Your Favorite Tuner?

CoolDrum3

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never realized how great my guitars could sound until I got my StroboStomp. What really made the difference was first taking the time to properly set the intonation on my guitars. I had several done in guitar shops and some others done with Boss tuners and couldn't believe how far off they were until I intonated them with the SS.

Once all set up, all of the guitars sounded better ... chords sound better all over the neck. Lots of other guys I know have experienced the same thing.

BTW ... you can download the owners manual for the VSII from Peterson's web site and find a step-by-step intonation process that involves getting in tune at the 5th, 12th and 17th frets (if I remember correctly) ... it's really easy to do and makes a huge difference IMHO.

StroboStomp rocks.

I have my guitar tech set my intonation, then with my Boss I have always had good results.

• Members
Turbo Tuner: Works way better than a Peterson, smaller, more accurate and not so pricey:

www.turbo-tuner.com

Seconded. I got one of these recently and I can't believe how good it is. At least as accurate as the Peterson, and a much better readout (the LED lights). Also a lot cheaper.

AMAZINGLY fast response time, too.

Highly recommended.

$130 shipped. 30 day return policy to try it out.

• Members

I have my guitar tech set my intonation, then with my Boss I have always had good results.

I think the key is that however you do it, the better you have your intonation dialed in the better results you'll get with your tuner. I like the convenience of being able to do the intonation myself with super accuracy.

I was happy with my Boss tuners for years, but now that I'm used to the SS, I just like it better. I can tune faster with the SS and can change tuning modes with a few button clicks when I change to a guitar with Buzz Feiten tuning. YMMV

• Members

I'm happy with the Peterson Tuner. Very sturdy. True bypass. Easy to see and read. It's got something called sweetened tuning that not only gets your guitar in tune, but tunes the strings to each other. Finally, you can use it to intonate your guitar.

I also have a Boss Tu-2 for taking with me when I'm not bringing my full pedalboard and it's a nice tuner in its own right, but the Peterson's added features certainly justify the extra $100. If I could only own one, I'd take the Peterson. :thu:

• Members
Woop woop

but more like 1 year for me

i'm also going on 12 yrs with one.

{censored}.

i am {censored}ing old.

i've used the dt10 for awhile (awesome in all regards, seemed more accurate than the competition) and the planet waves for a bit (pretty good, but buzzy in bypass with certain setups/power :confused:), and the tu2 (eh). i've often kept diff tuners in diff places (home, rehearsal space, home studios) so the arion has pretty much been in use somewheres at all times, and started its life with me doing years of stage use. and use with no board, which didnt adversely affect the board-mounted jacks; only the typical battery-door snappage has occured (hello, gaff tape).

the guy behind Dano now was Mr Arion back then, i wish he'd get behind a real decent tuner with dano. the danomatic was kinda half-assed, and i;ve not heard good things about the mini.

a good article on http://www.endino.com/archive/tuningnightmares.html, if for nothing else, the tone=0 trick.

maybe somebody else withmore knowledge on this could chime in on this old trick: when playing with a drummer, after a low E is determined, the snares on the bottom of the snare drum can be used in a strobe-fashion. my band on occasion (ie: "{censored}, i left my tuner at home." "i'm not unplugging to accomodate your stupid ass.") would use the 5th-fret method of tuning (or maybe it ws harmonics?), and if A=/=A, snares would vibrate. as A got closer to A, snares vibrate less, until nothing. rinse repeat, rinse repeat. and there was pretty perfect tuning.

perhaps a snare drum, being true true bypass, could be the best tuner? :confused::idk::confused:

• Members
I think the key is that however you do it, the better you have your intonation dialed in the better results you'll get with your tuner. I like the convenience of being able to do the intonation myself with super accuracy.

I was happy with my Boss tuners for years, but now that I'm used to the SS, I just like it better. I can tune faster with the SS and can change tuning modes with a few button clicks when I change to a guitar with Buzz Feiten tuning. YMMV

Thank you for the great added discussion, I may have to go out and get one just to try it out!:thu:

• Members

For those with a boss tu-12 or similar, do you switch it on/off with an a/b box or do you leave it on all the time? If you use an a/b box wouldn't that just take up more space than a pedal? I'm still trying to figure out why people use tuners like that over tuner pedals. Thanks

bump

• Members
Thank you for the great added discussion, I may have to go out and get one just to try it out!
:thu:

That's cool. It sometimes takes a bit of an adjustment to get used to tuning at first, but most people find they end up tuning not only more accurately but faster.

I'll be interested to hear how you like it.

Archived