Using a Bad Monkey as a bass boost?

Corduroy

• Members

So, I have a Marhshall Valvestate 8080 (1st generation), and it's actually a very nice amp despite what people say although it has very poor bass, and too much treble. I was thinking about getting a Bad Monkey to boost the bass on it, as I hear they can do this very well.

Is this a good idea?

:thu:

• Members

yes. although it will be slightly overdriven.
maybe an LPB-1 is what you're looking for?
both are pretty common and can be tried out at your local music store and both are really nice pedal.
i had scored both of those pedals and a fab distortion pedal lot on ebay a while back for 60BIN, good deal.

• Members

yes. although it will be slightly overdriven.

maybe an LPB-1 is what you're looking for?

both are pretty common and can be tried out at your local music store and both are really nice pedal.

i had scored both of those pedals and a fab distortion pedal lot on ebay a while back for 60BIN, good deal.

But if I turned the gain all the way down, I wouldn't get any over drive would I?

And I'll check the LPD-1 out.

• Members

But if I turned the gain all the way down, I wouldn't get any over drive would I?

And I'll check the LPD-1 out.

You'll get a slight overdrive. It all depends on your amp,guitar, strumming. I'd say bad monkey, lpb-1, and fish n chips are all great in different ways.i have all 3 of those. fish n chips may be the most versitile, you can use it to shape your tone, push an od over the top, as a boost for solos, clean boost, bass boost, mid scoops, brutal tones, you can't go wrong. bad monkey is a nice, bargain od, very well made, bassy, some people dont like that about it, but the tone control is nice and could work great for you. i like the direct out, i put my tuner in the direct out so its not in my chain. lpb-1 gives you a nice full sound, good clean boost, lots of bass if needed, might really depend on your amp though.

• Members

I've used the Bad Monkey as a bass boost/ overdrive at times (sometimes re-amping it via aux sends on my multitrack recorder). Brian Wampler's IndyGuitarist book has a modification where you can change some caps to make it more bass OD compatible--i've never tried it--but it's just fine the way that it is, especially since it has a bass knob, which is a rarity on overdrive pedals until you start hitting the boutique range, usually.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

You may also need to consider the limitations of a 1 x 12" combo if you need more bass. I guess it depends on the sound you're after, but sometimes if you need a lot more low end a 4x12" cab is the only viable option.

Plenty people here will dispute that fact, but they're likely not to play the same kind of music as me. Fact of the matter is some sounds just need more speaker surface area to push out the level of volume and low end you need.

If you're not playing doom, stoner or any kind of metal though, I'd recommend just trying an EQ pedal first. Dano Fish N Chips is indeed cheap and good, like the others have said.

• Members

You may also need to consider the limitations of a 1 x 12" combo if you need more bass. I guess it depends on the sound you're after, but sometimes if you need a lot more low end a 4x12" cab is the only viable option.

Plenty people here will dispute that fact, but they're likely not to play the same kind of music as me. Fact of the matter is some sounds just need more speaker surface area to push out the level of volume and low end you need.

If you're not playing doom, stoner or any kind of metal though, I'd recommend just trying an EQ pedal first. Dano Fish N Chips is indeed cheap and good, like the others have said.

+1

Mating your amp to a closed-back extension cabinet might offer some of the bass response you're looking for.

• Members

+1 Sometimes more is more, despite the people who've argued to me that a boutique champ is enough amp for anyone.

• Members

I like the BM as a booster, especially if you need extra bass. Even with the gain all the way turned back, you will get some gain, but it isn't bad. Kinda nice actually. I find used like this the BM is more versatile than my EQ, but both have their purpose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

i use the marshall dsl401 which is another high treble amp with a lack off bass on the gain channels. i boost it with a bad monkey which helps the tone greatly but if i boost the bass on the bad monkey too much the low end gets boomy and loses definition. i normally run the bad monkey as a clean boost with the hi and low equal at 12:00 and use an eq in the loop just boosting the bass frequencies. This has helped me to get more bass and retain definition for palm muted hi gain stuff. hope this helps

Archived