OD Pedal questions & suggestions!

SkyofOnyx

• Members

I'm contemplating getting a Fender Twin Reverb for those godly cleans, and a couple of drive pedals for my gains, but I'm kind of hesitant.

Is it possible to shape a great gain tone out of pedals? I mean ones that can compete with high gain tube heads? Or will the dynamics and feel be of the sterile solid state style? Also, depening on the pedal, will I be able to turn down my guitar volume and get good dirt, then open it back up to full on high gain cream? There are a few times when I need to get super heavy, so I don't if that is possible with this sort of setup..

I'm downgrading after selling my Bogner XTC. I've never really thought about a rig this way, and I'm not picky about prices, so fill me in all you pedal fiends! :D

• Members

I think it'd be fine. I've used pedals through a Twin Reverb and it sounded great.

Plus, tons of people have high gain tube heads who use dirt pedals, and those people sound good.

True, true. Do you think it (Twin + OD Pedal) would have enough power though? I mean, I have no intention of playing for a stadium or anything, but I would like it to be at least club worthy, you know!?

I tried out a little Boss DynaDrive today and it was actually pretty cool. Very sensitive to my picking strength and guitar volume... Loved the OD tone too, very tight and creamy.

• Members

Good stuff here guys.

One more thing. I know that solid state can sound extremely thin and weak when turned up. But because I will be using a Twin tube amp, I should be able to get plenty of bass and punch no matter which pedal I use, right???

I certainly hope so!

• Members

....I know that solid state can sound extremely thin and weak when turned up.......!

i wish the guys in the street-rumbling honda civics knew that.

when you are asking if a twin is worthy of stage use, you might wanna admit you dont know too much.

• Members

Good stuff here guys.

One more thing. I know that solid state can sound extremely thin and weak when turned up. But because I will be using a Twin tube amp, I should be able to get plenty of bass and punch no matter which pedal I use, right???

I certainly hope so!

Tubes amps sound better most the time when turned up. Your problem with a twin will be that you're too loud, not that you are not loud enough. If you are miced it shouldn't matter much what your wattage is, but a twin on 10 will make peoples heads explode. Don't worry about volume or tone when turning up, cause a twin is loud enough AND sounds great as you turn it up.

• Members

i wish the guys in the street-rumbling honda civics knew that.

when you are asking if a twin is worthy of stage use, you might wanna admit you dont know too much.

Its not so much that I don't know too much, its more like I'm just getting reassurance before I make a move like this. Although I will admit I don't know too much about Clean amps + solid state pedals, thus my thread. What would my knowledge of any of this have to do with getting advice anyway? Isn't that sort of the point? :p

Anyway, thanks for all the input fellas!

• Members

Good stuff here guys.

I certainly hope so!

The truth about this:

Power amps will distort when pushed beyond what they are rated to do and many power amp specs are grossly over-rated to begin with. Whether it's a car audio amp, guitar amp, or home theater amp, the full power rating contains a lot of distortion and shouldn't be confused with "usable power" (a more truthful rating that you'll never find). Max out a supposed "200watt" car CD player/head unit and see how nasty it sounds (and how long it can sustain the abuse). It's simply tricky marketing.

The difference is that power tubes distort in a pleasing manner due to even-order harmonics. Power transistors or "chip-amps" distort in a harsh manner due to both odd- and even-order harmonics. Small-signal transistors can sound good, especially in a preamp like a guitar pedal, but either there's no point in taking those steps for a power transistor, or it's difficult to pull off.

I've read or heard a hundred times the statement, "Tube watts are louder.", but it's not really a true statement. The reality is that diming a tube power amp is much more tolerable (and even desirable in some cases) than diming a solid-state amp.

• Members

I have a Fulltone OCD as well, but I think right now the Barber Direct Drive is winning in my book with my Deluxe Reverb. It's super smooth and does a great singing low-mid gain lead tone. I just did a clip today for the HCEG jam with some kick ass lead tone...here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=702186&songID=5714292

This is at pretty low volume, guitar is a G&L Legacy, there's a little delay on there too, no EQ or anything afterwards it's straight up.

Archived