M-Audio controllers- are they disposable crap?

• Members

Hi, all. I have been using an M-Audio Keystation 88es semi-weighted controller with my Electro rack. I got it used for $140 and have used it off and on for about a year. Now 3 keys either don't work or work intermittantly, with no touch sensitivity- this all happened at once. I don't want to pay for repair if it is going to happen again (have bad memories of a Kurzweil K1000 that stayed in the shop)..

So, what kind of luck have you all had with M-Audio?

• Members

I've not had bad luck personally, but in my experience, they are cheap disposable rubbish. For that price, you can't really expect anything more :)

I use the CME UF series in my rig now cos they've at least got a metal body and half decent keyboared... and in spite of the bold colours, don't look like toys!

• Members

For the most part, total garbage. That money is better spent elsewhere. Or just about anywhere. Although, their past couple of lines they've seem to have gotten right, few complaints about quality control.

The Radium49 I bought new was rubbish. Helen Keller must've been QC Manager at M-Audio at the time.

• Members

The entry level m audio boards are not that well built. If you are a piano player you will find the action springy. They improved on that product with the axiom. That is the best product to date in it's class. I have the 61 key model. Good action, huge user base. Don't right off maudio just because you are not happy with the entry level product. Roland, yamaha, and korg have entry level boards that are not that well made either. Pretty much a universal truth, "you do get what you pay for".

• Members

as a keys player (b3, rhodes, clav, acoustic, moogs, arps) i find the build quality in m audio keyboards, well, how can i put this tactfully...... sadly wanting ......(in all fairness, their other gear is excellent- especially the firewire interfaces and midi boxes).....so, if you are just looking to bang out one finger lines or trigger notes they are serviceable....but if you are looking for a playable controller.....look elsewhere.....i realize this comment will raise the ire of some, but, hey, that's life.....

btw, there are no real playable usb controllers yet...they seem to be geared to the dj/bedroom producer folks. i have not yet had a chance to demo any of the new studiologic line, but i do have high hopes.

• Members

well, uh, I DID uh, get it used, uh, and used it myself (sporadically) for almost a year before it crapped out on me during a gig- sometimes you want the cheapest {censored} you can get by with to do certain gigs, like the OUTSIDE gig last Fri,. where in consecutive order we had 1) plague of the mutant JUNE BUGS followed by 2)plague of the mosquitos (when the june bugs lost interest) followed by the plague of: every {censored}ing piece of gear we owned sweating profusely in the Mississippi late-summer humidity for 4 hours while we entertained 5 drunks. I used a Roland XV-88 with an Electro rack and when we got out of Hell I had some mysterious gunk on the XV-88 keys (junebug guts or something) that I have STILL not been able to git rid of no matter what cleaner used. So it would have been better to use a cheap POS like the M-Audio- but I gather that it and similar entry-level products can't hack it in the gigging world (as opposed to a bedroom USB studio), you get what you pay for etc. so shame on me, bugger me with a keytar etc. My apologies to the non-giggers as they will have no idea what I am talking about.

• Members

well, uh, I DID uh, get it used, uh, and used it myself (sporadically) for almost a year before it crapped out on me during a gig- sometimes you want the cheapest {censored} you can get by with to do certain gigs, like the OUTSIDE gig last Fri,. where in consecutive order we had 1) plague of the mutant JUNE BUGS followed by 2)plague of the mosquitos (when the june bugs lost interest) followed by the plague of: every {censored}ing piece of gear we owned sweating profusely in the Mississippi late-summer humidity for 4 hours while we entertained 5 drunks. I used a Roland XV-88 with an Electro rack and when we got out of Hell I had some mysterious gunk on the XV-88 keys (junebug guts or something) that I have STILL not been able to git rid of no matter what cleaner used. So it would have been better to use a cheap POS like the M-Audio- but I gather that it and similar entry-level products can't hack it in the gigging world (as opposed to a bedroom USB studio), you get what you pay for etc. so shame on me, bugger me with a keytar etc. My apologies to the non-giggers as they will have no idea what I am talking about.

I can sympathise - I have a mate who regularly uses cheapo keyboards on stage midi connected to his proper keyboards hidden behind a barricade of keyboards cases, amps and all sort of {censored} at the back of the stage. He said he started doing after after loosing something expensive to a bar fight in the arse end of leeds.

• Members

well, uh, I DID uh, get it used, uh, and used it myself (sporadically) for almost a year before it crapped out on me during a gig- sometimes you want the cheapest {censored} you can get by with to do certain gigs, like the OUTSIDE gig last Fri,.

You'd be better off getting a Yamaha DJX/PSR with Midi, or a Yamaha CS1x. Even those will hold up better under pressure than an M-Shoddy-yo.

• Members

btw, there are no real playable usb controllers yet...they seem to be geared to the dj/bedroom producer folks. i have not yet had a chance to demo any of the new studiologic line, but i do have high hopes.

That's quite true... if you want your controller to feel like a Steinway. :poke:

I really like Novation controllers. They use synth action, but the response and key surface are great. Very playable. :cool: If you're talking about compact controllers like the original Oxygen 8, then yeah, it's all crap. :cry:

(yes, I am a Novation fan boy. Great stuff for poor people :lol:)

• Members

I'm thinking that at $300 the new Yamaha 76-key semi-weighted NP30 would work well as a cheapo controller for gigs with the Electro rack- if it has piano comparable to my P120. Only downside is the headphone jack output (but at least it's not RCA).

You can layer the yamaha pianos sounds with its accoustic bass patch, then add its chorus to bring up the highs, to get a greater piano sound!

Archived