My "HMC's Gone Vintage" Poorn Pictures!

HMCMedic

• Members

So in the last couple months I've been getting into amplifiers more. As far as pedals go I have been using my 1982 Ibanez board/case/collection. I actually took it to a gig but was afraid of people eyeballing it the whole time so it will stay home. The amps are a 1963 Gibson Falcon, 1979 Mesa Boogie Mark II, and a 1965 Fender Princeton. My main gigging amp is the Boogie or a Tweed Blues Junior w/Jensen. The '63 Falcon is my newest amp (2 days ago) it has the sweet blue label Jensen speaker and sounds fantastic! I think the reverb and trem on the Gibson is one the best sounding things I've ever heard. At higher settings the reverb sounds like an analog echo and you can hear the chop of the trem tailing off when you stop playing. I think I could easily develop a serious problem with vintage amps:phil:

100_8404.jpg

100_8407.jpg

100_8408.jpg

100_8409.jpg

• Members

HMCMedic,

I also love vintage amps and have been thing about both the Gibson Falcon and the Fender Princeton. I have played with the Princeton and love the cleans. How is the Gibson's clean tone? Is it as good as the Princeton?

• Members

HMCMedic,

I also love vintage amps and have been thing about both the Gibson Falcon and the Fender Princeton. I have played with the Princeton and love the cleans. How is the Gibson's clean tone? Is it as good as the Princeton?

The clean tone on the Gibson is excellent. It has a volume knob and a tone knob. (left for bass, right for treble)

It is a much darker sounding amp than the Princeton, even with the tone knob turned to max treble it never gets into ice pick in the ear range. I like using humbuckers with the Falcon vs. single coils. I play a bit of jazz (try to anyways) and the Falcon would be my first choice to take to a jazz gig as the Princeton would be my blues choice. The trem on the falcon also darker/more subtle but it gets huge and throbby whereas the trem on the Princeton is a bit crisper and more in front if that makes sense?

• Members

The clean tone on the Gibson is excellent. It has a volume knob and a tone knob. (left for bass, right for treble)

It is a much darker sounding amp than the Princeton, even with the tone knob turned to max treble it never gets into ice pick in the ear range. I like using humbuckers with the Falcon vs. single coils. I play a bit of jazz (try to anyways) and the Falcon would be my first choice to take to a jazz gig as the Princeton would be my blues choice. The trem on the falcon also darker/more subtle but it gets huge and throbby whereas the trem on the Princeton is a bit crisper and more in front if that makes sense?

Makes sense. Being that the Gibsons aren't nearly as expensive as the Fenders, my next amp may be the Gibson. My Les Paul doesn't match up as well as my carvin strat does with my Fender amps. Perhaps a vintage gibson is what she needs!

Archived