Distortion Pedal for Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

• Members

The Fender has the cleans, but the drive is a bit lacking. I was wondering what the best pedal for a thick crunchy overdrive would be? I was thinking of the Zvex Box of Rock, but is there something else you guys would recommend?

Right now, I have the Ibanez TS-9 and there's not much gain. I plan to use the pedal in the clean channel. Also tips on how to avoid SCREECHY FEEDBACK would be really helpful!

• Members

i hate that everytime there is a "what overdrive for _______?" thread, i always say the BOSS OD-3, but seriously, if you want great overdrive tones from your hot rod, get one.

i use it with my ac30 and its a great sound. i can be smooth, but also a little gritty if you want (which i love) and its juts a warm sounding pedal without the mid hump of doom. it has the mids there, thats for sure, but its not a TS wannabe.

try it out!

• Members

Thanks for showing the video. Plextortion isn't bad. Are you using it through the clean channel?

As for the Boss OD-3. Isn't that just an overdrive pedal? Similar to the TS9? I am looking for a distortion pedal...

The Ts-9 doesn't sound like it has much gain.

• Members

yeah, boss OD-3 works great with the HRD. Also try out a Mule or one of the other red llama clones. IS very good.

i loved all of these thru the HRDlx, but IMHO the monsterpiece NpN with the bc108s is GOD thru the hot rod deluxe

• Members

The Box of Rock won't get much if any heavier than a TS9 really. A different sound, but not heavier, it is still very overdrive-ish.

I'm shocked no one here has said to try out a Rat yet. Rat is probably the most popular distortion pedal around here.

• Members

The Box of Rock won't get much if any heavier than a TS9 really. A different sound, but not heavier, it is still very overdrive-ish.

I'm shocked no one here has said to try out a Rat yet. Rat is probably the most popular distortion pedal around here.

RAT:love:

rats + ac30 = YES.

im still confused as to why i dont own one.

• Members

sigh... hot rod deluxes.

I always liked the jekyll and hyde when I had a HRDx, nice and smooth, it sounds kind of "lo-fi" on the green channel but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The red channel is a little bit too balls-out for my liking.

I've got a twin now, which in all honesty makes the HRDx look like a toy, I do still have the J&H, which sounds mediocre through a twin reverb. time for a new OD but no money for one.

(end drunk post)

• Members

I have used a BoR, MI Audio Crunch Box, TS9, and a Keeley Mod Blues Driver and right now nothing can touch my Double Headed Monsterpiece (Classic / NPN)... great tones! I play a full range on music from light mellow stuff to rip your head off heavy {censored} and the Monsterpiece does it all.

• Members

I've never played a dirt pedal with my Hot Rod that didn't sound good

+1

that's exactly why I've never needed to upgrade from my Hot Rod. Want a different sound? Just put a different pedal in front, from clean to blues, to heavy metal I've got the sounds I was looking for.

to the OP, as you can see from this thread there are so many favorites that all seem to work, I'd concentrate on the sound of the pedal itself, because you can most likely make it sound good with your Hot Rod. As for me, I've gotten plenty of good sounds with conventional pedals, but lately I've been into running pedals with tubes that act more like changing your pre-amp than just a good pedal. For high gain the Damage Control Solid Metal is incredible, the Demonizer works well for light break up to hard rock. Next on my list is the Tonebone Plexitube, from what I've heard it'll almost transform your amp into a Marshall.

One thing I'm convinced of is no ONE pedal will take care of me.

Archived