What stops you from buying gear

tubezipper

• Members

Actually, I was thinking about posting this exact same thread. For me, I find that monetary responsibility and spousal happiness are a small part of the equation, but I could definitely get by with buying alot more stuff than I have now. The main thing is that I don't want to be "the gear guy", i.e. my favorite artists use a limited quantity of effects, which I think enhances their creativity. It's more about getting a whole lot of sounds out of a few key pedals versus having every pedal known to man on your board and using each for one particular bit. It's sort of like the difference between My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive. MBV didn't use all that many effects back in the day, but their sound was revolutionary. Slowdive used everything, but their sound wasn't nearly as mindblowing. After seeing swervedriver and what they were able to do with 9 pedals on their board, I decided to limit myself to 9 pedals on mine. That means that everytime I decide to buy a new pedal, I have to justify it in the sense of what it's replacing on my board and why. It also means that I usually sell off the pedal it kicked off the board, so in the end, I don't end up investing all that much more into pedals or gear.

+1

Don't want to be "the gear guy."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i have become the "gear guy". which really annoys me, because it just goes to show just how much other guitarists only look at what you're using rather than how you use it.

these days, what i actually do in the various bands is totally different to what i used to do, one band is a very stripped down thing, pretty much a cranked marshall and a fuzz (people thought my bandmate was mad getting me involved as i'm the 'pedal guy') and the other is laptops, synths and drum machines. i'm still working out what everything does on my laptop, alot of it way beyond any hardware so i've got very little reason at the moment to buy pedals.

• Members

When you've got all the sounds you need to cover the music you perform it is finished! get a few backups just in case. When you get gas go play your rig and refresh you memory how good you rig really sounds.

I've been through alot of pedals keeping the ones that work for me and selling the others or returning the ones that don't. No more needed here:)

• Members

what stops me? my damn house!
I have plenty of room, but I am in the process of remodeling it.
Not cheap at all, and with my income, it is a bit of a juggling match to see what I purchase.
I make my mortgage, utilities, truck and phone payment, with some left over every munth.. so spending a couple hundred bucks is out of the question.
Now, if somebody would care to purchase a few of my pedals and my rickenbacker, I am picking up a new bass and amp...

then a drumkit and a fender rhodes for the backyard shed/studio/jam room

• Members

Money (of course), and the space in our apartment.

After getting the G System, I've stopped GASsing for effects, although I'd like to own a really good talkbox. If somebody can suggest me a really good one, PM please.

I've stopped GASsing for guitars too, thanks to the SD P-Rails. I'm just saving up for Lee Jackson's amps that he designed. I've got one, got about 12 more heads (and one combo) to go. And Mike Soldano's Yamaha amp designs (T-50 and -100 heads).

• Members

Local availability.

I have no patience, plus I like to try before I buy. That doesn't always work out. I've been happy with demo'd gear, but when I get home and run it through my rig I sometimes change my mind. Thank god for return policies.

• Members

money, for me i'm kinda happy with what i have now...if i stilled lived with my parents i would probably have a lot more gear, all my money goes to gas, rent, student loans, and thousands of other bills....life after college is awesome! haha...i know it will get better down the road, i hope.

• Members

I used to use about 4 pedals. Then i joined a Pink Floyd tribute for a while and I bought tons of pedals. After the band, I kept on buying for a while (addiction) and got up to about 12+ pedals on my board at any given time, but no band. Now I'm back in a band and I'm down to 5 pedals, and any few pedals that I buy now will replace pedals on my board. Most of the replaced pedals will be sold. I now find it easier to play and focus on playing as opposed to which effects I want on/off at any given time.

1. Is the new pedal going to acually help me make better music.
2. Am I getting everything out of what I already have before just adding another pedal, especially one I'm only going to use for 10 seconds a night that costs $300+
3. Lastly, I try to determine if I'm being impulsive or is it a pedal that I really want/need. If I put it off for a while and after a few months I still want it, then I'll get it.

Archived