The "Admit it, if you were a kid in the 70's, you probably loved KISS" thread

• Members
offrant.gif

This is going to stir some trouble, but I consider it rather stereotypical to claim that all people are dictated by what was around them when they were a child.

I hate it when people say "if you were born in 'such&such' year, you LOVED this movie, and watched 'such&such' TV show, and dressed up as 'such&such' band, and played 'such&such' game" etc. etc. etc. I hate that generational bull{censored}e. It's even worse when you get nostalgia freaks that cling to their childhood stuck in a rut. The worst offenders are the ones that form a cult that call themselves "Children of the 1980s" (
*pukes in mouth*
....) rather than the crap psychological term 'Generation X". They just cannot move on in life- they think they are so special and unique out of the whole of civilisation that has existed, and what, because of whatever was playing on the telly or what mass-marketing they sheepishly lapped up? How bloody shallow is that?

I'll say right now there is nothing wrong with enjoying something that you liked as a child, nothing at all. But enjoy it in the NOW, not stuck in the past. Like it for what it IS, not what is WAS BACK THEN.

I don't mind KISS, at times. I consider them as a joke band, and for that, it can be entertaining.

I was a kid in the 1990s, and quite frankly I couldn't give a stuff for most of the bands that existed then. I just like what I like, not what happens to be around me while growing up.

Quite the opposite in my opinion. I grew up in the disco era. Some of that stuff physically makes me turn my brain off, seriously. I don't have much hate in me, but disco, 70's era country (although I've turned out to enjoy this), and {censored} like air supply kinda make kiss seem like a no-brainer, meant in a totally positive way. Some music makes me nostalgic, some makes me want to veer off the highway into a telephone pole. Changing channels just seems to be more ideal.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
offrant.gif

This is going to stir some trouble, but I consider it rather stereotypical to claim that all people are dictated by what was around them when they were a child.

I hate it when people say "if you were born in 'such&such' year, you LOVED this movie, and watched 'such&such' TV show, and dressed up as 'such&such' band, and played 'such&such' game" etc. etc. etc. I hate that generational bull{censored}e. It's even worse when you get nostalgia freaks that cling to their childhood stuck in a rut. The worst offenders are the ones that form a cult that call themselves "Children of the 1980s" (
*pukes in mouth*
....) rather than the crap psychological term 'Generation X". They just cannot move on in life- they think they are so special and unique out of the whole of civilisation that has existed, and what, because of whatever was playing on the telly or what mass-marketing they sheepishly lapped up? How bloody shallow is that?

I'll say right now there is nothing wrong with enjoying something that you liked as a child, nothing at all. But enjoy it in the NOW, not stuck in the past. Like it for what it IS, not what is WAS BACK THEN.

I don't mind KISS, at times. I consider them as a joke band, and for that, it can be entertaining.

I was a kid in the 1990s, and quite frankly I couldn't give a stuff for most of the bands that existed then. I just like what I like, not what happens to be around me while growing up.

Don't be such a buzzkill, Pete. It's a light-hearted thread. This is the internet, where people come to find connections with others of their generation, or tastes, or whatever. Nothing wrong with that, and I won't apologize for it.

• Members
Don't be such a buzzkill, Pete. It's a light-hearted thread. This is the internet, where people come to find connections with others of their generation, or tastes, or whatever. Nothing wrong with that, and I won't apologize for it.

'ssalright mate, I crack up whenever I even hear say someone is a particular way because of their "generation". I even avoid telling people my correct age because I hate being cast into being an " child". It's a stereotype that I find rather appalling.

I don't belong to any generation. No matter what time period I lived in, I would still be the person I am, no matter what was around me. And I think "generations" and "belonging to an era" is a bogus form of botched-up psychology.

KISS is cheesey. Hey some TV shows I like were/are fairly cheesey. I'm just saying that I liked them when I was a kid because of what they were, not because they happened to be around. I still like them now, but not because I liked them back then. Connecting people due to similar tastes and likes of things?- perfectly fine too to me. But the "generations" thing I regard as bogus. It's just a rubbish way to develop (and segregate) more "races".

There I go ranting again.... :o

• Members
Connecting people due to similar tastes and likes of things?- perfectly fine too to me. But the "generations" thing I regard as bogus. It's just a rubbish way to develop (and segregate) more "races".

Not my intention here, mate. Just reminiscing about days when I used to set up mini-concerts with action figures and a Lite Brite backdrop while playing KISS ALIVE albums ;)

Archived