Show Me Your Relic Telecaster!!

KjStrat62

• Members

But it looks a lot better! So as long as your {censored} plays and sounds good, why not have it look cool?

its a thin line between cool and poseur.

real life bangedupedness = cool

store-bought relic = ?

• Members

Not a clear line between "real-life-bangup-ness" and "relic-ing" IMO.

Let's say you throw your guitar around at gigs and in your house because you're careless. Isn't this a form of relic-ing? It's still intentional abuse. You're just doing it at a slightler slower pace than a "weekend relic-er."

Thoughts?

• Members

Let's say you throw your guitar around at gigs and in your house because you're careless. Isn't this a form of relic-ing? It's still intentional abuse. You're just doing it at a slightler slower pace than a "weekend relic-er."

Thoughts?

My '61 silvertone u1 came to me aged, by age. TEH finish has stress lines from temp changes. THe finish is worn around the edges & in certian spots & I've never cared to count all the dings but only a few were from me. One time I was standing in front of my work playing & the strap came undone. My heart stopped when it hit headstocktip first. Added another bit of charactor & didn't even go out of tune.

Try that with yr givson!.

The first time I knicked my ric bass I almost cried. I don't really mind damage or wear, as long as the instrument sounds/plays really well.

• Members

Sorry, but it's been part of my upbringing that if you work hard and save your money to buy something nice, you take good care of it. I baby my guitars to avoid the relic'd look. Just my personal preference, but I don't quite get how a banged up looking guitar is cooler looking than one that has been lovingly cared for. And paying a premium for an artificially relic'd one just seems like insanity to me. Oh well, to each their own.

That being said, I do own a 1980 Gibson Les Paul custom silverburst that was in pretty rough condition when I bought it used. But it played and sounded amazing. I've had it for over 15 years myself and will never part with it.

• Members

Thoughts?

like i said, its a thin line.

but, this:

L6-S001.jpg

has had the piss played out of it. had nothing to do with being tossed around, though i hardly spoiled it. no finish left on much of the fretboard, wear marks and finsh checking.

this:

telenewpic.jpg

may have had the piss played out of it, but it spent time with a sander.

that just leaves me confused.

as i said, relic'd = ?

edit: and with that said, the tele above, imho, now deserves to be fully shed of its factory coat. stain if needed, light light poly, and it'll ring like it should. and it'll wear easier.

• Members

comfortablynumb, mine is very similar to yours, what year is that? mines a '78

http://www.alteredsounds.com/tele.gif

Mine is an '85 or '86 MIJ. I really love it.. it needs some setup work right now, and as soon as I can afford to get it done, it'll be a beast. :)

Your's looks awesome, by the way. Have any more pictures? I really like the black pickguard.. and I usually don't.

Archived