'92 MIM Fender Tele

• Members
Yes, I found the tele to be very punchy, which is exactly how a tele should be, I reckon. What does top loader mean? Does it mean you don't string it through the body? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm still learning the lingo. I just learned yesterday what a 'top hat switch knob' is
:o

Yeah the strings load through the back of the bridge instead of through the body.

• Members
My wife and I love Seattle. I may take you up on the offer
;)

The MIM Tele I bought has a generic neckplate. Does anyone know if this is standard? Do all of the second run MIMs have neckplates without the logo?

:cool: Mine is an '05 and has a generic neckplate- I'm not sure if I've ever seen an MIM w/ the logo.

• Members
you guys actually think these play well?
:freak:
huh. maybe the 50 or so I have tried were all crap
:idk:

how is $800 bucks new for a USA strat expensive?

My main guitar for 6-7 years has been a $225 96' MIM Strat. It's nearly perfect for me, and I've played and tried alot of guitars.

• Members

you guys actually think these play well?
:freak:
huh. maybe the 50 or so I have tried were all crap
:idk:

how is $800 bucks new for a USA strat expensive?

it's not, it's pretty inexpensive...unfortunatly if you are outside of the USA they aren't $800......a Fender USA standard is more like $1600 here.

Considering the current state of your economy I figured $800 would still be a fair wack to a lot of people?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Since I recently bought my Vox Ultrasonic, I let go of my Squier Jagmaster. Now I'm thinking of letting go of my MIM '92 Telecaster.

If I sell it, am I going to kick myself hard down the road?

Pros to selling:

1. I could use the extra cash and space in my house

2. I'm not certain yet if I really like top-loading Teles (though I haven't owned a thru-body Tele yet, so I don't have a good basis for comparison)

3. I currently have 4 other electric guitars, and there's no way I'm going to sell any of those. The Tele is my least sentimental of the 5.

4. It's not like I'll never find another Tele.

Pros to keeping:

1. The guitar sounds f'in awesome!

2. I bought her for the price of a Squier. When will that happen again?

3. I gigged with her at a very important night of my life, so it does have sentimental value.

4. It's a Tele, for crying out loud!

3415539924_9b84a21bef_b.jpg

• Members

got a '01 MIM strat, of the same vein.. maple neck.. after changing the pots and pickups to emg-sa's, its been my goto 'fender' sound. Don't think i'll be needing another fender to get the strat sound. playability is fine when setup properly, and i have yet to meet someone who can tell the difference between that and a $1000 strat when it comes through the amps... and isn't that the bottom line?

• Members

I love Teles; they're the best guitars for my needs. I have two pretty nice ones for my needs.

That said, I wouldn't get hung up on selling an early '90s MIM Tele, especially considering all the other kick-ass stuff you have. Teles are very common, and, nowadays, you can get some nicer foreign-made examples than the old MIMs. Just my opinion! I'm not a hater. For example, the new Classic Vibes or whatever by Squier are better guitars (and they're all string-through).

Just try to get $250 for yours.

• Members

I wouldn't get hung up on selling an early '90s MIM Tele...

That thought has also prevailed in my mind. It's not like she's a vintage Tele, or an America Tele either.

I do want a Tele, but I'm wondering if I should hold out for the exact one I want - a black Classic Series '50s Tele. Are there USA versions of these available?

Thanks for the input. :cool:

0131202306_xl.jpg

• Members

Yep, mine is an MN serial number.

I've done some searching today for comparisons of the top-loaders versus the string-thrus. From what I've read so far, a whole lotta guitarists out there love their top-loaders.

I'm not usually the kind of guy who flips gear to upgrade. I've generally found in life that if you have a good thing, stick with it. Better is the worst enemy of the good. This is why I'm caught on the fence with this decision.

Purple would be awesome
:thu:

Yeah when I first got it, I hated the color, but it also had a white pickguard on it and that didn't look as sharp. Now I love it. It sort of feels psychedelic.

vtelesticker.jpg

Oh the nut is black now, too.

Archived