Box of rock kicked ass this weekend.

RoboPimp

• Members

rectofront.jpg

this is why I don't try and pretend that I can tell if a piece of gear is "right" for me in a day or a week or even months. I was struggling with this amp at first but this weekend it was absolutely kicking ass. I've never heard an amp with the brute power of this thing and it can dish out lots of different tones.

All I can say is wow! No pedal can bring the complexity and texture of tube distortion. They sound good until you hear something like this in action then you realize that they all still sound like solid state plastic impersonations of what a good amp can create. I still used a couple pedals here and there but the gain from the amp is a whole different level. This amp is the real box of rock!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I certainly enjoy a nice cranked tube amp.
:thu:

So the riverboat gig went well?

yeah, although I used my marshall JCM800 combo for the riverboat. It is also a box of rock but in a smaller package. Space is at a premium on the boat.

It went really well, completely sold out, 140+ people on the boat. We'll be using most of the proceeds to help fund the recording and production of our next CD.

We had a huge crowd of people that wanted to get on but there was no room left. I felt bad about that but happy about selling out. We're thinking about running another cruise this fall because it went so well.

• Members

Rectos are fierce.

I had the "clean" setting on the green channel, raw on the orange channel and "vintage" on the red channel. It worked really well. Definitely fierce. I didn't use the loop so I bypassed it completely and it seemed to sound a touch better.

• Members

Nothing better than a Recto for that pure unaldulterated NICKELBACK TONE! Why search for your own tone when you can sound like everybody else? (Not saying this applies to Robo but it seems to apply to every hardcore/metal/hard rock kid here in Baltimore)

They're great sounding amps but the ppl that play them (or get sponsored as playing Rectos) give them a bad rap.

• Members

How's the clean on the triple Robo?

I opted for a 3 Chan. Dual Rec rather than the 2 Chan. because it had better cleans ... but I've never actually played a Triple Rec IIRC. Singles and Duals, but ne'er a Triple.

• Members

How's the clean on the triple Robo?

I opted for a 3 Chan. Dual Rec rather than the 2 Chan. because it had better cleans ... but I've never actually played a Triple Rec IIRC. Singles and Duals, but ne'er a Triple.

When I compared Triples and Duals I ended up liking the Triple much better overall, but YMMV. I used to have a Triple and it ruled.

• Members

Nothing better than a Recto for that pure unaldulterated NICKELBACK TONE! Why search for your own tone when you can sound like everybody else? (Not saying this applies to Robo but it seems to apply to every hardcore/metal/hard rock kid here in Baltimore)

They're great sounding amps but the ppl that play them (or get sponsored as playing Rectos) give them a bad rap.

I thought the same thing but I saw a band once where the guy was using one and he pulled off every tone you could imagine. Marshall, fender, everything. I have been interested ever since. I got a line on a trade so I took it.

And say what you want about Nickelback and all the other hardcore/metal/hard rock bands that use these amps, they all might get similar tones but it's an awesome tone. "Metal" pedals sound like a joke in comparison.

• Members

When I compared Triples and Duals I ended up liking the Triple much better overall, but YMMV. I used to have a Triple and it ruled.

I can't make a very good comparison because I only played a dual once at a music store but the clean on the triple is fine. It's not quite as "lush and sparkely" as my dual showman but it has nice a spank to it and is very articulate. It was working great for those in-between strat tones.

• Members
I can't make a very good comparison because I only played a dual once at a music store but the clean on the triple is fine. It's not quite as "lush and sparkely" as my dual showman but it has nice a spank to it and is very articulate. It was working great for those in-between strat tones.

Honestly, I've never been complimented for how lush and sparkly my tones where at a gig.

:D

Sounds like a cool amp, I've never had any first hand experience with it though.

• Members
I use to think you had good taste in amps.
:p

heheh, the recto definitely seems to have a certain stigma attached to it, that it's only for a narrow range of musical genres but it's quite the chameleon. I was playing blues, country, rock... all I can say is try one for yourself and don't jump to conclusions like some people here do.

I don't care who you are or how good you think your ear is, you can't know if something will work for you in one sitting. All you end up doing is sounding the same. Sometimes I think it's good to step outside your "comfort zone" and try something completely different, it's the only way to break into new tones.

• Members
Honestly, I've never been complimented for how lush and sparkly my tones where at a gig.

:D

Sounds like a cool amp, I've never had any first hand experience with it though.

yeah, at a gig I doubt it makes one shred of difference but when we hit the studio next month I'll definitely be bringing along my showman for clean tones.

• Members

I thought the same thing but I saw a band once where the guy was using one and he pulled off every tone you could imagine. Marshall, fender, everything. I have been interested ever since. I got a line on a trade so I took it.

And say what you want about Nickelback and all the other hardcore/metal/hard rock bands that use these amps, they all might get similar tones but it's an awesome tone. "Metal" pedals sound like a joke in comparison.

The difference for us is either a

• Members

heheh, the recto definitely seems to have a certain stigma attached to it, that it's only for a narrow range of musical genres but it's quite the chameleon. I was playing blues, country, rock... all I can say is try one for yourself and don't jump to conclusions like some people here do.

I don't care who you are or how good you think your ear is, you can't know if something will work for you in one sitting. All you end up doing is sounding the same. Sometimes I think it's good to step outside your "comfort zone" and try something completely different, it's the only way to break into new tones.

I know I was just ribbing ya. I have never been able to make a Mesa amp sound good. It's like they lack a certain frequency or something that I don't notice when someone else plays one but can't ignore when I'm playing. I have to keep fiddiling with knobs! I am glad I never let the stigma keep me from buying a Mesa Bottle Rocket pedal though which sounds really great with the rest of my gear.

• Members

Nothing beats an overdriven tube amp. This is why I use clean boosts. Dirt pedals screw up all the tone tube amps produce. They're fine for some applications.

Agree --- and why I don't think I ever ran a dirtbox into my Dual Recto.

• Members

awesome amp... very under-rated for non-metal/rock uses.

if you bring it to the studio, make sure you have a good engineer/tech (even mention to them beforehand that you have a triple rec), and budget some time to fiddle with it... they can be picky to record right.

Archived