The "Admit it, if you were a kid in the 70's, you probably loved KISS" thread

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never understood the US facination with them....or the Gratefull Dead for that matter....I can't think of one person I know who likes either!
:lol:

....sorry!
:confused:

Your latest avatar pic makes me think you are dressing yourself in those stalkings and taking pics of yourself :eek:

• Members

I've never understood the US facination with them....or the Gratefull Dead for that matter....I can't think of one person I know who likes either!
:lol:

....sorry!
:confused:

I once heard an Englishman say (but I can't remember who) something to the degree that the UK has the Kinks, and US has KISS. Actually, that statement probably doesn't apply to me, because I adore the Kinks (1966 - 1968). But I think it's a funny statement about regionalism.

Loving KISS is kind of like loving old Ray Harryhausen films, or Godzilla films, or Dino de Laurentiis films... know what I mean? ;)

• Members

I remember when I was 15 (73,74) Kiss alive and Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic were the hottest albums

I think after Love Gun I lost it for Kiss , But Alive I is a asskicking album

For Aerosmith I lost it for them after Rocks.

The reason I bring up Aerosmith there seemed to be two camps the Kiss camp and the Aerosmith camp , I happened to love both at the same time but it seemed like an unwritten rule if you liked one you couldnt like the other ha!:thu:

I have seen Kiss in 76 then again during one of their "reunion tours with Ace Frehley) they were awsome in 76 awfull for the reunion tour LOL

• Members

I kinda understand the Kiss fascination in the 70's but I really never was into them that much. Actually, one of the worst shows I've ever been to was a Kiss concert in the mid 80's. I think the fact that Ted Nugent opened and blew them away had a little to do with it too.

• Members

OK I'll admit it. Remember the big sticker from the Rock & Roll Over album? I had that one plastered to the top of my turntable dust cover. And I wore out the cardboard love gun that came with Love Gun. I bought Alive II the day it was released and was shocked to discover that Ace really did sing like that on Shock Me. I had most of the "baseball" cards and at some point had the comic book, with genuine kiss blood in the ink! Strangley, I never joined the Kiss Army. Dressed To Kill is my favorite per-Alive album. Room Service rocks!

There you go.

• Members

I once heard an Englishman say (but I can't remember who) something to the degree that the UK has the Kinks, and US has KISS. Actually, that statement probably doesn't apply to me, because I adore the Kinks (1966 - 1968). But I think it's a funny statement about regionalism.

Loving KISS is kind of like loving old Ray Harryhausen films, or Godzilla films, or Dino de Laurentiis films... know what I mean?
;)

LOL, well I love old Godzilla movies......so yeah, I do know what you mean.

yeah, the kinks are great...I love the album 'face to face' ....but I prefer early byrds to be honest.

I think Thin Lizzy are way better than Kiss though.:lol:

• Members

Well, I was a kid in the 70's, but not a teenager and was a fan just because they had cool outfits and album covers (double platinum live) and some cool songs. Even had the pleasure of having my KISS trading cards swiped from me by a church elder when I took them to Wednesday night service. Damn, I wonder how much they would be worth now?

• Members

This thread just reminded me of another 'Legendary' US band.... 'Misfits' adored by every US punk, and skater, but really....I think they are {censored}....they are just Ramones 3 chord punk with stupider haircuts and makeup no? :lol:

• Members

i've never gotten what people see in KISS. perhaps if i was a child of the 70's i would but i really just can't stand their music i think. if you take away all the theatrics you really aren't left with much IMO.

Theatrics and merchandise......

Kiss is a brand not band.

....just a load of hype really isn't it? I mean Trading Cards!!??

Fugazi won't even do T-shirts!! :lol:

• Members

there are fugazi t-shirts out there but i'm sure they aren't making any money from them or even care to. the best one i've seen simply says, "this is not a fugazi t-shirt"

yeah, they are nothing to do with them. That 'this is not....' shirt is pretty funny though.

• Members

Well, I was a kid in the 70's, but not a teenager and was a fan just because they had cool outfits and album covers (double platinum live) and some cool songs. Even had the pleasure of having my KISS trading cards swiped from me by a church elder when I took them to Wednesday night service. Damn, I wonder how much they would be worth now?

mmm...nice avatar waveman! :thu:

• Members

They lost me after Dynasty, but I once worshipped them.

I was a fan of the early stuff, Destroyer, Dresed to Kill, Hotter than Hell, Love Gun, Rock and Roll Over... they lost Me after Dynasty as well.

I was born in 1976 and didn't start listening to them until the late 90's and even though they were still making music and touring, I still liked liked the older stuff so much more.:thu:

paul.jpg

gene.jpg

Archived