OT: Anybody Follow Physics?

rileykill

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course nothing is going to happen......

today.

They only tested it out, the speed (or energy, don't remember exactly) they used today was only 1/28th or something of what they want to do next year. So they haven't used it to its full potential yet.

And well, if they do create a non-controllable growing black hole, which is most unlikely, I hope it grows fast so nobody suffers or fights for food/shelter/land...

• Members

If they created a black hole stable enough to stick around (which by all accounts won't happen) it would take a loooooong time (centuries?) to grow large enough to tear up the Earth.

At least, according to current theories ... which are unproven ... which is why they are doing these experiments in the first place :facepalm:

• Members
If they created a black hole stable enough to stick around (which by all accounts won't happen) it would take a loooooong time (centuries?) to grow large enough to tear up the Earth.

At least, according to current theories ... which are unproven ... which is why they are doing these experiments in the first place
:facepalm:

...and current theories are never looked back on with a :facepalm: some years down the line when other "current" theories have shown the previous "current" theories to be lacking.

• Members
If we get sucked up in a black hole maybe we will come out on the other side in bizarro world. That would
:rawk:

Yeah I was thinking this too... Maybe we wouldn't even notice or something...

OR it is a cycle of life! What if we are meant to be sucked in it, and then everything starts over from the beginning? And then in another bazillion years we do it again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again......................................

• Members

Yeah I was thinking this too... Maybe we wouldn't even notice or something...

OR it is a cycle of life! What if we are meant to be sucked in it, and then everything starts over from the beginning? And then in another bazillion years we do it again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again......................................

I don't want to start over. All of my favourite things require an electrical outlet and my wife's favourite things require batteries...

• Members

I seem to recall some phyisicists observing quantum particles apparently flitting in and out of exsistence which seems to suggest they are traversing different dimensions or even parallel universes which solved a hole in the supergravity theory. I think they even suggest that an experiment such as this could yield a big bang that would cross over into its own dimension and create a whole new universe. Or something to that effect.:idk:

• Members

:wave:

this is exciting. I wake up and i have a massive amount of emails with awesome pictures.

For anyone interested:

Dear all,

The LHC started beam operations today and it took less than an hour, in

careful steps, to get the beam completely around the entire machine for the

first time. It went incredibly smoothly given the enormous complexity of

the machine. The project director quipped that the beam was then traveling

at 27 km/h. At a certain time, they stopped the beam in a block just

upstream of the ATLAS detector and the debris from that was observed in

ATLAS. The first "baby pictures" are attached. Congratulations to all

involved in getting to this moment.

Enjoy,

John

The first two pictures are from ATLAS and the third from the CMS.

it works, bitches!

OH! and here's an ode to dumb people

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/sep/10end.htm

:facepalm:

Archived