Proco Rat Appreciation Thread!!~

DharmaSound

• Members

That's not an '80s Rat. The Vintage Re-issue (the pedal you're holding in that picture) wasn't made until '91. Good chance it still has the LM308, but the
lack of "Sound Inc" on the ProCo. logo and white dots around the knobs are a dead giveaway.

well shat, i was told wrong when i traded for it then :cry:. Oh well, it does still have the LM308, so all is well

• Members

So I don't know. I'm in a little predicament here, you rat-loving bastards.

I want to like the Rat 2. I do. I just can't justify it's use. I think that I'd just use a mild overdrive so much more ...... I'm just not that into distortion....

contrary to popular/mainstream beliefs, and also ad copy in general, a Rat can serve quite well as just a drive pedal --- meaning very low/mild drive is well within its range. its not just a distortion, not at all. this one did 10+yrs with drive=830-9oclock & level=2oclockish, serving as just a slightly dirty drive.

procorat005.jpg

• Members

CandleRat2.jpg

OK, so but the look of things, it does not look like a "normal" Rat that you but at GC
:rolleyes:
. . . because this is a custom clone.

FOUR Rats in one.

1) Vintage Rat

2) Rat 2

3) Turbo Rat

4) Vintage Rat +
25dB Boost

. . . and with an aditional "Blend" knob to blend the dry signal with the dirty signal (equiped w. LM-308) !

Would love to try the You Dirty Rat !

LONG LIVE THE RATS IN ALL TYPES AND FORMS !!!

;)

BLUES JUNIOR :love:

• Members

A friends Dad is the original ower of Pro Co. I can tell you all anything that Pro Co. makes is good shtuff. I have all top of the line Pro Co. cables and you could not ask for better cables than they make. The stomp boxes are the bomb as well.

They are located in the old gibson Kalmazoo guitar plant here in Michigan.

In the same building as Heritage Guitars? I toured that building three years ago and never saw anything related to ProCo.

• Members

I actually recently did the "mod" to mine, thinking it would make a good thing better. NOT! I converted it back to stock immediately. I love the RAT as is.

My only quibble with it is it's so sensitive with the controls. Not much room for any play in the settings.

• Members

contrary to popular/mainstream beliefs, and also ad copy in general, a Rat can serve quite well as just a
drive
pedal --- meaning very low/mild drive is well within its range. its not just a distortion, not at all.

aye. listen to early Coldplay for this in action :love:

• Members

This is indeed G.A.S. but how about for newbies with RAT like me? All the talks about older RATS sounds nice but how bout the newer units out in the market? Are they good?

The newer ones lack the 308 chip, and don't sound as good. I got an older one with the 308 on CL for $40. Look around, its worth getting, and not too expensive.

Archived