If you had so much money, Would you have a massive massive rig?

tubezipper

• Members

My setup would be pretty simple considering my theoretical bank.

Whammy 1 -> Some boutique wah -> that double OCD thing -> a fuzz ->ADA Flanger -> Moog Ring Mod -> Moog Delay -> DL-4

...and wherever you'd stick a Leslie, into a vintage Fender, and some custom dirt amp. Actually, I'd have a bunch of Leslies, and surround my audience in them. It'd be sweet.

The thing I'd go crazy with is vintage guitars, and I wouldn't just buy 'em - I'd hack 'em up like it was 1983! I'd find a vintage TV Yellow Les Paul Standard, the mid 50s one, and fit it with a vintage early 60s neck, simply cause I like the look of one, the fit of the other, and wouldn't care about ruining either, because I'd be rich. Ruin those things! Then I'd hollow out the pickups and put some custom handwound pickups inside, something along the lines of a GFS Liverpool. Then I'd fit it with some crazy midi-guitar thing and hook it up to a giant flipping vintage modular synth, and have all sorts of foot controls attached to it. Maybe something like this...

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/ps3200.shtml

Or maybe I'd get one of those Moog guitars with the sustainers in them, and rip the system out, because that thing is ugly and I'd be rich enough to not give a {censored}. I'd rip it out and put it in a beat-to-hell gold top Les Paul. I'd do stuff like that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Having unlimited money to buy unlimited {censored} would likely be the worst thing to ever happen to your playing and creativity.

I dunno man. Imagine being in the middle of recording a song, and being able to get whatever sounds you wanted. Have people bring you whatever gear in you needed, have a friggin' orchestra come in for one part, custom order in a solid brass 28" kick drum for a part. Having tons of money wouldn't enhance my creativity, but would help me execute so many more ideas.. it'd be surreal.

• Members

I dunno man. Imagine being in the middle of recording a song, and being able to get whatever sounds you wanted. Have people bring you whatever gear in you needed, have a friggin' orchestra come in for one part, custom order in a solid brass 28" kick drum for a part. Having tons of money wouldn't enhance my creativity, but would help me execute so many more ideas.. it'd be surreal.

Keeping focused would be key. On one hand, you could do something totally insane, like build a 28" solid brass kick drum, on the other, you could wind up like Brian Wilson and take 30+ years to finish a single album, and I don't care how bitchin' Smile was, you don't want to spend 30 years working on an album.

• Members

Limitations help you get {censored} done.

Alexander Calder would agree...

"Simplicity of equipment and an adventurous spirit in attacking the unfamiliar or unknown are apt to result in a primitive and vigorous art. Somehow the primitive is usually much stronger than art in which technique and flourish abound."

...as would I.

Say, where has this Zardoz been my entire life? I mean, holy {censored}! I haven't even seen it yet but, this is what wikipedia returned as the intro...

"The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was, but the gun shoots death, and purifies the Earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth . . . and kill!"

...that {censored} is gold right there; your movie can't be bad with an opening like that. That's like Story of Ricky awesome.

• Members

Limitations help you get {censored} done.

That's true, but I'd still get a nice collection of amps. I'd add a vintage Orange, Marshall mkII, tweed pro or deluxe... Not a whole lot more pedals than I have now. Amps are where it's at. I'd probably add a strat, and maybe another tele with normal tele pu's, and a hollowbody of some sort.

Beyond that, I'd focus on other instruments:

Custom drum kit

Incredible synth from Waldorf

SVT

Rick bass

Hammond

RECORDING GEAR

STUDIO SPACE

FREE TIME

• Members
Alexander Calder would agree...

"Simplicity of equipment and an adventurous spirit in attacking the unfamiliar or unknown are apt to result in a primitive and vigorous art. Somehow the primitive is usually much stronger than art in which technique and flourish abound."

...as would I.

Say, where has this Zardoz been my entire life? I mean, holy {censored}! I haven't even seen it yet but, this is what wikipedia returned as the intro...

"The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was, but the gun shoots death, and purifies the Earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth . . . and kill!"

...that {censored} is gold right there; your movie can't be bad with an opening like that. That's like Story of Ricky awesome.

It's gonna shatter my street-cred with you, but I only found out that the pic was from Zardoz a couple of days ago. I came across the picture completely by accident, had a hearty laugh and in the avatar it went. In any case, that is a mind-blowing Wiki quote, and it has cemented Zardoz at the top of my must-see list.

And yes, it sounds like Calder knew what he was talking about. :)

• Members

if i had an unlimited money supply i would probably just have 3 different rigs.
nothing too outlandish though, but 3 amps with several guitars and pedals to accentuate them. like an indie rock rig, a metal rig and maybe a jazz rig. but than again that would be just for guitars. as for music in general i'd probably just buy a studio and hang out there all the time. i just wish i could do that now haha.

Yeah, he's had Studio A at Ocean Way lockout leased for the past 13 years. What you don't see from that picture is the size of that control room, or the massive Focusrite console (off camera, to the left side of the picture). It's a large, wide control room, and was just stuffed to the gills with all his stuff. Big tracking room too. He recently moved over to Studio D, which is a mix suite. Nice room too. It's deeper, front to back, with a massive rack covering most of the left side wall. And I personally like the Neve 88RS a lot better than the Focusrite, so I can't blame him for wanting to use that desk. Downside is no big tracking room, but he does a lot of mixing work, so maybe he wants to focus more on that... besides, it's not like Studio A's all that far away if / when he needs it...

I haven't been in there since he moved to D, but I would imagine he's kept the accessories and personal touches, such as the chairs and lamps. Vibe matters. :D

• Members

It's gonna shatter my street-cred with you, but I only found out that the pic was from Zardoz a couple of days ago. I came across the picture completely by accident, had a hearty laugh and in the avatar it went. In any case, that is a mind-blowing Wiki quote, and it has cemented Zardoz at the top of my must-see list.

And yes, it sounds like Calder knew what he was talking about.
:)

Yeah, he was the only major modern artist that I can think of that actually made art because he was happy. He's my hero. I'm naming my kid after him.

As for Zardoz, I just learned of it 2 hours ago, so as far as I'm concerned, you're one step ahead of me, but dood, that quote's nothing, it's actually even crazier within context...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

:eekphil: HOLY {censored}!!

Archived