Flangers and noobs galore!

• Members

I figured it was about time I made a thread and got yelled at for being a noob, so here goes: I'm wanting a flanger (call it GAS, but its something bad) for my setup. I have happened upon a Line 6 Liqu-flange on the ebays, which is going for a sight less than your usual fare. In tretrospect, I'm sure one of you ratbags is going to take it now, but anyway. Never had the oppurtunity to try said flange, so I need some opinions. Have tried a boss fl-3 and an ibanez fl-9, both of which have dissapointed hugely. Im after a nice 'big' sound (descriptive hey?) for use mainly in metal/rock, but Ill probably use it regardless of genre. Ive managed to get a really nice flange through the COSM effects on the Boss BR-1600, but i want it in stompbox form.

tl:dr: Is a line 6 liqu-flange any good?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I figured it was about time I made a thread and got yelled at for being a noob, so here goes: I'm wanting a flanger (call it GAS, but its something bad) for my setup. I have happened upon a
on the ebays, which is going for a sight less than your usual fare. In tretrospect, I'm sure one of you ratbags is going to take it now, but anyway. Never had the oppurtunity to try said flange, so I need some opinions. Have tried a boss fl-3 and an ibanez fl-9, both of which have dissapointed hugely. Im after a nice 'big' sound (descriptive hey?) for use mainly in metal/rock, but Ill probably use it regardless of genre. Ive managed to get a really nice flange through the COSM effects on the Boss BR-1600, but i want it in stompbox form.

tl:dr: Is a line 6 liqu-flange any good?

Have you heard this one???

[YOUTUBE]lXscV_FChXE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Yeah, if you are wanting to use flange for rock/metal, you should look at the MXR flangers.

You should NOT look into lots of gear, if such a short sighted BS, is how you really look at life-- as this comment could likely just be a troll fly-by comment.

IMO, the comment above reveals nothing more than a lot of shortsightedness, on the part of it's poster.

• Members

You should NOT look into lots of gear, if such a short sighted BS, is how you really look at life-- as this comment could likely just be a troll fly-by comment.

IMO, the comment above reveals nothing more than a lot of shortsightedness, on the part of it's poster.

I know you get baited here on these forums but your reaction is completely OTT and ridiculous.

• Members

Im after a nice 'big' sound (descriptive hey?) for use mainly in metal/rock, but Ill probably use it regardless of genre.

hmm, well one option to get "big" (now I'm not sure if we're talking you want the flange intself to be "big" in terms of creating a flange effect with a sense of a good bit of spatial information...like with a "big stereo" type sound or "big" sound as in full timbre)

or maybe, rather keep a big sound is to look at hi-band flanging a'la the Boss HF2 or bass flangers, etc. What basically goes on is that the signal is split via a cross over and only the upper frequencies get flanged.

This keeps the lower frequencies from being "thinned out" by the comb filtering inherent in flanging, but still allows for swooshy woosh which slives up in the upper frequencies

It can make the effect a little more subtle (tht's not a bad thing, and I don't mean it disappears), but leaves you a full bottom end (cue Sir mixalot)

eh, just another thing to chec out (not familiar with the Boss 1600, so I cant comment on that sound specifically)

• Members

WTF :confused:

For the OP, I have a DEM which I like, but IMO is best used with clean tones. If you want to combine flange with dirt, the MXR might be more to your liking.

• Members

WTF
:confused:

For the OP, I have a DEM which I like, but IMO is best used with clean tones. If you want to combine flange with dirt, the MXR might be more to your liking.

IMO, the MXR's are capable of yielding GREAT results for much more than just rock/metal, as are others.

• Members

It was meant to be, to illustrate a point.

The only point you proved is that you're too touchy and you reacted in a mindless way. The poster agreed with your suggestion regaridng the choice of flanger. You take it as as a sarcastic attack and attack him here:

BS... troll... calling a poster short-sighted.. and this is from someone who was agreeing with you.

Apology, perhaps?

• Members

The only point you proved is that you're too touchy and you reacted in a mindless way. The poster agreed with your suggestion regaridng the choice of flanger. You take it as as a sarcastic attack and attack him here:

BS... troll... calling a poster short-sighted.. and this is from someone who was agreeing with you.

Apology, perhaps?

Perhaps, jury is still out. I still disagree that the MXR should be used just for metal/rock applications.

You're right, I did take it as sarcastic, especially because he didn't make a suggestion there, just what appeared to me to be a comment- meant to disagree, with nothing to back up why.

BTW, last I checked you're not the internet cop around here.

• Members

WTF
:confused:

IF, I mistook what you meant then, I apologize. There are so many trolls here, who do troll fly-bys that, I admit being overly-sensitive, at times.

• Members

"Due to music publishing legalities, I am not permitted to play any signature Eddie Van Halen riffs in this demo."

WTF is that all about?!

What horse{censored}.

It likely means they weren't willing to pay the licensing fees to the Harry Fox Agency to play the EVH songs/riffs.

Archived