Recommend me some alt-country

smrz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A lot of alt-country is {censored}ing mundane. I really really try to like some of the bands people list but they get like old chewing gum same 4 chords and predictable melodies. It's not as if there is a larger than life personality up there, particularly compelling story songs or even sensational tones. And maybe a bit too much clever irony to cover for content.

Nothing lives up to the greats:

[YOUTUBE]JANcTGe2AXo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'm pretty late to the party here, but I've been getting really into Wilco lately. I also really like The Mountain Goats and the Weakerthans, among others...What are some good alt-country acts to check out?

[YOUTUBE]6wUvTwH2gWI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]lEwYlsis6Ck&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]4oNFRWXDSA8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]BpX6oZ7zrNw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

If any of them are offended by what I say all that means is they have to mean it more when they do it. Thats all.
;)

im a bit of an alt country type and a cat'bread lover... just dont want the streams to cross... in a bad way... thats all. peace. there is a lot of {censored}e out there but 90% of em mean it. the 10% = ryan adams... great song writer but i dont think he means it... flame on

crossed.jpg

• Members

A lot of alt-country is {censored}ing mundane. I really really try to like some of the bands people list but they get like old chewing gum same 4 chords and predictable melodies. It's not as if there is a larger than life personality up there, particularly compelling story songs or even sensational tones. And maybe a bit too much clever irony to cover for content.

I agree, but I think you could say that about every genre of music.

And I'm keeping mah Silver Kiss. :love:

• Members

I agree, but I think you could say that about every genre of music.

EXACTLY! In all genres (music and other art forms as well), that's what separates the great from the average. Why is alt-country any different than anything else in this regard?

No different than, say, the difference between a great detective novel and a mediocre, run-of-the-mill detective novel. It's in the way conventions and forms are utilized and expanded upon or altered that makes certain examples stand out and others seem boring and derivative. God is in the details.

Now you just might not like the general form of alt-country which is fine. To each there own.... :thu:

Archived