Wah with a slow sweep?

zooLemon

• Members

I'm looking to get a wah under $150. I played a friend's standard Crybaby tonight and I wasn't impressed, though I haven't ruled out a 535Q yet. It wasn't just the thin sound - I thought the pedal swept way too fast. I'm not into the bom-chicka-wah-wah type of thing, I like to slowly sweep from mostly closed to all the way open over a 2 or 4 bar phrase, and this was really hard to do on the Crybaby. Are there wahs that give you a little more control over how quickly it sweeps? Must be able to do reasonably high gain (not br00tal m3tal) but I'd like something that won't come off harsh for clean tones.

• Members

I'm looking to get a wah under $150. I played a friend's standard Crybaby tonight and I wasn't impressed, though I haven't ruled out a 535Q yet. It wasn't just the thin sound - I thought the pedal swept way too fast. I'm not into the bom-chicka-wah-wah type of thing, I like to slowly sweep from mostly closed to all the way open over a 2 or 4 bar phrase, and this was really hard to do on the Crybaby. Are there wahs that give you a little more control over how quickly it sweeps? Must be able to do reasonably high gain (not br00tal m3tal) but I'd like something that won't come off harsh for clean tones.

I used to have one of these...

dearmond_thunderbolt_001.jpg

It had the slowest sweep ever. If you can't find one try a Morley.

He's insinuating a wider/bigger sweep range, dillweed.

Based on what the OP says, it's not a totally unreasonable answer, but the :facepalm: makes it seem rather harsh IMO, and I do agree that the range or sweep / pedal throw question was definitely implied, if not outright stated in the OP.

In general, I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt before resorting to calling them names, but that's just me. ;)

Now, back to the original question - the wah with the greatest sweep and longest pedal throw isn't something I can give you a definitive answer on (I never actually sat down with every wah ever made and measured them ;) ) but of the ones I have tried, the one that stands out in my mind as fitting that description would be a Colorsound Wah. Good luck finding one at your budget point though - they're normally $200+ used, and have been discontinued for ages.

• Members

I have owned tons of wahs from vintage Colorsounds and Voxs to many current ones. And the answer to your question would be a Snarling Dogs Wah. I feel like they kind of have a bad reputation, but their wahs are pretty sweet. Definitely different sound and sweep that your typical vox or crybaby which I think makes them not for everyone. But they do exactly what you ask for. They have a huge sweep tonally and physically.

• Members

check out george dennis pedals. i can vouch for the wah switch plus (has a switchable freq range, standard + lower one designed for Bass, which still sound great with guitar)

here's a pic of one.. the 'travel' of the pedal is better than crybaby/vox/morley, making it easier to have fine control of the sweep. and they sound less idiosyncratic aswell. much more open sounding.. highly recommend checking them out. they are very cheap on ebay aswell.

GD50-lg.jpg

Archived