OT Question

• Members

Hi,

Would someone mind explaining what's with these forums? It seems like each area is less about the alleged subject, and more an area where a given group congregates. Am I mistaken?

At another forum (initials TGP) generally things stay right on topic, and the "OT" discussions happen in the areas for those sorts of discussions.

I'd appreciate it if someone could kindly orient to the Harmony Central way.

Thanks,

The Rev

• Members

The vast majority of the topics on the first page (25+ out of 35 non-stickied topics), and all the rest, are very much on topic or at least loosely related to effects. So what is the problem here...? Do you really require an explanation to see that the simple difference between HC and TGP is that the HC forums are not moderated by self righteous pricks?

• Members

They can be a little clique at time, but more fun and less serious than TGP. Effects forum talks mostly pedals, but is a bit highschoolish in some ways, not that that's a bad thing, just what it is, in terms of sense of humor. Name calling is almost encouraged.

Amps is mostly reserved for the higher gain crowd. I don't go there much, because its scary. j/k Electric guitars is pretty good, although almost too large. An older audience than here I would say, and has bigger pocketbooks, but it ranges all over the place. Some overly sensitive people there, but mostly a good group by and large.

Those are the only 3 I visit, someday I'll explore other areas. Just not enough hours in the day.

• Members

Its just a place for good people to come and talk about effects as well as other things.

You can learn a lot of life lessons around here no matter how old you are.

In all seriousness though I rarely ask questions about gear anywhere else. Everybody who posts here regularly really knows what they are talking about, or can at least point you in the right direction.

• Members

The best most knowledgable people still frequent here a lot. I assume the off topic stuff still has relevance and it usually does. I learn here all the time. People have very specific ideas about fx and guitar tone but it comes from making all the mistakes before finding the best solution

• Members

Thank you sirs (and maams?)

Do you really require an explanation to see that the simple difference between HC and TGP is that the HC forums are not moderated by self righteous pricks?

Yes, I do. 1) because I have almost no experience with forums and 2)because I wasn't on TGP for very long before being banned for the silliest of reasons. I might have understood how stoopid the entire thing was if it weren't for reason #1 above. So thanks for clarifying that.

Rev. C

Hi Rev C - welcome to HC. :)

Some of the forums here have stricter rules regarding off topic discussions. For example, I really don't encourage them on "my" recording forum, although pretty much anything music related would be OK with me... but not discussions about guns, dogs, sports, girlfriends, astronomy, etc.

Here on HCEF, pretty much anything (within reason) is allowed as a topic for discussion.

People tend to find forums that are about things that interest them and participate on those. Nothing says you have to stick to just one, or that you CAN'T stick to just one if you want. We really don't try to encourage cliques, but they do tend to develop over time, or at least similar minded folks tend to congregate together. The Amp forum is more "heavy music" oriented, while this one is a bit more alt / post rock / indie oriented, etc. Of course, if you play metal, there's no reason why you can't post on this forum, and if you play jazz, nothing says you can't post and participate on the Amps forum...

If you have any questions or need help with anything, just let me know. :wave:

Archived