What happened to the EHX Hot Tubes?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

:confused:
Was there no love for this box? Why was it discontinued? Actually the HC reviews were very complimentary. Anyone playing with one? I've noticed that they don't appear on eBay as often anymore.

Related stuff:

EHX Hot Tubes Manual

hot tubes anyone

tube/od distortions

The Ultimate Tubepedal Thread

http://guitarpedal.com/listen/el-hottubes.html

http://www.puretube.com/T-DIST%20color%20cor.2.jpg

Lord Valve Review @ AnalogMan

Yeah, I went to buy one on analog mans site and it said "discontinued", Fucker! So I'm gonna make the opamp version of it, apparently its different and better anyways.

• Members

Yeah, I went to buy one on analog mans site and it said "discontinued", {censored}er! So I'm gonna make the opamp version of it, apparently its different and better anyways.

I've been tempted to pick up a vintage one several times. The reissue with tubes really does sound fantastic! Try one out if you get a chance.

• Members

I've been tempted to pick up a vintage one several times. The reissue with tubes really does sound fantastic! Try one out if you get a chance.

If i come across one when I have some spare cash I will for sure. I'd buy a vintage SS one but then I'd have to convert it for use in AU so its cheaper, easier and quicker to just make one.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I ordered an EHX Hot Tubes pedal back in 2004 and sold it a month later. Awful distortion unit. No matter how the tone shaping controls were set, I couldn't get a good sound out of it. I bought a Fulltone OCD instead, which is a superior distortion pedal and one I'll never sell. The only cool feature on the Hot Tubes was the fact you could change out the 12AX7 tubes to 12AU7 or 12AY7 and bring the gain down to make it more of a boost pedal with a little grit. I can see why the Hot Tubes never sold well.

• Members

Again, this is why 12AX7--or any preamp tube pedals are a total gimmick.

nope - Damage Control Pedals are great (Demonizer a. Womanizer) - great tone and full recording tool or back up at stage to play over P.A. the H&K tube stuff sounds also really good (but dunno which tubes are loaded) and the Radial stuff sounds also really really good - far aways from pedals - my demonizer kicked my dual recti... but it was more the easy carring and setup thing... And i never missed the real amp for the tone and "woof" - more for EQ, Fx Loop and channels... but thats a other story

• Members

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-mom-pleads-guilty-death-son-nh-135121565.html

Dude, I'm the last person to argue with you about the world being full of abusive freaks. I'm a functional misanthrope. So I'm not sure why you've pegged me as some kind of delusional idealist :idk: It couldnt be further from the truth.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just picked up a good deal on a vintage unit. It was missing knobs, but I have extras. Tried it out tonight. Sounds great!

6591803029_2390d1edf3_b.jpg

Tell us more, for some unknown reason, I'm more interested in this solid state version than the newer tube one.

• Members

Tell us more, for some unknown reason, I'm more interested in this solid state version than the newer tube one.

I just plugged it in tonight, so I dont have very much to say about it yet.

I have the following EHX dirt pedals:

Little Muff Pi

Big Muff Pi

Deluxe Big Muff Pi

Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker

Graphic Fuzz

Hot Tubes Reissue

Tube Zipper

Germanium OD

LPB2

LPB2ube

Compared to those, the vintage Hot Tubes probably sounds the closest to a meat and potatoes classic distortion. It's crunchy and open sounding and shines best IMO when the overdrive knob is set to a subtle grit, just on the edge distorting, somewhere between 8:00 and 11:00. For all out searing leads I would be more inclined to use one of the other pedals listed above.

There's definitely a whole lot of range in the overdrive knob with plenty of continuously adjustable shades.

• Members

There are videos of SRV using that pedal!!!!

I couldnt resist it
:o
But seriously, I've really slowed down on vintage stuff in the last several months.

I just plugged it in tonight, so I dont have very much to say about it yet.

I have the following EHX dirt pedals:

Little Muff Pi

Big Muff Pi

Deluxe Big Muff Pi

Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker

Graphic Fuzz

Hot Tubes Reissue

Tube Zipper

Germanium OD

LPB2

LPB2ube

Compared to those, the vintage Hot Tubes probably sounds the closest to a meat and potatoes classic distortion. It's crunchy and open sounding and shines best IMO when the overdrive knob is set to a subtle grit, just on the edge distorting, somewhere between 8:00 and 11:00. For all out searing leads I would be more inclined to use one of the other pedals listed above.

There's definitely a whole lot of range in the overdrive knob with plenty of continuously adjustable shades.

Archived