All tube tremolo

dan-o-guitar

• Members

I guess that's why I'm still waiting on a kit that I paid for five weeks ago. Who's ordered from him before? How long does it usually take for a kit?

Between all the problems with the move at HM, along with the fact that he has to order the parts once you pay him, it makes sense. I believe he mentions wait times in his confirmation email once payments go out. Isn't it usually somewhere around 4 weeks? Considering the current situation I'd say it's likely he might get a touch behind. I'd call him to check for sure, but I have no doubt everything's fine. He's a solid dude.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man, the LAST thing I think about on stage is where I put my feet... That tube would UNQUESTIONABLY make the pedal ungigable. Things can get kinda crazy, and we used to invite all the ladies on stage- 50 girls packed on a tiny stage- that tube would be snapped asap...:eek:

Looks very cool though.:thu:

• Members
I've had singers, other guitarists, bassists, random crowd members, sound men and myself trip over my board more times than I'd like to count. Usually nothing happens, but sometimes something gets turned off or unplugged. Or in this case, possibly broken.

I stand corrected. Unless your entire band and the sound guy gig drunk...

:wave:

I guess I'd put it the amp if that was a common occurrence. Or just reserve this one for recording.

• Members

Or dont be in a band with idiots who will break your gear.

Its not that hard to say "hey dude, dont step on or break my stuff."

I've had a lot of problems with packed shows at small venues on the floor and the crowd walking all over my {censored}. It's REALLY frustrating.

If I wasn't a singer, I would've left my board by my amp. It's hard to hit switches from the mic that way, though.

• Members

I guess that's why I'm still waiting on a kit that I paid for five weeks ago. Who's ordered from him before? How long does it usually take for a kit?

I apologize for the delay. I've sent you emails and a partial refund to make it right, but I haven't heard anything back from you. So, I've been communicating with you...

Above all, it's on the way...

• Members

I can completely destroy on stage and never harm my gear. I did it all last tour no problem. There is a huge difference between putting on a wild show and acting irresponsibly and destroying gear.

I think what they're trying to say is that it's not necessarily themselves or the band members, but more of the audience members who probably don't know what a guitar pedal is.

Although,

"I Might Be Wrong" (Amnesiac)

• Members

Between all the problems with the move at HM, along with the fact that
he has to order the parts once you pay him
, it makes sense. I believe he mentions wait times in his confirmation email once payments go out. Isn't it usually somewhere around 4 weeks? Considering the current situation I'd say it's likely he might get a touch behind. I'd call him to check for sure, but I have no doubt everything's fine. He's a solid dude.

Thank you for speaking up for me. I mean no disrespect, but I want to clarify that part in bold because it may stir up bad acid flashbacks with some regarding a few fly-by-night builders around here.

There are a few components I buy from retailers, but the vast majority of my stock is purchased in large quantity from distributors in the US and overseas. I've done some special orders for customers and sometimes ask for the parts overhead up front, but other than that, I don't sell anything I don't have in stock already. I have a stock area that's bigger than I ever imagined it would be.

I've kept OLC's growth hush-hush, but the problem is that OLC outgrew me for a while. I've since hired on help... there are now 6 people behind OLC (four local who actually come in to work, and two who are out of the state/country), but there are still growing pains. I ran the whole operation minute-by-minute for nearly two years, so there are no "policies" in place for the others to follow. I had no idea how difficult it is to teach others how to do things that I learned to do along the way. There are now 22 kits/pedals, which makes the learning process on their end a bit overwhelming.

I don't intentionally accept anyone's money until I know I can meet the stated lead time. But add a dash of the recipe above, and stuff happens. As I did with SonicVI, I do make things right and I do it before people are pissed (or at least tell me they're pissed)... refund shipping costs, etc. In his case, I refunded the powdercoating cost entirely and still powdercoated it for him. There's just a bit of mayhem at the moment, but I never intend for my customers to take the burden for that.

The damned forum:

I just unleashed a bit of e-bitching at Inscho regarding the forum. Certainly not at him as it's not his fault, but he was on IM...

I've spent about 3 hours on the phone with the new host today. After all of the moving crap, I'm at my breaking point.

Thanks for your time,

Mark

• Members

Critics of my tube pedal layouts:

I understand what you're saying. It's certainly not foolproof.

However, I've been selling the Eclipse Valve kit/pedal for as long as I've been in business. It's the same layout as the Darth Fader and no one has reported a problem with it.

ev.jpg

http://www.olcircuits.com/olc_eclipsevalve.html

I'm not saying you're wrong... I value your opinions. But either the people who are buying them are careful by nature, or once it's under your foot, it's not as easy to hit the tube as it may appear. It could be both... :)

• Members

The tube is like 4 inches from the footswitch. If you aren't bashing the knobs off your zvex or MXR pedals, you wont hurt that tube. Just have a good quality case that keeps things where you put them.

Most venues I'm in are small and dark. A three, four, or five piece squeezed onto a 6'x9' stage. And with the punk bands we had to worry about vertical space two, guys would be jumping up, over all around (even climbing on ceiling beams). It's real easy to overstep a pedal once or twice. I've seen people crush in an entire enclosure (more than once). Stepping on a knob on a ZVEX or MXR isn't doing to hurt the knob, the pot (which is fastened to the enclosure) or the pedal, stepping on this tube will crush it.

The design is very slick, but gigging is gigging and it's a business,* and I need something designed to be bullet-proof (though my touring days are behind me, so it doesn't have to be field repairable anymore...but on tour, I needed it to be reapirable the next moring, in van, while traveling). The roll bars seem okay for a glancing swipe from the side, but mostly cosmetic. Zachery's Nano head isn't even for the floor and it's protected from all sides.

Over the last 15 years or so, I've seen a few major brand tube overdrive have to be redesigned because of vulnerable or poorly ventilated tubes.

*I don't actually gig, nor have I ever, with tube pedals, and wouldn't hesitate to have any of the pedal in this thread in a studio setup.

• Members

at the kind of shows I go to, that tube would definatelly get destroyed where others will only get a little scratched up. noisy shows or no-wave in small venues where the crowd is literally right up to the band (whos playing on the floor). it takes far less force to snap a tube off than to break a plastic knob. there's also the issue of carying it around. not everyone uses a nice pedalboard because three or four pedals can't justify it. usually people throw that number of pedals in a backpack or something. this trem (however good) strikes me as being extremelly frail, like a piece of crystal I have to be careful with. not the sort of thing I want in my bag, even if it's wrapped in a shirt

• Members

You naysayers seriously need to get a life. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I don't think Mark's losing any sleep over it, and you probably weren't going to pick one up either way. Personally, I think it's fine. If I did decide to pick one up and liked it enough I'd figure out a safe place to keep it at live shows (how about velcro'd to my amp, for starters).

• Members

The prognosticators of doom will do their thing, but the fact remains, as OLC Mark has noted, that the Eclipse has the same layout with no issues whatsoever -- and I've seen those in a few boards here.

Until someone who actually owns an Eclipse boost posts and says that the pedal is fragile, I will take Mark's word over any forum member who has not even touched the pedal, and wait for soundclips so I can decide if it'll kick out my Pentavocal trem.

Archived