Hot Rod Deluxe users?

johnrambo

• Members

I'm kind of in the market for a new amp and this looks like the next logical stepup up from my blues junior. Most people either seem to hate this amp or absolutely love it so it's hard to get a good idea. I've played one before but not at loud volumes and it seemed alright to me. What do you think of them?

• Members

the blues jr is a fantastic sounding amp, i think primarily because of it's simplicity. i play a HRD "white lightning"... i find it to be a really nice amp, not amazing, but very solid, reliable, and plenty loud. particularly nice, deep fender reverb. the only problem (if you want to call it that) is that (at least mine), is very bass heavy, making it slightly darker than some fenders. anyhow, i like it, though i'm not totally in love with it. good clean amp, i just hope you dont use amp distortion...

• Members

i've been on the fence between the DRRI and the HRDlx. The extra wattage, effects loop and master volume are the biggest things i like about the hot rod over the DRRI. I wouldn't need the DRRI's tremolo either and most describe them as very bright amps which I'm not to keen on. Also the hot rod is much easier for me to find used and is cheaper.

• Members

the blues jr is a fantastic sounding amp, i think primarily because of it's simplicity. i play a HRD "white lightning"... i find it to be a really nice amp, not amazing, but very solid, reliable, and plenty loud. particularly nice, deep fender reverb. the only problem (if you want to call it that) is that (at least mine), is very bass heavy, making it slightly darker than some fenders. anyhow, i like it, though i'm not totally in love with it. good clean amp, i just hope you dont use amp distortion...

i would probably never take it off the clean channel. pedals for boost and overdrive. the store near me has one of the special editions in texas red that has a vintage 30 in it but i can't see that being worth the extra $100.

• Moderators

I had one and couldn't sell it quick enough. :( Too bassy and TOOOO LOOOUUUUDDD for club gigs. I ended up getting a SRRI and yanking out one of the tubes, though if I could, I would also have a deluxe and a blue junior. Short post summnation: Keep the Jr or get a deluxe. :)

• Moderators
i've been on the fence between the DRRI and the HRDlx. The extra wattage, effects loop and master volume are the biggest things i like about the hot rod over the DRRI. I wouldn't need the DRRI's tremolo either and most describe them as very bright amps which I'm not to keen on. Also the hot rod is much easier for me to find used and is cheaper.

Why do you need the extra wattage? Are you in a country band? :confused: With Tube amps, less is more imho.

• Members

I have a HRD. It's my main amp and it's very loud. When I play with my band the volume is set around 1 1/2 to 2 at the most. Nice clean tone and I also like the distortion but I prefer the heavier distortion settings to the lighter OD tones on this amp. The footswitch with it's Channel, Gain and More Gain functions are perfect if you switch between all of these often. I would replace the footswitch cable though with a better instrument cable for a more seamless transition between channels. Anyway, the reverb is also good but very strong even on low settings.

• Members
Why do you need the extra wattage? Are you in a country band?
:confused:
With Tube amps, less is more imho.

i'm afraid that the DRRI would break up at the volumes we're playing at and while it probably sounds really good at this level it doesn't seem ideal if i'm using a looper and a delay pedal. at least that's my thinking right now. i could be way off.

• Members

I have a HRD. It's my main amp and it's very loud. When I play with my band the volume is set around 1 1/2 to 2 at the most. Nice clean tone and I also like the distortion but I prefer the heavier distortion settings to the lighter OD tones on this amp. The footswitch with it's Channel, Gain and More Gain functions are perfect if you switch between all of these often. I would replace the footswitch cable though with a better instrument cable for a more seamless transition between channels. Anyway, the reverb is also good but very strong even on low settings.

give this a read if you haven't already

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/tooloud.html#mastervolume

• Moderators
i'm afraid that the DRRI would break up at the volumes we're playing at and while it probably sounds really good at this level it doesn't seem ideal if i'm using a looper and a delay pedal. at least that's my thinking right now. i could be way off.

Where are you guys playing, and couldn't you just mic your amp? I've been playing in clubs and bars for 19 years now and I have never seen a place where a DR would not have cut it. :idk:

• Members
Where are you guys playing, and couldn't you just mic your amp? I've been playing in clubs and bars for 19 years now and I have never seen a place where a DR would not have cut it.
:idk:

maybe it would cut it. i don't know and that's why i'm asking? we aren't playing any gigs just screwing around having some fun. i'm not trying to diss the DRRI, it may be perfect for me. i just don't know yet. i've never had a chance to really turn one up.

• Moderators
maybe it would cut it. i don't know and that's why i'm asking? we aren't playing any gigs just screwing around having some fun. i'm not trying to diss the DRRI, it may be perfect for me. i just don't know yet. i've never had a chance to really turn one up.

Try it, man. You may like it. Hell, I dunno. I would be worried about my hearing though, if I was you. :(

• Members
ive got one and i like it a lot. aside from the initial volume jump and the horrible sounding gain its great. its got an extra speaker out jack so you could push another cab and run it in addition to the combos own speaker.

the clean tone is excellent and sounds great with pedals.
:)

:poke:

Yeah, that volume jump is annoying, especially for small gigs.

• Members

is this gonna be a second amp? are you keeping the Bjr too?

i would be replacing. although, it seems like without modifying the HRDlx it will not be able to get down low enough for bedroom volumes. i thought that with the master volume control i'd be able to use this at home but from what i'm reading it goes from nothing to loud almost immediately on the dial.

• Members

The HRDx can be a great amp after some mods... namely changing the volume pot as mentioned earlier as well as the tone control mod from the same page.

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/jvmods.html#bass

And I think that the Texas Red model would totally be worth the extra $100. Not only does that speaker sound much better than the stock one found in the Hot Rod, but you get that snazzy red tolex and white chicken heads too! Plus, you wouldn't really have to pay a whole $100 extra if you ask the sales guy to knock the price down some.

Archived