Loobs I now know why you got rid of the AC30ccx....rubbish

Kid_A

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think anyone buying a CC amp should playtest it first. Don't buy it sight unseen and unheard from Ebay. There's too much conflicting opinion out there on the CC amps. They're not {censored}, they're not good, they're both, if that makes sense. If you buy sight unseen, you might end up with a screamer of an amp that makes you aroused in ways you never thought possible... or you might be stuck with the amp equivalent of being stuck in a jacuzzi with Roseanne Barr whilst she's shaving her body.

Agreed Andy... I have been aching for an AC30 again and almost did got one unseen/heard... i mean an AC30 is an AC30 right? Well.... no its not.

i played it in musicground and laughed when he told me the price, so dont take that as the norm for their prices.

• Members

you know what, I've been thinking and it seems that maybe the UK ones sound worse than the USA ones, is there are possiblity that whatever makes it run at 240v (transformer???) isn't as good quality as the ones they put in for the 110v models or something like that?? :idk:

• Members

you know what, I've been thinking and it seems that maybe the UK ones sound worse than the USA ones, is there are possiblity that whatever makes it run at 240v (transformer???) isn't as good quality as the ones they put in for the 110v models or something like that??
:idk:

Quite possibly. Even on this thread we're seeing the US Vox owners loving it and the UK Vox users hating them. Maybe it's the trannies. Maybe it's just the way the amp is voiced. It appeals to North American ears more than British ears (and before people jump on me, I'm talking about styles of music and different sounds, as terms like 'the British sound' are quite accepted etc. It's not a jibe that Yankee ears are full of {censored} or something!)

• Members

Quite possibly. Even on this thread we're seeing the US Vox owners loving it and the UK Vox users hating them. Maybe it's the trannies. Maybe it's just the way the amp is voiced. It appeals to North American ears more than British ears (and before people jump on me, I'm talking about styles of music and different sounds, as terms like 'the British sound' are quite accepted etc. It's not a jibe that Yankee ears are full of {censored} or something!)

well, I don't know but it seems like there is a trend here, it's too much of a coincidence...there's got to be a reason for it.

• Members

you know what, I've been thinking and it seems that maybe the UK ones sound worse than the USA ones, is there are possiblity that whatever makes it run at 240v (transformer???) isn't as good quality as the ones they put in for the 110v models or something like that??
:idk:

hmmmm... then what about the oranges/marshalls of the world? Either way its odd...

• Members

Allen Amps make good amps (http://www.allenamps.com/). They won't export to anyone other than Canada because they can't get the 50 hertz transformers required. Step-down transformers won't work because they overheat. Run your cursor over the 'No exports' icon top left on their website and you'll see.

Now the Korg-era UK ones were built in the UK (doh!), possibly by Marshall if my addled brain is working. Which it isn't. Does that mean the UK ones sounded great because they were built to suit UK power and the Chinese ones suck when played in the UK because they're not designed to sound good with UK power?

To answer this, there's only one way to solve it: I shall buy an AC30CC2X, play it in London and then fly to Toronto to try it out there. All I need is an amp, some time off and for you guys to raise the amp money, flight fares and accommodation. Whaddya say?

If I do find it sounds better in Toronto, I then propose to destroy the amp live on tape. I will take it to the top floor roof of the apartment block I used to reside in downtown in TO and drop the {censored}er off the roof.

• Members

Spent 30mins with one on denmark street... dog{censored}.

I was so gutted, being an ex AC30 owner i know the Vox sound and this was not it at all.

All the options and features are nice on paper but i could not get a useable sound at all. The topboost was clangy and thin, the normal sounded much better (but its supposed to be the other way round for me like on the old models) and the switches were just plain confusing.

looks like i might take the trade of the 1992 Vox head
:)

With the bright cap removed from the TB channel and the speakers broken in (which takes a {censored}in age in itself) i've been very happy with mine.

I get the feelin this is the case with most AC30CC's, i see alot of negative stuff about them from people that have played them in shops/bought them new, and alot of positive stuff from people who have played/own used models where the speakers are sufficiently broken in and possibly the bright cap has been removed, the difference is night and day, just my observation.

• Members

To answer this, there's only one way to solve it: I shall buy an AC30CC2X, play it in London and then fly to Toronto to try it out there. All I need is an amp, some time off and for you guys to raise the amp money, flight fares and accommodation. Whaddya say?

If I do find it sounds better in Toronto, I then propose to destroy the amp live on tape. I will take it to the top floor roof of the apartment block I used to reside in downtown in TO and drop the {censored}er off the roof.

well that aint gonna work is it? what you really need is a usa model and a UK model side by side running on the correct voltages and identical settings.

• Members

I'm convinced that it all has to do with tube quality and component "break-in" (mostly speakers). I was horrified at the sound of my cc1 when I first received it from AMS. After breaking in the celestion neo speaker, it was bearable but still nothing I was proud of owning.

After tube upgrades, a Weber silver bell alnico, certain small mods, and hundreds of hours of hard playing, the amp sounds better than any I've ever owned (mostly vintage fenders and ampegs). But some people require something that sounds better off the shelf, and I respect that.

I've played plenty of these amps in the shops (cc2x, 15 ccx, 15 h1tv, cc2, 30tb, 30tbx, 15 tbx) and they vary in brittleness and vox "authenticity". I believe it is 71% speaker break-in and 29% tube quality that accounts for the differences. But how can you really tell?

• Members

With the bright cap removed from the TB channel and the speakers broken in (which takes a {censored}in age in itself) i've been very happy with mine.

I get the feelin this is the case with most AC30CC's, i see alot of negative stuff about them from people that have played them in shops/bought them new, and alot of positive stuff from people who have played/own used models where the speakers are sufficiently broken in and possibly the bright cap has been removed, the difference is night and day, just my observation.

interesting thought, thank you. :thu:

• Members

well that aint gonna work is it? what you really need is a usa model and a UK model side by side running on the correct voltages and identical settings.

Nah, if I take one bought in the UK and find it sounds better in Canada, then I think it'd prove something. I'd do your test too. We should do it. We could be the Clarkson and Hammond of the Vox world. Each week, we could test drive expensive amps and then go and carry out amusing challenges with CC amps.

• Members

I'm convinced that it all has to do with tube quality and component "break-in" (mostly speakers). I was horrified at the sound of my cc1 when I first received it from AMS. After breaking in the celestion neo speaker, it was bearable but still nothing I was proud of owning.

After tube upgrades, a Weber silver bell alnico, certain small mods, and hundreds of hours of hard playing, the amp sounds better than any I've ever owned (mostly vintage fenders and ampegs). But some people require something that sounds better off the shelf, and I respect that.

I've played plenty of these amps in the shops (cc2x, 15 ccx, 15 h1tv, cc2, 30tb, 30tbx, 15 tbx) and they vary in brittleness and vox "authenticity". I believe it is 71% speaker break-in and 29% tube quality that accounts for the differences. But how can you really tell?

I agree that speaker break in is very important with these amps. I don't think valves are an issue. I used brand new Harmas with both TBX and CC. They're quite clean sounding valves so I hitched other valves into the CC: Mullards, EHX.. no real change. Just slightly different types of nasty sound.

This whole 'after we modded the hell out of it, took the speaker out, put something else in, took out components.. and then it sounded good' element... once you've done that, you may as well have gone and ordered a Valvetech Hayseed. I've played Laney amps, Fender amps and more expensive amps in an unmodded fresh out of the box state and none have sounded as bad as the CC.

The bright cap mod is something that seems to be quite common. Wasn't it one of the Fender amps that a lot of people recommended should have a bright cap mod? Can't remember which one.

• Members

right, i jusr seen the PGS demo of the Vox HH head... whats the difference with that and the CCx i tried earlier then lads? Coz that demo sounded pretty good t my ears...

Can I also say for the record I was using a Gibson Les Paul with the Vox earlier so no its not coz i was playing some piece of crap gubbins :thu:

• Members

(Heritage Series)

This guy knows.

I was dead set on getting a AC30CC2X combo, but when mine came in at my local shop, they also got an AC30H2. The owner kind of chuckled and dared me to A/B them.

No contest. The Heritage series is like a whole other amp. It's {censored}ing unreal.

Archived