Box of rock kicked ass this weekend.

RoboPimp

• Members

The 2nd channel of a recto in sort of raw sound vibe is the best channel they got. The 3rd channel on a dual rec is awful I think. Too buzzy but the 2nd channel can cut through anything in the mix!

the 3rd channel on "modern" is definitely a bit extreme but in "vintage" mode it is very similar to the orange channel. It wasn't awful at all for me. I'm finding the treble and presence controls are extremely powerful and can help get all kinds of different tones.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

awesome amp... very under-rated for non-metal/rock uses.

if you bring it to the studio, make sure you have a good engineer/tech (even mention to them beforehand that you have a triple rec), and budget some time to fiddle with it... they can be picky to record right.

hmm, thanks for the heads up. Any tips on how to dial in a good recorded tone.

• Members

hmm, thanks for the heads up. Any tips on how to dial in a good recorded tone.

pay attention to the mids, and where they sit in a mix; it was suggested when we recorded with one, to do the mesa track second so we could dial it in after the 1st guitar was recorded, so it sat right. the mesa has the options to work around other amps, but can get lost if you're not careful.

try using a mids-heavy cab (like a 4x12 with greenbacks, or maybe an open back cab). the trick is to avoid over-eq at mixdown because for some reason, engineers (in a rush, usually) love to F up the mesa tone with tons of EQ... even though the amp has a bajillion tone options. sometimes inexperienced engineers will say 'oh it's a mesa, it'll sound good throw a mic in front of it and rip' and then when it comes time to mix they have to correct everything.

sounds like a big 'duhh guitar recording 101' moment but they can be picky during recording, more so than other amps in my experience.

• Members

It is, and the tone is gigantic as well, makes dirt pedals sound like the flimsy toys they are.
:thu:

The amp forum is always open for you. I won't miss you.

Dirt pedals aren't toys. No they'll never sound like a cranked up tube-amp, but that's because you can't compare a $2000 dollar amp and a $200 dirt pedal.

• Members

the 3rd channel on "modern" is definitely a bit extreme but in "vintage" mode it is very similar to the orange channel. It wasn't awful at all for me. I'm finding the treble and presence controls are extremely powerful and can help get all kinds of different tones.

true but you need to make sure your guitar doesn't have too much bottom end. My les paul is immensely bassy through a rec but an SG fits perfectly. Great amps but I hate the way they look.

• Members

true but you need to make sure your guitar doesn't have too much bottom end. My les paul is immensely bassy through a rec but an SG fits perfectly. Great amps but I hate the way they look.

this is what is so tricky about the recto, the bass can be tamed quite easily but it's all in how the knobs interact with each other.

• Members

this is what is so tricky about the recto, the bass can be tamed quite easily but it's all in how the knobs interact with each other.

yeah, the recto has a lot of sub, especially if you use some v30s with it. Then it can be quite hard to tame. I would consider having one of those one day but completely change its chassis just because it looks like it could only look good in a ramstein video!

• Members

I agree that the aesthetics are a bit "industrial" for me, I was messing around with the idea of swapping out the faceplate, I wonder how hard it would be.

these look a bit more "organic"

The bass response is completely dependent on where the treble controls are, as you turn it up the bass seems less over bearing, and also the mode switch seems to alter it as well.

• Members

You see that white recto the guy in the amp forum had? It was a bit gaudy for my tastes but a lot less 'metal' than the typical mesa. I like that wooden faceplate.

Amps with EQ like that can be a bitch to get set right. The peavey XXX is the same way. None of the knobs work independently of each other.

• Members

Amps with EQ like that can be a bitch to get set right. The peavey XXX is the same way. None of the knobs work independently of each other.

I've tried the XXX many times and honestly I don't think it comes anywhere close to the sound quality of the recto no matter where you put the EQs.

• Members

after trying a couple out I didn't think I was a fan, but I'm beginning to reconsider after hearing SuperUnknown, which sounds great to me and was apparently recorded with mesa dual rectos

definitely sounds like a boogie to me.

• Members

All I can say is wow! No pedal can bring the complexity and texture of tube distortion. They sound good until you hear something like this in action then you realize that they all still sound like solid state plastic impersonations of what a good amp can create. I still used a couple pedals here and there but the gain from the amp is a whole different level.

My sentiments exactly.

• Members

I've tried the XXX many times and honestly I don't think it comes anywhere close to the sound quality of the recto no matter where you put the EQs.

Depends on what you're trying to do with it. The XXX does the brutal gain stuff really well and not a lot else.

I was just indicating the similarities in EQ function btw.

• Members

I don't think any pedal can do a convincing recto sound. But there are definitely pedals that do the cranked JCM800 thing very well.

Yeah I've heard some convincing marshall sounding pedals. I've never heard a "high gain" pedal that doesn't sound incredibly canned at loud volume though.

• Members

I agree that the aesthetics are a bit "industrial" for me, I was messing around with the idea of swapping out the faceplate, I wonder how hard it would be.

these look a bit more "organic"

The bass response is completely dependent on where the treble controls are, as you turn it up the bass seems less over bearing, and also the mode switch seems to alter it as well.

That second one looks better. The wood one seems a bit weird. I still love the front look of an old marshall but for the recto sound, I guess you have to accept the look of it.

• Members

robo, if ya get a chance, try a 50 watt stiletto. i was in the market for a mesa and spent hours with a few of them, the stiletto by far sounded the best and is just as versatile. i think you'd probably like the tone, based on the music you say you play.

Archived