Where do you prefer the 9v DC input on a pedal?

Speeddemon

• Members

Here's a poll, since I'm contemplating some layout changes for HWA pedals.

You see, I've always built my pedals with the 9V input on the top-side, just like Boss etc, because that seemed the most logical and care-free.

But lots of boutique builders place their 9V inputs close to the input or output jacks on a 1590B (MXR) sized pedal.

The advantages of this are mainly for the builder: there's always room there next to the footswitch AND it leaves more room over the potmeters for a larger PCB (circuit board).

The downside (IMHO) is for the end-user: the input is so close to the in- or output jack, that you can't use an angled plug, which means that the pedal will take up more space on your pedalboard.

But if most people don't mind, I might change it to the builder-friendly position there on my next version of the MiG*Boost, because I'm thinking of adding some stuff (maybe even a tone-control pot), which would require a larger PCB.

So your input (no pun intended) is greatly appreciated in this matter.

• Members
The downside (IMHO) is for the end-user: the input is so close to the in- or output jack, that you can't use an angled plug, which means that the pedal will take up more space on your pedalboard.

You can't just point the angled jack in the other direction? I can even squeeze it under the input on some of my pedals. Anyway, I vote in/out/9v all on the top/back-side.

• Members
You can't just point the angled jack in the other direction? I can even squeeze it under the input on some of my pedals. Anyway, I vote in/out/9v all on the top/back-side.

Well, usually the cables go to the 'top' side of the pedalboard, which means that if the 9V DC is too close to the output jack, there's no room to have that cable guided underneath the plug in the output jack.

But seeing how the poll is going, top-side it will remain, I think. :)

I see several options, and not all of them were listed on the poll. ;) Input (right) side, output (left) side, or on top, or underside ala the Zvex plates..... or battery only. Of all of those, I probably prefer the top, although a side mounting point doesn't bother me too much - as long as it has decent clearance from the I/O jacks. I know this isn't the way most pedals are done, but I'd prefer it so it is above (towards the top) and not beneath the I/O jacks - IMO that makes wiring between side mount and top mount equipped pedals a little easier on a board. I'd rather have it on the input (right) side of the pedal if it's going to be on the side and not the top.

• Members

Well, here and there people seem to like all jacks on the top-side...

I think I will do that with larger pedals, like 1590BB's, but with smaller pedals the jacks would take up too much valuable PCB room there.

Ofcourse with the 125-B enclosures, the height is bigger, but if only someone would create such diecast enclosures with a small ramp, like a smaller diecast version of Fulltone's '69, '70, etc. enclosures.

Archived