Jr. They can be had new for less than $100.

to put it in context though, i just played my VJ through an 8" in the kitchen while my son is sleeping upstairs. to keep things quiet enough, the VJ was kept barely at 1, or it was turned up and the room volume controlled by the level control on my overdrive. real cool amp, but not neccessarily the best tool for the job of apartment amp.

if it were me (and it has been, on occasion), a decent pedalboard paired with a sans-amp modeller into the recording device/mixer would be the way to go.

• Members
Problem is buying and amp is that I really probably will never play out. That means the only logical point to having an amp would be to give the guitar better tone and the availability to use Pedals, which means i'm spending $1000 instead of $300.

Not to mention I also live in a smallish apartment that an amp probably would not fit in (as in, the neighbors would kill me).

play the kazoo! end of problem........man! really ya wanna play electric guitar and sound good? buy a Dr. Z. Maz............and live once!!:thu:

• Members

If you're looking to play out eventually, then you should upgrade the amp, and buy a mic, use your computer for effects.

If you ONLY plan to record, and never play out, then the PodXT is an amazing device for recording, especially DI work, in which case your amp won't even matter.

I cannot recommend running any type of pedals through a 15W crate. While it's fine for practice, at that point I'd rather have a PodXT if I was recording/practicing.

If you're not a tone snob the PodXT will be decent for playing out too *if* you upgrade your amp. I have a friend who runs his guitar into a podxtpro into an old Univox tube amp, and some of the tones the pod produce are shocking to say the least.

Archived