What do you think of the Arion SAD-3?

• Members

Yeah, but the sad-1 is $100 +, no?

Any cheap analog delays out there that I might want to use instead of the sad-3? I have a DD-6, and want to try analog.... I find I don't ever need to use 5 seconds of delay time :rolleyes:. It's nice for like 1 second delays and such, but I would also like a delay that does 300 ms or something... just to add some life to a live sound.

• Members
  • Members

the SAD-1, FX90 and FX96 are about the cheapest decent analog delays you can find. the SAD-3 is much cheaper, but it isn't decent. ;) Jaques prisoner analog delay is also cheap but it isn't really analog, I heard. there are some other boutique delays that are really cheap that claim to be analog but use the PT2399 chip which is digital, like the Artec ADL2. buyer beware!

EDIT: I can't remember if it's either the johnson delay or the prisoner that isn't analog. I know one is.

• Members
the SAD-1, FX90 and FX96 are about the cheapest decent analog delays you can find. the SAD-3 is much cheaper, but it isn't decent.
;)
Jaques prisoner analog delay is also cheap but it isn't really analog, I heard. there are some other boutique delays that are really cheap that claim to be analog but use the PT2399 chip which is digital,
like the Artec ADL2
. buyer beware!

EDIT: I can't remember if it's either the johnson delay or the prisoner that isn't analog. I know one is.

ive played that! i didnt knwo it was digital. it wasnt that great. artec is korean, you know...

and tolling bells the only one out of those 3 thats analog is the washburn, id hit it though!

• Members

Hmm... that's interesting.

Ooohh how are the fx90 and fx96? Anyone used them before? they pique my interest.

Too bad the johnson / strange purple delay aren't analog. How do you know the washburn is? Just experience? The seller hasn't even plugged it in either, so I don't even know if it works... :freak:

I'll probably end up getting an sad-1 anyway.

• Members

Jaques prisoner analog delay is also cheap but it isn't really analog, I heard.

The Prisoner is analog - I had one, the SAD-1 replaced it.

• Members
Is there different versions of the SAD-1, because I just picked one up (for 30 bucks), and I've got to say, I'm not overly impressed.

Mine's grey, made in Japan.

The grey box versions are the earliest ones and tend to fetch the most cash - if you don't like it, flip it for $150 on eBay... :wave:

So what don't you like about it? Just curious... :confused:

• Members
The grey box versions are the earliest ones and tend to fetch the most cash - if you don't like it, flip it for $150 on eBay...
:wave:

So what don't you like about it? Just curious...
:confused:

Well hot damn.. ($$)

I find the oscillation a little too harsh and choppy (compared to the DMM), and it only works with a relatively short delay time.

Also, it's not really lo-fi enough as it decays.

It all just seems a little plain jane so far, but I'll have another few cracks at her and see what happens.

• Members

Well hot damn.. ($$)

I find the oscillation a little too harsh and choppy (compared to the DMM), and it only works with a relatively short delay time.

Also, it's not really lo-fi enough as it decays.

It all just seems a little plain jane so far, but I'll have another few cracks at her and see what happens.

Well, it is a short delay (300ms or so) - maybe you were expecting too much?

The lack of 'lo-fi' ness is exactly it's strong point to many - much clearer and and has more headroom than an AD-9, for example.

If you want a really lo-fi sounding delay with smooth oscillation, check out a '70s DOD 680 - you'll be in heaven...

• Members

Well, it
is
a short delay (300ms or so) - maybe you were expecting too much?

The lack of 'lo-fi' ness is exactly it's strong point to many - much clearer and and has more headroom than an AD-9, for example.

If you want a really lo-fi sounding delay with smooth oscillation, check out a '70s DOD 680 - you'll be in heaven...

right on, I'll keep my eyes open for that one.

I don't mind the short delay time, I meant that I was put off that it can't really oscillate from it's longer delay settings.

but really, ever delay pedal I play gets compared to the DMM, and well.. it's the greatest pedal I've played.

(nice avatar by the way... hoser)

• Members
(nice avatar by the way... hoser)

Thanks, eh! :wave:

The 680 is also a short timer (like 330ms), but it oscillates really easily and the repeats are very dark and grainy at the highest settings. Very cool pedal - I should have kept mine... :cry:

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Posted this on another thread also, but just to get the fact straight I'll leave it here also.

Referring to the artec SE-ADL. I don't know who that guy that took it apart is or how much does he know about electronics but I just got one and opened it up and here's what I found.

There are two chips on it, and only one has 8 pins like the PT2399 digital delay chip that is supposed to be used in the artec pedal. The outside is different than what on the PT2399 datasheet though. In the datasheet for it it shows this is a TTL chip (5 Volt supply + or - 0.25V). Well, the 8 pin chip in the artec pedal is getting 9 V in pin 1,8,9 and 16, which would either fry or cause a malfunction in the PT2399 chip. So either they stopped using this chip or the guy that claimed this is wrong.

Archived