What happened to the EHX Hot Tubes?

• Members

:confused: Was there no love for this box? Why was it discontinued? Actually the HC reviews were very complimentary. Anyone playing with one? I've noticed that they don't appear on eBay as often anymore.

Related stuff:

EHX Hot Tubes Manual

hot tubes anyone

tube/od distortions

The Ultimate Tubepedal Thread

http://guitarpedal.com/listen/el-hottubes.html

http://www.puretube.com/T-DIST%20color%20cor.2.jpg

Lord Valve Review @ AnalogMan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True story - I was in McCormack's music in Glasgow a few years back and was looking at some distortion pedals and I asked the guy if I could try "that Electro Harmonix one with the valves" he told me "aye the Hot Lips, that's {censored}e, this is better...." and he brought me out the English Muffin.......

• Members

True story - I was in McCormack's music in Glasgow a few years back and was looking at some distortion pedals and I asked the guy if I could try "that Electro Harmonix one with the valves" he told me "aye the Hot Lips, that's shite, this is better...." and he brought me out the English Muffin.......

I think that's probably why they discontinued it, similar to the Muffin, but not as good. :idk:

• Members

The EHX Hot Tubes I had had no internal 12AX7. The gimmick was the name. it was all solid-state.

I am not in agreement with your statement though...
:)

So you actually had the vintage Hot Tubes, not the reissue with 2 12AX7s.

The video froze up on me about 1/2 way through, so I didn't get to see anything having to do with the Hot Tubes. The guitar was pretty cool, but at 12 lbs., the thing would give me serious neck, back, and shoulder problems.

• Members

That might be true with some pedals out there; but I have the EHX Blackfinger and the Wiggler, and there's no gimmick with those boxes. They sound fantastic for the tone I want.

Hahaaa, I should probably just remain mute on the preamp tube pedal thing. Do you guys play through tube amps or solid state? I find that tube distortion is too mushy sounding when i'm already playing through tubes....the ironic thing is that I like a solid state pedal, even into a tube amp. Plus, the cliche is that every tube amp is great, which is not true.....

• Members

I scored a great deal on the new Hot Tubes (w/ 12AX7s), just got it in the mail, and tried it out last night through my Fenders.

I'm loving it so far. It seems to be a very versatile sounding box. The Treble and Bass knobs are very interesting. Adjusting them seems to boost or cut the mids in their interaction, allowing you to get some great throaty, cocked-wah tones. :love: Turning up the Bass, cutting back the treble, and turning up the Drive created some very Big Muff-like fuzz sustain. Turning down the Gain gives a nice clean boost. I dialed in some seriously aggressive sounding distortion, and some bluesy overdrive as well.

I'd post some clips, but too busy right now, and I need to work on my projects with Seif and Melx.

I can't believe they discontinued this beauty. :confused:

• Members

I found a schematic for the older (sans tube) HT and it has both the 4558 chip as in the Tube Screamer and the 4049 chip as found in the Red Llama. I've been messing around w/ the Red Llama ciruit and looking at the various similar circuits (which all - including the RL - are based on Anderton's Tube Sound Fuzz) and it seems like it could be a cool sounding pedal. I'm no expert by any means, but based on some of the stuff I've seen and heard, I would image that the HT sounds cool.

• Members

I scored a great deal on the new Hot Tubes (w/ 12AX7s), just got it in the mail, and tried it out last night through my Fenders.

I'm loving it so far. It seems to be a very versatile sounding box. The Treble and Bass knobs are very interesting. Adjusting them seems to boost or cut the mids in their interaction, allowing you to get some great throaty, cocked-wah tones.
:love:
Turning up the Bass, cutting back the treble, and turning up the Drive created some very Big Muff-like fuzz sustain. Turning down the Gain gives a nice clean boost. I dialed in some seriously aggressive sounding distortion, and some bluesy overdrive as well.

I'd post some clips, but too busy right now, and I need to work on my projects with Seif and Melx.

I can't believe they discontinued this beauty.
:confused:

You`re on the right track (and: yes, I did get yer PM...) :

the secret to this pedal lies in the relative position of the tone knobs

relative to each other!

(the EQ is totally different from ANYthing on the market...)

;)

• Members

You`re on the right track (and: yes, I did get yer PM...) :

the secret to this pedal lies in the relative position of the tone knobs

relative to each other!

(the EQ is totally different from ANYthing on the market...)

;)

Yes, it's so much different than any overdrive pedal I've ever played with. I am totally psyched to have it. How different is it from your original TUBE-DIST prototype?

Archived