I need a good workstation

• Members

My friend and I collaborate a lot and I am looking for a workstation. I've looked at Korgs selections but I was wondering what opinions the people have. We play a lot of House, Jazz, and Electronica styles. I'm really looking for something that will be flexible and allow us to flow between genres of music because we play almost anything.

• Members

As you may know, the three current main workstations are Korg Triton, Roland Fantom, and Yamaha Motif.

All three are superb units, and only your ears can decide which sounds the best to you.

If you want my opinion, the one that I would pick is the Fantom - which is arguably also the most expandable of the three (expansion boards with sampled sounds in them for many, many genres)

• Members

This is a good time to buy a workstation. Not only are the latest models really good, but even the previous generation of each is extremely powerful, and at 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

I'm amazed at what you can now buy barely used for around a grand.

• Members

You need one. ?

Buy one :thu:

Fusion, Fantom, Motif, Triton, you'll like 'em all.

Just kinding, you'll have to try them and try them out. Or watch Youtube vids of them in use, with close ups of the screens hopefully.

• Members

In regards to the Big 3 (Yamaha Motif, Korg M3, Roland Fantom) in my experience and my opinion,

Yamaha does piano and sampled wind instrument sounds the best.

Korg and Roland do better freaky dance {censored}/preset synthy stuff.

Roland is the easiest to use (I guess I'll concede that)

I think the Motif is truly the most versitile as it has the best realistic samples and will also play and let you tweak synth and dance sounds.

The M3 is the biggest baddest {censored} right now, everybody wants one. If you get one you'll definitely be King of the Junior Prom.

The Roland looks like a space ship.

(I'm a little biased. But seriously, they're all good. Try them out and decide for yourself)

• Members

For your needs I would get a secondhand Triton Extreme with a MOSS board.

^ trut

If/when my Triton Pro craps out, this is the way I plan to go. Happily, I already have the MOSS board, and all I have to do is transfer it over.

• Members

Any of those boards will need add-ons and expansions to do what the Fusion does out of the box. I use the Fusion for those styles and I would have nothing else. Sounds perfect.

Of course it's not on the radar of people who only see what Yamaha, Korg, and Roland push at you. And there is a certain snobbery against Alesis products on the internet, thanks in part to a defamation campaign by one of the "Big Three" when the Fusion came out. :whisper:

• Members

Yeh - fusion is definately worth a look too, just be sure you like the piano and aint bothered by its hard sample switching - which for me has become the reason I dont really use its accoustic pianos in recordings - use my Motif ES rack instead.

• Members

Yeh - fusion is definately worth a look too, just be sure you like the piano and aint bothered by its hard sample switching - which for me has become the reason I dont really use its accoustic pianos in recordings - use my Motif ES rack instead.

I HATE the piano samples on my Korg.

But I like the synth samples on my Korg better than on my Motif.

I'm glad I have both.

• Members

I tried the Roland, Korg Triton, and Yamaha not on same days. For me it is a toss up between Roland and Yamaha. I was kinda of suprised on the Roland because I thought it was going to have a very "Roland" like sound. But I was impressed that they broke new ground. The Yamaha to me is very detailed in its sounds. It seems like each sample is distinct. For natural instrument sounds it is tops. Like everyone suggested its best to try it out yourself. I will say more than ever all three manufacturers are more in competition than ever before.

Archived