Zvex gas

• Members

I've never had the opportunity to actually play through them. Conceptually, and judging from the demos, these are incredibly innovative. I love anything that does random weirdness. I hope Zach has some more random noise makers on the horizon.

Anyone have some insight or experience using these? Any chance of these coming out in affordable Vexter versions? :D

fuzz probe

[YOUTUBE]d6uM-f5PIbI[/YOUTUBE]

ringtone

[YOUTUBE]Js3vm-QIVtI[/YOUTUBE]

ooh wah

[YOUTUBE]99jJh_ei568[/YOUTUBE]

tremorama

[YOUTUBE]zNhBfyMrpJU[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm trying to imagine how I would use the ooh wah, or any of the sequencing effects, because I would have the same problem with it that I have with all of my modulation pedals, which is the ability to synchronize the rate with a clock. Is there a way that I'm not aware of?

You can get the Zvex sequenced pedals modded by Cusack to have a tap tempo - that is about as good as it will get. As far as I am aware, you cannot get them to synch with midi.

Edit: Here's the link: http://www.cusackmusic.com/?page=details&type=Products&item=Tap%20Tempo

• Members
I'm trying to imagine how I would use the ooh wah, or any of the sequencing effects, because I would have the same problem with it that I have with all of my modulation pedals, which is the ability to synchronize the rate with a clock. Is there a way that I'm not aware of?

The way i tend to use my Ooh Wah2 when recording into Garageband is record the guitar part through the pedal as near to the tempo of the track as i can and then there's a slider in Garageband that adjusts the timing to fit the track. It works best in the random mode as no one is gonna know if it sounds a bit wierd when time streched to fit the tempo of the track. Doesn't work so well in the sequence mode though and tends to bugger up the sequence. I'm sure in fancier software there are much better ways to do this but Garageband is all i have so i try to get the most out of it :)

Also when i record an Ooh Wah part in random mode i tend to record a much longer piece than i need then chop out an interesting section that i like and loop that. This works better when adjusting the timing in Garageband too.

Quite often i use it as an underlying track underneath other guitar parts, just burbling away in the background. I put my Fuzz Factory on a noisey setting and run it through the Ooh Wah just recording the hiss and noise without actually playing, then loop the good bits.

• Members
You can get the Zvex sequenced pedals modded by Cusack to have a tap tempo - that is about as good as it will get. As far as I am aware, you cannot get them to synch with midi.

Edit: Here's the link:
http://www.cusackmusic.com/?page=details&type=Products&item=Tap%20Tempo

Cool ideas!

I was also thinking it would be cool if the first step of the sequencer had a separate output that could be used as a drum trigger :idea: It wouldn't help with midi sync, but it would help a drummer with keeping time to the rate.

• Members
They're not cheap, but i don't smoke or drink & i don't have kids so my money gets blown on pedals ... and sometimes i treat myself to the cool expensive ones
:)

That's cool.

If I had the scratch for them, I'd probably own the entire Zvex line. Right now, I'm still waiting for that deal I can't pass up on a Box of Rock.

• Members
That's cool.

If I had the scratch for them, I'd probably own the entire Zvex line. Right now, I'm still waiting for that deal I can't pass up on a Box of Rock.

Yep, if i ever come into some money or find a mysterious briefcase stuffed full of cash one day then i'd get all the Zvex pedals just for the hell of it :)

As things are though i'll just keep saving my pennies and treat myself once in a while.

• Members

My list of Zvex Gas:

-Box of Rock

-Woolly Mammoth

-Wah Probe

-Lo-Fi Loop Junky

And what the hell... let's throw an Ooh Wah in for good measure.

I quite fancy a Tremorama. When i got my Fuzz Factory last year a few fancy paint jobs came in (to Sounds Great my local store). I got an Orange sparkle FF but there was a really cool Tremorama there too, wish i'd just blown my wage and got both now. The rarer paint jobs are getting harder to find over here.

I know some folks don't care about the hand painted aspect but i love all that. It's part of the fun.

• Members

Fender&EHX&ZVex4ever?

Haha, now that's a happy meal!

Yeah the prices are killing me, which isn't to say that they aren't worth it. I've considered selling off some of my redundant EHX so I can afford some ZVex, but I need to gather the nerve. Would you sell off a vintage PolyFlange for a Fuzz Probe?

• Members
Haha, now that's a happy meal!

Yeah the prices are killing me, which isn't to say that they aren't worth it. I've considered selling off some of my redundant EHX so I can afford some ZVex, but I need to gather the nerve. Would you sell off a vintage PolyFlange for a Fuzz Probe?

quite frankly......i'm shocked. :eek:

Change is good though. :)

Archived