Yesterday my DL4 died, and that got me thinkin....

Palaver-Paul

• Members

.....Should I sell my stomp boxes and go for a cleaner setup with a G-major and a midi controller? I looked on the TC Electronics site and the the G-Major seems to cover all the effects I need, but I dont like the G-Minor foot pedal. Can anyone offer any suggestion as to a good midi floor board?

• Members

^ what he said.

The disadvantage with multi-effects is that you have to find one that covers all your bases (not hugely difficult) and then hope that you LIKE all the effects on board (potentially impossible). In theory, sure, the G Major is perfect but if it has awesome modulation and sucky delays (just supposing, I'm not bashing G-Majors, just speculating), then it's back to the shop for a MIDI-compatible rack delay. Don't like the distortions? Shopkeeper? Your finest rackmount preamp please! Next thing you know, it's 1985 all over again and your rack is taller than you are.

Multi-effects setups are also potentially much harder to tweak on the fly than stompbox rigs, which is going to rile you up something rotten if you're an "on-the-knees-onstage-tweakfest" type player, or even if one of your presets just doesn't sound right at a gig.

If you can cope with all that, then multis and MIDI controlled setups are capable of a lot more complex switching on the fly than your stompbox rig, and probably come in equal in terms of troubleshooting, setup times etc. Just don't sell off all your stompboxes before you try out that G-Major, huh?

• Members

Thanks for the input! I have been reading reviews on the G-Major and reliability seems to be an issue onstage. The Rocktron Xpression seems to be more my speed. I like messing around with settings, but not live. I play in a band that writes original music (www.myspace.com/palaverband) so I don't tweak my settings live, I just recreate what we do on our albums. In my sig is a list of the effects I use, I dont use a distortion pedal because my amp does that for me. I would like to be able to save multiple delay/chorus settings to suit all the songs on our record, and have additional effects to play around with. In the future I would hope to get a rack synth to use, but for now I just want to get my feet wet with some basic effects in one unit. I should also mention that my amp has a MIDI function that would allow me to save its settings into a midi preset. So does that mean I can use that with the Xpression? E.g. I press a button on the MIDI floor controller and it puts my amp on Ch.1 with an added delay/flange from the Xpression? And will it save my amps eq settings as well? Or would I have to manually change the eq?

• Members

It supposedly helps to reset the pedal. When it is screwing up. Kind of like taking the battery out of your cell phone - but not really.

You unscrew the backplate and gently take out the chip, reinsert it and - bam! It works.

I still have yet to try this out.

• Members

Yeah the DL4 fix is dead simple, just need a screwdriver to remove the screws on the back plate, and then right inside is a single chip in the center. It's the only thing there, can't miss it. Just pull it out gently (might need something for leverage) and then replace it just as you found it. Put the back plate back on and power up. It really is that easy and it seems to work something like 90% of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Do you pull the whole block out? Mine seems to be soldered in...I'm pretty sure I couldn't pull it out without damaging it. Or do you just pull out the black piece in the center of the block? If it's that, what kind of tool do you recommend?

• Members

Do you pull the whole block out? Mine seems to be soldered in...I'm pretty sure I couldn't pull it out without damaging it. Or do you just pull out the black piece in the center of the block? If it's that, what kind of tool do you recommend?

Just the black piece, yes. If you can get a tiny screwdriver (like the kind for eyeglasses or such a size) that works well, just something to insert and use for leverage.

• Members

Ok, I sold a huge board with 18 pedals on it (including a DL4) and replaced it with a G Major, a BBE Sonic Maximizer, an Alesis Midiverb and a Yamaha DG1000 pre-amp, and a Line 6 Filter Pro about 4 or 5 years ago, thinking it was an easier and tidier way to get all the same tones and more.

I regretted it as soon as I did it.

The G Major is a good unit for sure, but it didn't have any character at all compared with some decent stomp boxes. Add to that the fact that Midi controllers are literally the most frustrating things in the world, and I sold that rack setup within 6 months of completing it.

• Members

.....Should I sell my stomp boxes and go for a cleaner setup with a G-major and a midi controller? I looked on the TC Electronics site and the the G-Major seems to cover all the effects I need, but I dont like the G-Minor foot pedal. Can anyone offer any suggestion as to a good midi floor board?

If you're going to go for a multi rack I'd pass on TC Electronics...a lot of the reviews I've read seem to suggest that they are kind of buggy.

Check out the Digitech GSP-1101. I hated Digitech stuff for two decades before I tried the 1101. In my honest opinion it's the best sounding unit on the market today for under $1000...and it won't {censored} with your dry signal the way the TC will.

Archived