Thoughts On Auto-Wah..

redfox0147

• Members

• Members

I have a Moog LPF which does the auto wah thing, and I like it a lot.

But for straight up auto wah stuff, look into the vintage DOD which has been cloned by BYOC and Tonefactor. Also, Robopimp (I think) has ripped into some great sounds though the newer DOD autowah.

If you are a DIY-type of guy, there's the McMeat, which is a copy of the famous Meatball envelope filter.

c

• Members

i have a little cheap MIJ aria auto wah from the 80's that sat in a shop for like 2 yrs. I actually had a dream Id buy it. I did for $17. Its a cool for little fun moments, but I use it when I play clean as a filter. Its not the best one out there, but it sure adds something dark and bassy and cool under some of my dirt boxes. I was going to get rid of it, but its alot of fun. every guitarist should have at least ONE fun pedal for a little something "diffy"

• Members

+1 hated that thing. NOISE box is right. that thing buzzed like a mofo.
:freak:

:confused: Dude. Mine is super-clean. No extraneous noise, hiss, etc.

Type 7 (the auto wah mode) sounds most like a typical auto-wah when the CONTROL knob to 12:00. The SENS knob adjusts the rate, and the RANGE knob adjusts the width/depth/range (surprise). Once you start playing with the CONTROL knob in Type 7, the shape of the filter strays from a recognizable auto wah, but it's still fun.

If the synth wah goes off the market any time soon, I predict that it will be one of those boxes in 10 years time that guitarists will be scrounging around for, like the Space Station. It seems to follow the trend of mass-produced > user-rejected > traded-in > forgotten. $.02

• Members

i've had a boss aw-2? forever. i never use it. it only sounds good w/ limited use and the sensitivity has to be set very, very low so it doesn't wah on every note - only when you pick hard enough. on occassion i do like to run it w/ an octave and some fuzz - you can get a really mean sound.

• Members

I love my synth wah. I don't use the type 7 auto wah a lot, but I like the type 1 env filter, and the type 3, 4, 5 filter/synths. The square wave synthesis is fun, and if you set the controls right, you get this really wacky "boing" sound out of type 4. If you turn down the sens on type 5, you get your basic octave-down square wave synth bass, which is a neat effect for heavy rhythm riffs. If you use 5 or 6 and mess with the controls you can get a vocal type sound, very vowal-like oohs and aahs. It definitely is a nice noisebox, and mine is absolutely silent/non-tone-ruining.

• Members

I have a Zvex Seek Wah that sounds good. Not sure if you would classify it as a standard auto wah. It has a sequencer built in to cycle throught the wah stages. There are a couple of issues with it however: 1. There is a slight drop in volume whenever the pedal is engaged. 2. This is one of the originals before they had the tap tempo function. So it drives me up the wall if its not in sync. The little knob isn't very acurate either (tempo). My band has a song that I start with a few nice 7th chords while the wah is cycling slowly, and it sounds nice. However I am not sure how practical it would be to use it very much. They do have the tap tempo function on newer models though. So I am sure you could do some really interesting things with it.

• Members

I have an AW-2. its the secret weapon.. i use it to do slow sweeping of the frequencies, like a phaser but more subtle and interesting. i wish it had a wet/dry mix on it though.

the AW-3 is how the PH-3 is compared to a PH-1. digital and sound-swallowing.

Archived