New TGP Rule???

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Calm down, buddy. I wasn't even referring to your post to begin with. I don't dispute any of those points.

I was referring to the notion that board admins are somehow not allowed to be capitalists.

They are allowed to be capitalists. If they do so then they have to declare that they are trading as a business, right? We're not talking about making $10 profit on a distortion pedal you dumped in the Spam thread here.

• Members

They are allowed to be capitalists. If they do so then they have to declare that they are trading as a business, right? We're not talking about making $10 profit on a distortion pedal you dumped in the Spam thread here.

Right.

• Members

Why does it bother you guys if the owners of a board make a profit?

I don't care if they end up making money, if they do good for them.

BUT I'd like to see a breakdown of this is how much we pay to host the site, this is how much money we've taken in before I chip in. IMHO not an unreasonable request.

• Members
Donate?
:D

You make it sound so,
voluntary

That place is a joke anyway. The fact that they won't let you inform the other forumites if you were ripped off is so bush league it isn't even funny.

Well, it is voluntary.

And there's a reason why they don't allow "deals gone bad" threads. You may or may not agree with their choice, but it's their choice. And it has been clearly explained. To make the long story short, a person posted negative things about his dealings with an online store:

"He had never purchased anything from that store, but had a friend who did, and the friend wasn't happy with a guitar that had been purchased. However, the friend had put a pretty decent gash in the guitar (which wasn't the problem that the friend had complained about) and wanted to return the guitar for a full refund because the guitar didn't sound like he wanted it to. Of course, the store refused to take it back for a full refund because of the gash. The "friend" had emailed the store, threatening to post bad things about the store "all over the internet" (these emails were forwarded to me by the store) if the store didn't give a full refund.

This caused damage to the store's reputation, and required time to investigate what had happened.

The full story has been clearly explained over at TGP.

Regarding the search, as mentioned before people can use Google. That's what I've been using when I needed to do a search 3-characters long.

Roughly, for each 100 posts I have here, I have 1 at TGP. I spend more time here than at TGP. But TGP is not a bad place. I've had many positive transactions there. Once I met with a forumite to sell him a guitar I ended up having an amazing guitar lesson. Overall I've deal with people who have been friendly and knowledgeable.

Are there elitist, arrogant assholes over there? Sure. I avoid those people :)
Here we also have assholes, but they're not elitist :D

• Members
Well, it is voluntary.

And there's a reason why they don't allow "deals gone bad" threads. You may or may not agree with their choice, but it's their choice. And it has been clearly explained. To make the long story short, a person posted negative things about his dealings with an online store:

"He had never purchased anything from that store, but had a friend who did, and the friend wasn't happy with a guitar that had been purchased. However, the friend had put a pretty decent gash in the guitar (which wasn't the problem that the friend had complained about) and wanted to return the guitar for a full refund because the guitar didn't sound like he wanted it to. Of course, the store refused to take it back for a full refund because of the gash. The "friend" had emailed the store, threatening to post bad things about the store "all over the internet" (these emails were forwarded to me by the store) if the store didn't give a full refund.

This caused damage to the store's reputation, and required time to investigate what had happened.

The full story has been clearly explained over at TGP.

Regarding the search, as mentioned before people can use Google. That's what I've been using when I needed to do a search 3-characters long.

Roughly, for each 100 posts I have here, I have 1 at TGP. I spend more time here than at TGP. But TGP is not a bad place. I've had many positive transactions there. Once I met with a forumite to sell him a guitar I ended up having an amazing guitar lesson. Overall I've deal with people who have been friendly and knowledgeable.

Are there elitist, arrogant assholes over there? Sure. I avoid those people
:)
Here we also have assholes, but they're not elitist
:D

I find that place helpful every now and then, usually if I'm looking to sound like Robben Ford or drop 5k on a tele relic copy.

I actually read a thread where on of the forumites suggested, keep in mind the OP wanted to know how he could get a nice blues tone at bedroom levels without spending a fortune, the poster said to "get either a Carr Mercury ($2k) or Carr Rambler (also $2k) and run a Klon Centaur into it ($600 pedal)."

Super advice. Great. Thanks. :poke:

• Members
I find that place helpful every now and then, usually if I'm looking to sound like Robben Ford or drop 5k on a tele relic copy.

I actually read a thread where on of the forumites suggested, keep in mind the OP wanted to know how he could get a nice blues tone at bedroom levels without spending a fortune, the poster said to "get either a Carr Mercury ($2k) or Carr Rambler (also $2k) and run a Klon Centaur into it ($600 pedal)."

Super advice. Great. Thanks. :poke:

Sure. And there are many people like that over there. But not everyone is like that.
Bad advise can be found everywhere :)

Years ago I learned about Tomo Fujita by visiting TGP. Last December I actually won a lot of CDs/DVDs and instructional material from Tomo.

And then there was a time when I had a slight misunderstanding with a luthier. He offered to sell me a guitar basically at his cost. In fact, he recently offered a custom guitar for less than a comparable Gibson. $1550 vs. $2600. Yet the more expensive Gibson seemed to be more popular here at HC when I posted about it. :)

Or the times when people get together for a worthwhile cause (e.g., helping people who have survived disasters, helping people with health problems, etc.)

I have less than 200 posts there. I prefer HC. But I disagree with many of the negative comments that have been made regarding TGP. :)

Even within TGP and HC, the individual forums (e.g., lessons, guitars, amps, effects, etc.) can vary quite a bit.

• Members

i seriously don't know why anyone would go to the tgp. You get pretty much the same info you get there that you get here. The content and makeup of the forums are slightly different, but overall the gear talk is essentially the same.

not sure on that one, TGP is the place to go if you're looking for more vintage tones, but if you're looking for more modern and experimental sounds, nothing beats HCFX.

Though the amp forum there is much more diverse than HC's death mob...

• Members

not sure on that one, TGP is the place to go if you're looking for more vintage tones, but if you're looking for more modern and experimental sounds, nothing beats HCFX.

true, the TGP guys worship Carlton, Ford, and the almighty Dumble tone

i can't name one album in my top 100 favorites that used a Dumble :idk:

maybe Mr. Mister or Christopher Cross...still, that wouldn't fall into my top 100 favorites

• Members
true, the TGP guys worship Carlton, Ford, and the almighty Dumble tone

i can't name one album in my top 100 favorites that used a Dumble
:idk:

maybe Mr. Mister or Christopher Cross...still, that wouldn't fall into my top 100 favorites

SRV's Texas Flood :thu:

• Members

Though the amp forum there is much more diverse than HC's death mob...

Not really. I will argue that the makeup of the forum is the same, even though it looks a little different now. The people reading both forums are the same, even when the information is presented differently. Many of the same people who post on TGP used to post here or still post here. The difference is the politics. TGP is much more friendly to the boutique pedal makers and imo TGP protects them with these rules, e.g. no bitching about "bad deals." TGP information is a filtered one, and that is why the information you see are often involving gear that cost 2-3 times more. It is a hype machine. The information you get at HCFX is a hodgepodge of everything - high end, low end, boutique and non boutique, vintage or not, pretty much everything under the sun. I would say the opinions expressed here are more truthful, i.e. you don't your hands slapped for calling out a particular boutique pedal maker x for sucking. So basically it comes down to the politics and the way the forum is moderated. You suggest something stupid here, and you're likely to get ridiculed for a long time. You suggest that the color of your pedal is good for your tone at TGP, and the people will praise you for it. A lot of absurb crazy things are said at TGP. There are a lot of good stuff as well.

The problem with HCFX is the under moderation. People have fleed to go elsewhere because there is a lot of off topic BS here. The problem with TGP is the over moderation and the outright brainwashing that goes on. With the recent economization of TGP, i suspect some of the users will flock back to HCFX. HCFX will be powerful once again.

Archived