OT: Songs that excite you and make your heart race

p00n

• Members

Have you ever heard a song and instead of merely listening to it, you actually feel the music? I mean you might like the band, or their other work, but a single song reworks your entire concept of music.

BAM it blows your mind and you have no idea why. You step back and have a second listen and holy {censored}, it somehow excites within you the very essence of your love for music. Your heart races as you try to wrap your mind around what about the music makes you feel this way, but realize its futile and you just sit back in wonderment as the music sweeps you off your feet.

"It was the first time I heard the Beatles"

285.superbad.hill.061407.jpg

For me lately its been:

{censored} Buttons - Sweet Love for Planet Earth

Jesu - Silver

Cloudcult - Everybody Here is a Cloud

Beirut - Scenic World

Jose Gonzalez - Heartbeats

Weezer - The World Has Turned And Left Me Here

• Members

God, this is gonna run...

It would be more interesting if it was based on songs that you shouldn't really like (Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, etc) that have the same effect!

'That' note in Machine Gun is pretty safe and cool, the sax solo in INXS's 'Never Tear Us Apart' could be more wedgy inducing. :)

• Members

it has to be live for this feeling to take place within me. I can think of a few shows I've been to where my hair stood on end, my eyes welled with tears and I could hear a higher power talking to me through the music.

• Members

I'm 20 now, and I've never given much attention to Dire Straits in my first 19 years on this earth. But I feel that was good actually, because that gave me the opportunity to "discover" Straits now.

The first time I really listened to Romeo and Juliet, I got chills.. So beautiful :love:

• Members

The first time i ever had that feeling from music was when i was a little kid in the late 70s and i used my mums old record player to listen to The Planets Suite by Holst. It was the only decent record they had, the rest was just pop crap and that never interested me even then.

It was 'Mars, the bringer of war' that did it, i'd listen to it over and over and over. It was like being kicked in the chest, so powerful it was like nothing i'd ever heard.

I didn't really have that feeling again until my teens when i was getting into metal in the early 80s. A friend taped Metallica's Ride the lightening for me and listening to 'Fight fire with fire' gave me that same thrill. The power of it almost made you dizzy. Up until that point in my metal phase i'd never heard anything as 'heavy', so absolutely skull crushingly fierce as that.

These days Muse's 'Map of the problematique' works the same magic. The last track on Sigur Ros' 'untitled' album is staggering. And Amputee by Oceansize too.

• Members

no

No really , please eleborate , i've been there myself many a time : example / Crazy Horse @ the Catalyst S.C. Ca. 500 peeps give or take , it was a west coast warm-up for the band and I was present , talk about bones chillin / haur standin up , imagine this , it was the Year of the Horse Tour , and let me tell ya , it {censored}'t a lot of unwelcomed ears up not that there we're many there , but you get the smear no ?

• Members

Several, kind of all over the place -

Lover, You Should Have Come Over - Jeff Buckley

Gentleman - Afghan Whigs

Big Takeover - Bad Brains

Knife Prty - Deftones

Psychobabble - Frou Frou

Her Middle Name Was Boom - Glassjaw

Voodoo Chile - Jimi Hendrix

Night Drive - Jimmy Eat World

Fallen Souls - Ours

We Suck Young Blood - Radiohead (the clapping owned me)

Bloody Murderer - Cursive

There are several others that I've probably overlooked though....

• Members

When I came back from a skiing trip aged 14, I was depressed as hell to be back home and I sat hunched over my classical guitar, pressed record on the dictaphone and played a song out of nowhere, I whistled on it. I found it a year ago and I was like 'did I do this?' it's nothing special but it makes me think cause I'd only been playing for a year and I was playing those weird chords that you come up with when you dont actually know what they are.

Also, Johnny Cash's version of Hurt.

• Members

Irresponsible Hate Anthem - Marlyn Manson.

Maybe the best venting song ever recorded, and I'm not a big Manson fan by any stretch. The venom sounds authentic.

A few of my picks:

Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey - The Beatles

Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones

When The Levee Breaks / Battle of Evermore - Led Zeppelin

New Year's Day - U2

Everything In It's Right Place / Weird Fishes - Radiohead

Carolyn's Fingers - Cocteau Twins

The Wait - The Pretenders

The Beautiful Ones - Prince

Everyone Thinks I'm a Raincloud When I'm Not Looking - Guided By Voices

Archived