Recommend a Flanger

Mark Vasquez

• Members

Like ChuckNorris1982 says, the DOD FX75C is pretty decent, and costs next to nothing. I can't get mine to do anything very extreme- no jet plane wooshes, no self-oscillation, just nice warbly tripped out wobbliness for the most part, and some weird trash can clangs. Think Andy Summers' flange/chorus sounds on Police songs, and the vintage flanges on things like Electric Ladyland and you're in the ballpark, although to really nail those old 60s tape machine "through-zero" flange sounds you'll need either a recording studio, or a Foxrox TZF. Putting it like that kinda puts the hefty price tag of the TZF in perspective... :D

FYI, there's a BYOC flanger kit coming out some time in september/october that BYOC Keith (another DOD FX75C fan!) reckons takes the best elements of the MXR and the vintage/rare A/DA flanger, allows for self oscillation and all kinds of fun tweaks, plus stereo operation which, IIRC, the MXR won't do.

• Members

whats wrong with the MXR one?

nothing. I want one to, I've just got to save up the cash cause they're sort of expensive for a flanger. Well I want the EVH one-I'll admit it's because it looks cool.

I've only played with it in the store but so far I like what I've heard. The reviews on here seem to be pretty good to.

• Members

Check out the MXR M-117, it's the most organic flanger out there that I've heard so far.... the only thing is, you'll need a Dunlop Powerbrick or something similar to run it b/c it needs either 2 x 9v batteries (which it eats), or an 18v power source.

But, it has "the" sound IMO.

Good luck hunting !

• Members
i am waiting for the Byoc

Definitely. The write up on the BYOC site, and the mod potential make me very, very interested- given that Keith says that pretty much all the mods you can do to the chorus or the delay can be performed on the flanger, plus the BYOC forum people will probably come up with more when they get a look at the kit, it's going to be a real tweaker's delight! If you're going to do any of the mods, make sure you order a bigger enclosure from smallbear when you order your kit from BYOC :thu:

FYI, this thread here has more info on the BYOC flanger than the write up on the main BYOC site.

• Members

Check out the MXR M-117, it's the most organic flanger out there that I've heard so far.... the only thing is, you'll need a Dunlop Powerbrick or something similar to run it b/c it needs either 2 x 9v batteries (which it eats), or an 18v power source.

But, it has "the" sound IMO.

Good luck hunting !

I have a MXR EVH which is pretty cool , Im also interested in the EHX new mistress. I do have a MX117 re-issue , but I think the EVH is better:thu:

• Members
so im looking for a flanger, my first flanger was the dano diner flanger, then i got a boss bf3 and i hate em both one was cheap and the other confusing but not that bad in sound. now im wanting an mxr flanger what you guys think?
:confused:

Take a small screwdriver and adjust a few of the small trimpots inside the BF-3 and see if you like the changes - just make a note of how they were lined up to start with so you can return it to stock settings.

Part of the trick with flangers is getting the pre-delay (Manual) control set right, they can be kind of picky. A short delay time with a wide flange sweep is what makes that rich jet-plane flanger sound.

But really, tweak around with the internals, my BF-2 sweetened up a lot when I did it - don't really recall the specific changes I made, but it was pretty simple.

I've always wanted to try the tc electronic corp flanger - the best I ever played was the famed A/DA - they're around $300+ if you can find 'em. They sound wonderful.

• Members

I'm pretty sure it's analog and I haven't noticed it doing anything to my sound when it's off. Naturally, when it's on it affects the sound, but aside from the flange effect, any changes (if any !) are for the better. The M-117 is a good pedal man - I wasn't sold on the EVH but there are a lot of fans of that model too.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one as I think the EVH mod is based on the M-117. Just spend a few minutes dialling it in the way you like and remebmber the settings !!!!! - mine always get moved when I put my pedal board into it's case.

Later.

Archived