the FASTEST RECORDING you've ever done?

dZjupp

• Members

so my new band is finally laying down some material which we just found out lastnight that our guitarist with the logic and new pro mac got a firebox for the week. so lastnight we scrambled to get the drums set up which we did and they sound killer (he works for a sound production company-so any mics we want).

Now i've recorded a few albums eps whatever but never in one week. has any of you guys done the process this fast? i want to do like 6 songs, which i think is possible.... 2 guitars, one vocal, bass and drums, thats it really..

• Members

i did my high school band's demo with 6 sm58s, a pa mixer, and a two input usb audio interface for my ibook with garageband. it took two nights to do two songs, basically one for drums and one for overdubs of guitar/bass/vox.

you can take that billy corgan track-by-track approach or since you apparently have access to equipment and possibly space, i'd recommend just trying to record it 'live' a couple times then pick out the best parts of the performances and edit it together with logic (that is unless you're bob dylan and just print the whole damn take)

just my two cents

• Members

We have been doing our album with about 11 songs for 2 years now. :cry:

I go tonight to lay down some rhythm tracks on guitar to the newest song. I am sort of anal and take a while doing my overdubs/tracking. Plus the studio we go to is expensive and we keep having to put it off. *sigh*

• Members
We have been doing our album with about 11 songs for 2 years now.
:cry:

I go tonight to lay down some rhythm tracks on guitar to the newest song. I am sort of anal and take a while doing my overdubs/tracking. Plus the studio we go to is expensive and we keep having to put it off. *sigh*

sheesh, that would drive me insane

well the way we are doing it is setting down some throw away tracks with me and the guitarist and my vox to a metronome, and then having the drummer track to that. he said he would prefer it like that but i don't know if he's ever recorded that way.
i've always recorded live, and the guitarist whose is doing most of the recording work is a seasoned pro who has done everything. so it will be interesting to see what happens in the time we have.

• Members

Our first album which was pretty bad production-wise (but had great punk asthetics!) was done very quickly, drums and guitar on one to two takes at the same time, mostly one take for the bass and a two a piece for the vox. Two days, 12 songs.

Our fastest 'ggood' recording was 2 hours from fragment of a song idea to finished mix, each instrument individually tracked. That was an amazing experience, the band really came together writing it. It was so good we used that demo when we started recording the next album (all done in the basement with Cakewalk, turned out pretty good but that demo was special).

• Members

see i rather like the idea of havnig to rush things because i believe the music comes out better. not necc having a rushed atmosphere or attitude but just an immediacy like a live concert, i think more emotion comes out of a performance like that.

• Members

i had to get a demo for a show i wanted to play (that i didn't get into) and we put off recording it until the day of. 1 hour for drums, 2 guitars, bass, and vocals. sounded like {censored}, and i'm hoping that the recording is why we didn't make it in rather than a lack of talent. i know my band was better than 4 of the 5 bands that made it. (one of the bands's dad owned the radio station that put on the concert)

• Members

sheesh, that would drive me insane

well the way we are doing it is setting down some throw away tracks with me and the guitarist and my vox to a metronome, and then having the drummer track to that. he said he would prefer it like that but i don't know if he's ever recorded that way.

i've always recorded live, and the guitarist whose is doing most of the recording work is a seasoned pro who has done everything. so it will be interesting to see what happens in the time we have.

Yes, it sucks but I really wanted to make the songs the best I could with the most available funding. I am not in a rush to put the album (obviously) out because we don't plan on being rockstars or anything.

I admit that now it is becoming annoying and we are going to mix what we have done so far after this song just to have something decent to sell/give away at shows. A bid part of the problem was that we had lost our drummer for 6 months and had to start over with a new guy. Next one we do will not be so meticulous and have more of a live feel.

• Members

When I first saw the title I immediately thought, "Brewtal metal apreggios at 666 beats per minute!!!".

Depending on what it's for, sometimes I've had to do one take then move on no matter what due to a deadline, that speeds things up considerably... :eek:

• Members

Depends on the quality you're seeking, the tightness of the band, he skill of the engineer, whether or not you involve the band in mixing, etc, etc.

The album I just did was recorded and mixed in a month, which is pretty quick for a major label album...especially cutting 14 songs.

GRINGO

• Members

We have been doing our album with about 11 songs for 2 years now.
:cry:

I'm betting at least 6 of those hours were spent chanting Ranal Ape though! :idea:

I've done entire albums in under 10 hours, and single songs that took a month / albums that took years.

The better prepared everyone is (IOW, well rehearsed, arrangements worked out in advance, etc.) the quicker you can work. The less "picky" you are, the quicker you can work. The more you rely on the engineer to "fix stuff", the longer it will take.

Neither fast or slow is always the "right or wrong" approach... it just depends. :)

Archived