Hey Bowie Fans! What's your fav Bowie album for guitar?

• Members

I haven't started a thread in a while, and this could very well flop. But here goes - I'm testing the water here in the FX Forum, because I am a Bowie nut. Bowie's albums between 1972 - 1983 contain some of my favorite guitar work in Rock History, and it runs the gamut of genres. Anyone else out there share my enthusiasm?

Which album do you think contains the most innovative guitar work?

• Members

Lodger, Adrian Belew's solo on DJ is in-fricking-sane. Low and Heroes has Fripp on it, but those are both a bit more synth oriented. Ziggy Stardust's guitar work to me sounds like a rehash of T. Rex's stuff (Although I love Ziggy Stardust, it is not his most original album sonicly)

Station to Station is great but nothing sticks out to me (love the album though), Diamond Dogs is my favorite Bowie album and some of the guitar riffs are great (he plays most of the guitar except for the 1984 solo, that is Earl Slick) but it still has nothing on Mr. Belew.

Young Americans, Aladdin Sane, Scary Monsters, and Let's Dance are good, but they are not my favorite albums so I'm just going to ignore them.

There is some great guitar work on his pre-Ziggy stuff btw too.

• Members

Love Bowie. Can't seem to pick any one particular guitar album - there's so many good ones. He's had some of the most interesting guitarists in rock play with him. I even like the guitar work of his later bands.

Funny, because I was just listening to Hunky Dory in the car yesterday.
Quicksand makes me cry.

• Members

I'm a huge Bowie nut. Saw him touring Earthling & was at the Fan Club show @ the Roseland Ballroom in '00 or '01 (don't remember). Gabrels was with in for the Earthling show & it was absolutely fantastic. May be the best band Bowie has ever toured with as they were able to do justice to stuff from the 70s (largely due to Mike Garson on the keys! :love: ) and also do the Drum 'n' Bass/Industrial 90s stuff. Very cool show.

I can't vote. The Berlin albums are probably my favorite Bowie output, but the Mick Ronson stuff is hard to beat for riffs. I still get stuck sometimes playing the intro to 'Width of a Circle'.

Was having a few beers and playing simple punk/blues/rawk stuff with a good friend last night & we did Queen Bitch & Hang on to Yourself.

Bowie = What a freakin' career!!! :eek:

• Members
space odity is before 72 but is also great...

my vote would go to santa monica '72 live, which is also not in your list

Is that one a bootleg? Or is it a bonus disc?

I set up the poll so that everyone can vote for more than one choice.

I have a hard time choosing as well. Ronson for great riffs. Alomar for funkiness and simplicity. Slick for fire. Fripp for textures. Belew for over-the-top madness. SRV for pure tastiness.

Bowie plays quite a bit of electric guitar on Diamond Dogs, which is wonderfully loose and trashy :love:

• Members
I have a hard time choosing as well. Ronson for great riffs. Alomar for funkiness and simplicity. Slick for fire. Fripp for textures. Belew for over-the-top madness. SRV for pure tastiness.

Gabrels for all of the above. Sorry, I'm just a huge Reeves fan. Best guitar player Bowie has ever worked with, IMO, and I love all the seventies and most of the eighties stuff as well, started listening to Bowie with "Let's Dance" because of SRV and went back from there. For classic songs that I know and love from beginning to end, Ziggy Stardust, but for best straight out guitar playing (this may not count as "Bowie" per se, but here goes) Tin Machine. Gabrels first solo right off the bat on "Heaven's In Here" is like bottled rage.:thu:

• Members

I'm sorry, Alan Parker plays the 1984 guitar solo. . . Earl Slick toured with Bowie and played guitar on 2 songs on Young Americans.

Lust for Life is a Berlin album (although Iggy Pop) with great guitar playing all over it. One of my favorite guitar albums.

I think peolpe are just voting for their favorite album. . . because while Ronson is a great guitarist, the guitar work isn't that original and innovative. Belew blows him out of the water in that regard. According to the thread title I'd pick Ziggy though, but according to the poll title I wouldn't. (Ziggy Stardust is like the only Bowie album you can pull out a guitar and play each and every song and feel satisfied)

• Members
I'm sorry, Alan Parker plays the 1984 guitar solo. . . Earl Slick toured with Bowie and played guitar on 2 songs on Young Americans.

Lust for Life is a Berlin album (although Iggy Pop) with great guitar playing all over it. One of my favorite guitar albums.

I think peolpe are just voting for their favorite album. . . because while Ronson is a great guitarist, the guitar work isn't that original and innovative. Belew blows him out of the water in that regard. According to the thread title I'd pick Ziggy though, but according to the poll title I wouldn't. (Ziggy Stardust is like the only Bowie album you can pull out a guitar and play each and every song and feel satisfied)

I was wondering the same thing, if the poll doesn't really reflect guitar innovation; but that could just be our personal bias. All of the Berlin era stuff is totally groundbreaking and influential for its time, but I reckon that a lot folks still find it somewhat inaccessible. :thu: to Iggy "Lust for Life" and to "The Idiot". Iggy and Bowie recorded the holy grails of post-punk before punk even peaked. This is hilarious stuff. All those poor American housewives didn't know what hit them.

I'm pretty sure that Earl Slick plays most of the lead work on "Station to Station." I'll have to look that one up.

• Members

I think of all the music I listened to & identified with during my 'formative years' Bowie was probably the most important, opened the most doors & most informed my future tastes. I can't even imagine looking at music without his monster-sized piece of the puzzle. I don't listen to him as often as I did in high school, or with the same bravado, but my friends and I can still get misty-eyed over some beers listening to peak-era Bowie. It's really like nothing else. If you're the sort of person who likes a little drama & swish in your Rock 'n' Roll, likes it dolled up a bit & not in a {censored}ty prog/M.O.R. kinda' way, it really just doesn't get much better. . . Add to that the cast of characters that surrounded him. Man, thanks for starting this thread!!! :blah:

• Members

it's all about Mick Ronson. the best Bowie album period is The Man Who Sold the World IMHO, after that its a tie between Hunky Dory and Ziggy

I look at him as a progressive artist. . . everything until Scary Monsters was progressively better and better. Then Let's Dance is a big step in the wrong direction.

• Members

it's all about Mick Ronson. the best Bowie album period is The Man Who Sold the World IMHO, after that its a tie between Hunky Dory and Ziggy

I look at him as a progressive artist. . . everything until Scary Monsters was progressively better and better. Then Let's Dance is a big step in the wrong direction.

Archived