Heaviest Distortion pedal?

WayTooApe

• Members

What do you think is the heaviest, thickest, most brutal distortion pedal out there? I'm looking to buy one, but I'd prefer if it

1. was not a boss (do an A/B test with and without a boss pedal in your signal chain, you'll see what i mean)

2.had true bypass

and

3. no tubes

Any suggestions? I've been looking at the MXR Dime Distortion, and the T-Rex Bloody Mary.

Thanks y'all!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MXR Double Shot (Same as the Dime Distortion)

Fulltone GT 500 (you would not associate Fulltone and brutal but this pedal gets massive gain, think Testament tone ala Low)

These are the ones I use and Im very happy with them. I play thrash metal.

• Members

The heaviest distortion pedals are not true bypass. Don't know why people get so worked up on whether it's true bypass or not, since pretty much all the pedals you're actually considering are going to have great buffers if they aren't TB.

• Members

I have used a lot of dirt pedals, and by far the heaviest is the Zoom TM-01. It stays on my board alongside the best sounding distortion pedal I've used, which is the Damage Control Solid Metal. The DCSM doesn't count since it uses two 12AX7s to get its dirt, and anyway it's not as brutal, but frankly if you double track it it's tone that matters, not all out distortion, and the Solid Metal breaks the others for tone... in my experience, of course. TM-01 is no slouch, and it'll certainly blow your brains out with distortion. More gain than the Landmine.

• Members

Crunch Box was the first thing that came to mind. But I had a Doubleshot awhile back and can attest to its gain potential. I never cared for the actual tone of it ... but it had a lot of gain. The Box of Metal is up there too.

• Members

I have used a
lot
of dirt pedals, and by far the heaviest is the Zoom TM-01. It stays on my board alongside the best sounding distortion pedal I've used, which is the Damage Control Solid Metal. The DCSM doesn't count since it uses two 12AX7s to get its dirt, and anyway it's not as brutal, but frankly if you double track it it's tone that matters, not all out distortion, and the Solid Metal breaks the others for tone... in my experience, of course. TM-01 is no slouch, and it'll certainly blow your brains out with distortion. More gain than the Landmine.

YEPPZ.

The whole bigbox diecast series from Zoom are absolute winners(albeit sleepers), few people got to enjoy them simply because they expected digital stuff from the name. Although I have no experience with the HL-01, the UF-01 can do much that the Fuzz Factory puts out, the PD-01 is a very flexible OD pedal rather overlooked (Shortscale Mike's demo is ace), and the TM-01 is indeed flat out scary at what it can produce...Gain upon gain with decent tone shaping gives it a lot to offer.

They are just as overlooked over here, Korean shops have heaps of the above still boxed up, although most go for about $120 a piece.

• Members

What do you think is the heaviest, thickest, most brutal distortion pedal out there? I'm looking to buy one, but I'd prefer if it

1. was not a boss (do an A/B test with and without a boss pedal in your signal chain, you'll see what i mean)

2.had true bypass

and

3. no tubes

Any suggestions? I've been looking at the MXR Dime Distortion, and the T-Rex Bloody Mary.

Thanks y'all!

Yr in the wrong forum.

• Members

Stay away from the Zoom TM-01 Tri metal pedal! I thought I could handle teh brewtalz, but I was wrong! I plugged it in and it killed my entire family, including the dog! It is the most evil pedal! Forged from the fires of hell itself! Its 2 heavy 4 U!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Stay away from the Zoom TM-01 Tri metal pedal! I thought I could handle teh brewtalz, but I was wrong! I plugged it in and it killed my entire family, including the dog! It is the most evil pedal! Forged from the fires of hell itself! Its 2 heavy 4 U!!!!!!!!!

And it's black

Archived