Are there any music magazines that won't make me read about crap?

bikehorn

• Members

Every time I flip through a music magazine at my local bookstore I never find one that seems worth getting. They might have some sweet bands in their content, but they tend to cancel that out by shoveling on loads of Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Maroon 5, The Hush Sound, Shadows fall etc. Stuff that is slickly produced. I guess they can't predict exactly what readers are going to want and can't be all things to all people but it seems like the majority follow the 'middle ground' format.

I guess what I'm looking for is an indie/rock n' roll magazine that isn't pretentious like "we're indie, and we have to fit the indie stereotype therefore we are afraid to break unspoken 'indie rules' so that we can still be cool in the eyes of every wannabe hipster poseur". If they covered classic stuff that would be a bonus. I need a source for fresh stuff that isn't teh internets. No metal.

• Members

Since you'll only like 10% of music made (at best), that's pretty much impossible. A few years ago, Alternative Press used to be a good magazine, because they would span any and all genre so you could learn about new underground hip hop as much as IDM, and death metal, and folk, etc.

They're pretty much awful now, though.

• Members

i always thought Rocksound was pretty good.. might be UK only though. it covers all sorts and isn't as blinkered as NME or Kerrang types

I read a copy of Rock Sound once...it was decent for the most part, but it's expensive to buy here because it's an import. They also seemed to have an artificial disdain(to appear 'irreverent') for some good stuff, like New Order and the issue I picked up like 2 years ago was giving Casey Chaos/Amen a handjob at any opportunity.

• Members

I read Guitar Player (it has gotten worse as of late. it use to always cover several genres of music), Remix, Tape Op, Pitchfork, Skyscraper (probably my fav. right now), Maximum Rock'n'Roll (great for punk/related genres), and Future Music. However I'm always picking up different ones depending on the articles. I am getting sick of the lesson craze though. I mean David Torn releases an awesome new cd, and instead of him getting the cover and an in depth interview (which he deserves), Dragon Force or some other new metal band give us 4 or 5 pages of their ideas on lead playing. The same ideas/lessons that have been in these magazines since the 80's. I am sick of seeing the same three note per string licks in either e or a minor. I understand that just like anything they have to appeal to a big audience so that they can sell advertisements to make money (this usually means boring unoriginal bands), but I wish they would give some lesser known guitarists the recognition they deserve. They could shorten these articles with Eddie Van Halen (no offense but haven't we heard from him enough over the years), and add some articles by people like: Dave Knudsen, David Torn, etc. Then maybe while these people are flipping through to read how Fred Durst got that killer guitar tone on the new Limp Bizkit cd entitled "How to use the word f*ck as a noun, verb, pronoun, adverb, and adjective" they can read about some more obscure music and get those people listening to something they might not hear otherwise. I love to learn and I read all the articles even the ones about bands I can't stand, but I really wish they would quit dedicating so much of their magazines to talentless hacks and overplayed rock music that has been hyped for so long that it just sickens me for it to still get press.

• Members

pitchforkmedia is ok, but christ are they elitist... and i'm an elitist! they often have reviewers with massively differing tastes, so one album can score well while another seems to just get handed to someone who hates the band and doesn't score objectively, thus giving it a 2.2 or something out of 10.

as far as print is concerned, i used to get maximumrockandroll when i was younger but they are pretty cranky too. honostly i read allmusic guide reviews on the internet and buy gear-only magazines if i get anything now.

• Members

Every time I flip through a music magazine at my local bookstore I never find one that seems worth getting. They might have some sweet bands in their content, but they tend to cancel that out by shoveling on loads of Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Maroon 5, The Hush Sound, Shadows fall etc. Stuff that is slickly produced. I guess they can't predict exactly what readers are going to want and can't be all things to all people but it seems like the majority follow the 'middle ground' format.

I guess what I'm looking for is an indie/rock n' roll magazine that isn't pretentious like "we're indie, and we have to fit the indie stereotype therefore we are afraid to break unspoken 'indie rules' so that we can still be cool in the eyes of every wannabe hipster poseur". If they covered classic stuff that would be a bonus. I need a source for fresh stuff that isn't teh internets. No metal.

+6 cred points (for using the werd poseur).

Archived