Synth sound effects

les_rokr

• Members
What are some good synth-sounding effect pedals?

I play a lot of electronica, but I kinda wanted to spread it around to the guitar instead of just keys and synth.

:cool: I want to play in your band.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23287625&postcount=2

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1698075

• Members

Hi les_rokr,

I got into synths for a little while over the last couple years. However, I've been playing guitar since 2000. I find it pretty interesting that many of the effects that are built into synths come in pedal form (phaser, flanger, delay, reverb, tremolo, etc.). I agree with Urinate Forever (what a lovely name) that Moog pedals are awesome. I have the Moog 12-stage phaser pedal. It is by far the warmest, thickest, nicest sounding phaser I've ever used. It can be extremely subtle to where it's unnoticeable or taken all the way to the weird robotic sounds of ring modulation.

In order to copy the slower ADSR settings on a synth, I'd have to recommend a volume pedal. That way you can slowly fade your sound in and out like a nice synth pad. If you're REALLY good, you can get by with your guitar's volume knob, but the pedal is hands-free.

Another suggestion would be to try combining pedals. While Moog pedals are VERY smooth sounding (and expensive), sometimes using cheaper or digital pedals can create synth sounds. The Boss MT-2 isn't considered that great of a pedal, but combine it with a phaser or flanger and it creates a cool "digital/synthy" sound. Also, using high rate settings on pedals can often make VERY wacky non-guitar-like sounds. Since synths can use square wave oscillators, fuzz (which is usually square wave distortion) pedals can simulate that pretty well. And don't forget some delay, too!

You have to be a bit creative when it comes to making guitar sound synth-like. Experiment, combine effects, and see what you can up with. I hope this helps! :)

• Members

Also try the ElectroHarmonix "HOG" Harmonic Overtone Generator Guitar Synthesiser. I'm seriously considering on using it for guitar synth sounds, really thick wierdy synthy drones and undertones and overtones etc. You can also have pitch-wheel like effects on it and a wah-wah! And also an accurate-tracking octaver.

• Members

I just checked out the sound samples for the Digitech Synth Wah. That thing sounds pretty damn cool! I'm curious if any other companies make filter pedals as versatile? I know EHX has the various Q-tron style pedals. Can they sound as synth-like as the Digitech?

And Fender&EXH4ever, you have a very impressive EHX-only pedal board! I'd love to have some of those!

• Members

I just checked out the sound samples for the Digitech Synth Wah. That thing sounds pretty damn cool! I'm curious if any other companies make filter pedals as versatile? I know EHX has the various Q-tron style pedals. Can they sound as synth-like as the Digitech?

And Fender&EXH4ever, you have a very impressive EHX-only pedal board! I'd love to have some of those!

:wave: anindrew :D

I have a Digitech Synth Wah. I bought it for a mere $30, though some would say I paid too much. It gets a bad rap, and I'm not sure why. Like many Digitech pedals of the last couple of years, the various Types (modes) on the Synth Wah are approximations of other classic pedals. Types 1 and 2 mimic the EHX Q-Tron (or the Mutron I suppose). Types 3 and 4 mimic the EHX Bass Balls. In many ways, the Synth Wah is much cleaner and consistent than any of the original filters, but the tones are very digital sounding as well (which doesn't really bother me when I'm trying to find synth tones anyway). I find it to be an incredible value for all of its versatility.

• Members
:wave:
anindrew
:D

I have a Digitech Synth Wah. I bought it for a mere $30, though some would say I paid too much. It gets a bad rap, and I'm not sure why. Like many Digitech pedals of the last couple of years, the various Types (modes) on the Synth Wah are approximations of other classic pedals. Types 1 and 2 mimic the EHX Q-Tron (or the Mutron I suppose). Types 3 and 4 mimic the EHX MicroSynth. I think that 5 and 6 mimic an Octaver with a PolyPhase, but I'm not sure which ones. In many ways, the Synth Wah is much cleaner and consistent than any of the original filters, but the tones are very digital sounding as well (which doesn't really bother me when I'm trying to find synth tones anyway). I find it to be an incredible value for all of its versatility.

WORD

Archived