4 months and $7000. wasted.

OrangeLazarus

• Members

i just failed my very first semester of school.

i can't come back.

and i'm clueless what to do.

i just want to move to a big city.

where no one knows me.

and i can just slip into the woodwork.

but i'm broke.

so i can't.

for right now, i'm content to just sit in my dimly lit room and listen to sigur ros for the rest of the night.

• Members

Yeah man, first semester really sucks. It's a big adjustment. Go to community college. It's a great step between high school and universities.

And, yeah, it sucks, but don't be really hard on yourself. You'd be surprised how many people have a lot of problems their first semester. I was one of them... Just give it another go.

• Members
i just failed my very first semester of school.

i can't come back.

and i'm clueless what to do.

i just want to move to a big city.

where no one knows me.

and i can just slip into the woodwork.

but i'm broke.

so i can't.

for right now, i'm content to just sit in my dimly lit room and listen to sigur ros for the rest of the night.

Sorry to hear that. How old are you if you don't mind my asking? :confused:

• Members

I went to community college for a year. I also failed out of Baylor University's accounting program. Look at me know. I got my degree in Chemistry from the University of Texas at Austin and am doing pharmaceutical research in grad school back at Baylor University.

Keep your head up, and get dedicated to doing classwork instead of partying. I basically drank myself out of Baylor the first time around...

• Members

As I recall it isn't all that hard to do well in your first semester of college. Basic courses and 15 credits is less actual class time than high school and a much better environment for learning. Regardless, stick to it. Not going to college is a bad idea.

Yeah, but going back to college when you're not ready is also a bad idea. If he forces himself to go back to school just because he feels the pressure to do so, he might flunk all his classes again and then be further in the hole (monetarily and mentally speaking). Sometimes it's good to take a breather for a semester and work full time supporting yourself to get back in the swing of things. After that, taking classes might not seem like such a chore. I think too many people are worried that if you take a break from school now, you might never go back and will regret it for the rest of your life. And I understand that concern since I know a few people who have done that. But I probably know more people who went back when they weren't ready, leading to more bad grads, money wasted, and dejected morales. So there's a balance in there somewhere. But keep your head up...tons of people do poorly their first semester. It's no big deal at all, although I am sure right now it feels like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders.

So if you're feeling academically motivated, I definitely say go back to school (the community college idea is a good one). Or maybe work while taking a few night classes. The one thing you can't do is sit on your ass and be unproductive, because that just leads to a downward spiral.

• Members

Yeah, but going back to college when you're not ready is also a bad idea. If he forces himself to go back to school just because he feels the pressure to do so, he might flunk all his classes again and then be further in the hole (monetarily and mentally speaking). Sometimes it's good to take a breather for a semester and work full time supporting yourself to get back in the swing of things. After that, taking classes might not seem like such a chore. I think too many people are worried that if you take a break from school now, you might never go back and will regret it for the rest of your life. And I understand that concern since I know a few people who have done that. But I probably know more people who went back when they weren't ready, leading to more bad grads, money wasted, and dejected morales. So there's a balance in there somewhere. But keep your head up...tons of people do poorly their first semester. It's no big deal at all, although I am sure right now it feels like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders.

So if you're feeling academically motivated, I definitely say go back to school (the community college idea is a good one). Or maybe work and while taking a few night classes. The one think you can't do is sit on your ass and be unproductive, because that just leads to a downward spiral.

Advice of the year

• Members
Damn, you could have purchased around 21 vintage Roland Space Echos from Ebay with that money!

or in my case, 46 :)

dont quit school. even i dont use my degree, i still make a great living and have a fun job. you need that to start off with. failing? welcome to the club. I failed history, and I love history!

you are TEH analog future, ya.

• Members

don't do anything stupid...do you really want to go to school? Are you ready to do it now? When you hit phases in life like this, you have to remove emotion and analyze things, from every perspective you can think of. Find what you like and try to pursue it, do what you need to do, not what people expect or want. I caution you though, if it is a dream of being a musician, definitely have a back up. Don't fret over this, you are not the only one to go through this. Step back and set a goal, you have to make your own way,fate will not hand anything to you.

• Members

Whatever you do, don't jump. I got thrown out of college too, and I didn't go back. I got an AA degree and work as a plumber. Pay is great, but I work with {censored}. I make more money than friends who got 4 year degrees, I only do 2-3 jobs a week on average and about 15-20 hours of very hard work. It's hard work and it is {censored}, but it pays extremely well, and I have plenty of time to do what I like.

• Members

I hope your advisor didn't push a bunch of calc/chem classes on you fo gen ed req's if you have no background in those areas. Same thing for lit./history.

The best classes to start with are 101 social sciences like
sociology
anthropology
education
communication
(psyche 101 is bull{censored} though)

and sprinkle in a PE, business, art, and music class. There's a full year's worth of enjoyable learning for ya. :thu:

Also, if yor school doesn't offer a math-historical-concepts class which fills your quantitative reasoning req, then find a school that does.
Such a class is essential to understanding the strugggles faced by the modern world, and schools which don't offer that class are clueless scammers. :mad:

Archived