Hot Rod Deluxe users?

johnrambo

• Members

And I think that the Texas Red model would totally be worth the extra $100. Not only does that speaker sound much better than the stock one found in the Hot Rod, but you get that snazzy red tolex and white chicken heads too! Plus, you wouldn't really
have
to pay a whole $100 extra if you ask the sales guy to knock the price down some.

Yeah I have a tweed HRD and I replaced the stock speaker with a V30 and couldn't be happier. The amp does tend to have a muddy or mid-heavy vibe to it but totally has the ability to brighten up if you tweak it.

I would also probably pay $100 to have the Texas Red look alone. How bout you buy that one then I'll give you a hundred bucks and we can trade.

• Members

I have a clip of the Hot Rod Deluxe on my Soundclick page. Here's a link if you're interested.

LINK

I like the amp by itself just fine, but when you run out to an 8 ohm cab so you've got the internal speaker as well as external speaker(s) and it's running at 4 ohms, it sounds a heck of a lot better. The overdrive doesn't bother me none, but I don't ever use it. It's a good amp for the money if you can get one used in good condition. An old silverface fender is gonna be better value in my opinion though. Or an old music man. Those things sound great too.

• Members

Hey people,

If you want the John Mayer/Dumble tone, you can get this mod for your Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville:

I would recommend the Eminence Cannabis Rex or Tonespotter speaker after the Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville mod.

Guitar George

i've been reading up on the omega amp mods. it appears that guy can work some magic on one of these

• Members

I've had one as my main amp since I started playing in '99. It worked perfectly until this year when it went into the shop for a solder problem on the circuit board, and now it's back and working great. So - it lasted through four studio albums, three cross-Canada tours, and about a hundred shows... Plus practices twice a week for seven years. I'd say that's pretty solid performance.

To my ear, it sounds great. I've had many guitarists come up to me and say I sounded incredible, and they didn't understand how I did it with such a crap amp... Well, here's the secret: it's not a crap amp

The HRDlx is small, portable, very VERY loud, and clean. The fact that it's a little darker than average helps greatly when playing clean. Plus, it takes pedals like you wouldn't believe - it's basically the benchmark for pedal performance, as far as I've been able to tell.

• Members

I would also probably pay $100 to have the Texas Red look alone.

it does look pretty good.id like to see it sitting on a jdesign 2x12 closed back following the same color scheme.that would be a nice little stack.i know firsthand the ltd ones do sound a good bit better than the stock due to the speaker upgrade.

• Members

I think they're ok, but nothing special. Not bad, but not good. At least, not stock.

Maybe with a few mods they could be better, but with some of them costing $700+ (Deville), that could easily send you over the $1000 mark, which could buy you a lot of other amps.

• Members

I actually really like my hot rod deluxe. It's a solid tube amp and like few of you have mentioned; it does take pedals well. Yeah, yeah, the overdrive sucks but if you have a good fuzz or overdrive the amp will be fine. Oh yeah......it's loud too!

I noticed your avatar shows your amp and a Jazzmaster with the same color scheme as my strat. Mine is teal green metallic with rosewood fretboard. Is yours the same or is it another color? My eyes sometimes play tricks on me with blue/green colors.

• Members

i've been reading up on the omega amp mods. it appears that guy can work some magic on one of these

Hey johnrambo,

I actually owned the Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe for about a year. I had one of the US made amps that I bought used for a great price. It had great blackface clean tone and the drive/more drive was total Dumble overdrive. Jim will also install a footswitchable midrange boost on the amp for extra cost. I sort of regret selling that amp as it sang like a bird.

Guitar George

• Members
I noticed your avatar shows your amp and a Jazzmaster with the same color scheme as my strat. Mine is teal green metallic with rosewood fretboard. Is yours the same or is it another color? My eyes sometimes play tricks on me with blue/green colors.

If Teal Green Metallic = Ocean Turquoise.....then yes!:thu:

Archived