So really, is it worth buying pedals if...?

DLDude

• Members

if this is about tone-searching, and exercises in physical engineering (read: mic placement on amps w/ volume), then the first correct tool the job is a mic'd amp.

if this is about songwriting demos, and wanting to have the flanger (or whatever) of your choice at your feet, while not ever disturbing neighbors, you'd be hard pressed to beat the designed-by-you-for-your-sounds pedalboard-->sans-amp (or similar simple, analog modeller) model.

• Members

for bedroom noodling and recording, i'd stick with a good multi-fx / amp modeling pedal through headphones or whatever speakers, effects returns, mixers, poweramps, or etc. you have.

your wallet will thank you, and you'll have great tone (if you know how to set everything up) and plenty of options.

• Members

You can get the Pignose G40V for $300 new, or you can shop around and get it used for about $150, leaving you another $150 for a mic and an effect or two. It's also ridiculously small, but it is gig volume (so you can play out if you ever do get the chance), so it might be too loud for your apartment. In that case, I'd get an Epiphone Valve Junior combo, which is a 5w (as opposed to the 40w Pignose), so you'd probably be fine in your apartment, and can be had on Ebay for $50-75, which would leave you plenty of money for a mic and 3 (or maybe 4, depending on what you want) effects. Also, with a mic, the Epi could be used at a gig.

Even if you are just a home musician, getting at least the Epi would be a good idea. I don't know if I'd bother with the XT. I'd probably get the 2.0 or maybe the Magicstomp.

• Members

Oh yeah, the main question. If it's down to getting a few individual pedals to go with your V-Amp, or a PodXt (or equivalent multi-pedal), I'd definitely go for the Pod. I've only used the amp forms of Behringer modelers, but it took pedals very badly. Worse than my old Crate 15w, as a mater of fact.:thu:

• Members

I agree with the posts about good amp first, then good guitar, then good effects last. But if you're only playing in your apartment (I know what that's like, thankfully I live in a 24/7 house now), then yeah, even a Valve Jr. is too loud. Hell, I have a ZVex Nano amp which is only 1/2 watt and even that is too loud if I don't want to disturb people sleeping upstairs. The POD XT is a pretty good way to go for recording IMO, not as good as a quality amp mic'd up with good mic pres and great pedals blah blah. But there's no way you'll be able to get a super duper mic'd tone at apartment levels IMO. I may have missed it, but what is your recording setup?

Archived