Ibanez TS808 Vintage Tube Screamer Reissue VS TS9

Walters9515

• Members

I modded my TS9 to the 808 specs - even bought a few different chips. I made recordings of the pedal w/ each step I took and w/ the different chips (gotta love using a socket!!) and I honestly don't hear much difference at all. If there was any difference, I think the 2604 sounded better than the 4558 chip. I did get the right chips, I just can't remember the exact names of the other ones right now.

My friend has a TS9 so we're gonna a/b them, but even then, it'll be hard to know since I'd have to look at the guts of his to see what chip is in there.

the recordings I did were in to my Podxt. I've since used the pedal w/ my MESA Tremoverb and it still sounds great, but I'm not sure if I can really notice any difference. I mean, I believe there's a difference, but I'm not hearing it and I have pretty decent ears. And I hear pretty well too :poke:

• Members

If they sound the same to your ears, then they are the same. It doesn't really matter if there are differences if you can't hear them.

+1.

The only "differences" in the two pedals is the IC chip used (the reissue ts-808 uses the coveted JRC4558D chip, while the reissue ts-9 uses the maligned TA7558 chip) and the values of 2 resistors in the output section. Otherwise they use the same components, they even share the same pc board.

You're better off going the cheaper route and getting the ts-7. It has the same circuitry as the ts-9 and most (mine does) have the "good" IC chip (JRD4558D) stock.

I recently modded my ts-7 to 808 specs, and while it did make a difference (ever so clearer sounding and less "bitey"), I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference in the mix of a band.

• Members

I got one of the originals (relatively) cheaply with the intention of flipping it for a bit of profit at some point, and while there is definitely some difference between this and the TS9s I've played, there's really not a whole ton of difference. Definitely not $2-3-400 worth of difference, and probably not worth buying the reissue over the TS9 or spending the money on a mod.

• Members

I have a fd2 and I just can't seem to get much of a bright sound out of it. If I turn up the treble knob on the amp, the clean sound is too bright. So I haven't really used it much. For the past year or so, the only thing I've used for a ts-style overdrive is an analogman jap sd-1 with boss-style clipping. Great pedal.

Archived