OT: Anybody Follow Physics?

rileykill

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

things won't start happening until they start colliding particles, which I think isn't going to be for a while yet.

I think I heard that they have collided particles, but not at the speeds the machine is capable of. It was just a test run before they start to use it to its full potential...

But I've heard somewhere else too that there weren't going to be any collisions yet...so I don't know really.

• Members
  • Members

• Members

Yeah, like taking a picture of a black HOLE (or space in general), which is like taking a picture of...nothing

it's freaky.

And there is the question if space is infinitely big, something my human brain doesn't seem to comprehend completely...because there wouldn't be anything outside space...because space is everything? :confused:

• Members

It's soooooo crazy. Is space eventually just an empty vacuum? We are isolated from other stars by such immense distances. Who knows?

Yes, and as if the universe weren't big enough already, the galaxies are spreading out farther from each other at ever increasing rates and shows no signs of slowing down. Although, sometimes two or more galaxies find themselves along intersecting trajectories like the Milky Way and our nearest neighbor, Andromeda. The two galaxies will collide in a few billion years and will form a huge eliptical galaxy. Imagine being around for that! What's crazy is the stars are dispersed so far from each other that star collisions will be extremely rare. The galaxies will pass through each other like two ghosts, then begins the gravitational tug-o-war.

• Members

So you believe that there is a border to the universe? And what would be outside that?

You see why it's so....sdlhfdzsf (can't find a decent word)?

Nothing? The beginning of another universe? Who's to say there was only one big bang or one universe. Anyway, I think this is where M-theory or membrane theory comes into play. Google it 'cause I can't explain it and barely understand it. Fascinating all the same.

• Members

Nothing? The beginning of another universe? Who's to say there was only one big bang or one universe. Anyway, I think this is where M-theory or membrane theory comes into play. Google it 'cause I can't explain it and barely understand it. Fascinating all the same.

I think I've already heard or read about it somewhere. An Einstein-theory, isn't it? Space = time or something like that. And the planets all turn around on some membrane with a bump in it...I can't explain either but it looked pretty revolutionary :p

And yeah, all wraps around to the beginning... that could have something in it. But then again you can't really describe it as a sphere or toroid could you? That would still be a shape which has a border?

I don't know, you could think about this untill your head explodes and still know nothing, because we humans are tiny tiny creatures who have absolutely no meaning in the Universe... :wave:

• Members

Yeah, like taking a picture of a black HOLE (or space in general), which is like taking a picture of...nothing

A black hole is not "nothing." It's an extremely dense concentration of matter with so much gravitational pull that photons of light cannot reflect off of it, making it appear black. I would assume black holes do have some color, you just can't tell what it is because reflected light is sucked into the black hole.

As far as black holes devouring the earth, I don't see how it could happen. The LHC is accelerating very small masses, so any resulting black hole would have extremely small mass. No matter how dense it is, the gravitational pull of such a small mass would have little effect on anything other than subatomic particles. Maybe if it were able to feed on such particles extremely rapidly it could grow and destroy solar system :idk:

• Members
As far as black holes devouring the earth, I don't see how it could happen. The LHC is accelerating very small masses, so any resulting black hole would have extremely small mass. No matter how dense it is, the gravitational pull of such a small mass would have little effect on anything other than subatomic particles. Maybe if it were able to feed on such particles extremely rapidly it could grow and destroy solar system
:idk:

Yeah, it's not the birth size that freaks people out. Its "what if it doesn't evaporate as theorized?" Well, it'll grow.

Archived