Buh Bye Nord Electro (p.s. I'm also crazy)

akliner

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So I got rid of my Electro this weekend. It was an amazing board and great for what I am doing musically with my band. But I'm starting to tool around with more "music for the stage" writing and some low-key electronic stuff. As it is, I leave my 88-key (Motif 8) at the rehearsal space and travel my 76 key (Electro) with me to and from my home and home studio. The electro was all I had in my home studio.

I think I'm gonna wait a couple months and get an XS7 to replace the Electro.

I know, I know.

Actually, I'll try to wait to play the new Fantom, but I spent some considerable time in front of an XS6 at Guitar Center and I fell in love
:love:

Eight sliders = Eight drawbars; the thing has great organs...and would be easier to tweak than the LED-Based interface of the Electro. Not to mention, I'm getting all those other Motif voices that I'm in love with.

Now, I do realize this means I would be in ownership of 2 Motifs...and I'm a pathetic fanboy for Yamaha's stuff and I probably deserve death or ebola or something.

I feel good about this, though.

Thoughts?

Don`t forget that the electro has updates and yamahas keyboards discontinue their things really quick.

• Members

I'll have to bash the Electro.

I really love the sounds as much as anyone else, and I came really close to buying one. But the action stopped me. After about 20 minutes, I was tired...my wrists ached, and the pain was aggravated when I switched to the EP sounds.

Too bad...great sounds & lightweight, too! :cry:

• Members

I really love the sounds as much as anyone else, and I came really close to buying one. But the action stopped me. After about 20 minutes, I was
tired
...my wrists ached, and the pain was aggravated when I switched to the EP sounds.

Too bad...great sounds & lightweight, too!
:cry:

That's odd.

I've played just EP sounds on the electro on 5 hour gigs and never had a problem.

• Members

Wow...this thread got dug up... :thu:

I already miss it, but I'm not regretting it. I've come to realize that the bulk of my playing out is for the stage (like theatre). I keep getting Music Director/Keyboard gigs and I need versitility without taking up too much room.

I'm that guy who actually needs the oboes, flutes, AND the synths and everything that people gripe about ROMplers is pretty much what I use. :eek:

So for now, a two Motif setup and an Ion shortly after. The Ion for my own home use, tweakin' and stuff.

Eventually, I'll replace the Classic 8 and keep the board as a MIDI controller. But I'm in no hurry. It still takes my breath away.

• Members

I really love the sounds as much as anyone else, and I came really close to buying one. But the action stopped me. After about 20 minutes, I was
tired
...my wrists ached, and the pain was aggravated when I switched to the EP sounds.

Too bad...great sounds & lightweight, too!
:cry:

I know I hate the action on it too. Who would want that action for EP sounds as good as they are.

• Members

Thats why theres modules and fatars. The rack is 500 eurs cheaper than the 61. A used SL880 can be easily found for 400 (new 550). So a weighted Electro is in fact CHEAPER than the unweighted one!

Wow. Modules! Clever things.

Anyone complaining about the Electro in respect to updates should be locked up too. I got mine in 2001 and it has seen 3 major OS updates including the outstanding acoustic pianos from the Stage series. What more could you expect? I don't hear a difference between the Stage leslie and the Electro's (besides that they messed up in OS v1 in the Stage)

I don't really understand the flak tha Clavia get with respect to the Electro and Stage. With the Stage they listened to kind-of-all customer wishes (add weighted keys, decent acoustic pianos, synthsounds, effects and multitimbrality) and even SOS was still complaining. Pretty funny. It appears to me that the "player"type keyboardist is extremely happy with the no-frills-just-quality approach and the techheads who don't really play anyway complain about "features".

• Members

Thats why theres modules and fatars. The rack is 500 eurs cheaper than the 61. A used SL880 can be easily found for 400 (new 550). So a weighted Electro is in fact CHEAPER than the unweighted one!

Wow. Modules! Clever things.

Anyone complaining about the Electro in respect to updates should be locked up too. I got mine in 2001 and it has seen 3 major OS updates including the outstanding acoustic pianos from the Stage series. What more could you expect? I don't hear a difference between the Stage leslie and the Electro's (besides that they messed up in OS v1 in the Stage)

I don't really understand the flak tha Clavia get with respect to the Electro and Stage. With the Stage they listened to kind-of-all customer wishes (add weighted keys, decent acoustic pianos, synthsounds, effects and multitimbrality) and even SOS was still complaining. Pretty funny. It appears to me that the "player"type keyboardist is extremely happy with the no-frills-just-quality approach and the techheads who don't really play anyway complain about "features".

I am a player type person but I don't think it is all that. A bad action and lack of drawbars is a huge thing just in the organ dept. I know it is light and has good sounds but I can't get over those two things. Wait till the XK-3C comes out.

• Members

people who like to discuss the piano sounds again, please check out my recording of a song by lenny cortez, called time. Solo comes in at 2:15

Which piano patch is that? I don't have any of them loaded on my NE2, but if I were going to that one sounds usuable. Did you put any effects on it or tweet it in the mix?

• Members

I'm an Electro FAN BOY. Been gigging live with one for over 5 years and still love it. The action is superb for organ, great for clav and ok for Wurly/Rhodes. I like to use my S90 to trigger the EP sounds. I use MIDI Drawbars with mine, so I have it all. The sound is hard to beat and the form factor is untouchable. I've never been a big fan of the acoustic piano sounds on it, but they can pass during rehearsals. The Electro is so refreshing next to a lot of rompler solutions that are bathed with FX to cover their meager sounds. The Electro sounds like plugging in the real thing.

• Members

Which piano patch is that? I don't have any of them loaded on my NE2, but if I were going to that one sounds usuable. Did you put any effects on it or tweet it in the mix?

Turn the EQ section on and add a lot more hi and a little bit more lo and your Nord Electro acoustic piano sounds sooooo much better.

• Members

I'm an Electro FAN BOY. Been gigging live with one for over 5 years and still love it. The action is superb for organ, great for clav and ok for Wurly/Rhodes. I like to use my S90 to trigger the EP sounds. I use MIDI Drawbars with mine, so I have it all. The sound is hard to beat and the form factor is untouchable. I've never been a big fan of the acoustic piano sounds on it, but they can pass during rehearsals. The Electro is so refreshing next to a lot of rompler solutions that are bathed with FX to cover their meager sounds. The Electro sounds like plugging in the real thing.

Everywhere I go with the Electro, people notice. Maybe cos it's just so red :) I mainly sing at my church's gospel choir but during special occasions (concerts, Christmas, Easter, etc) the choir director will tell me to "Bring that big red keyboard and play some organ fills!" Also, I went to a BBQ/jam session a couple months ago thrown by HC's own Phil O'Keefe. I didn't really get to play that much, but for some reason the Nord Electro made me popular there, lol...

• Members

:eek:

I find it much easier to tweak drawbars by feel, so I just picked up a Roland VK-8 from eBay. It's supposed to arrive later this week...

The VK-8 has been slammed around here in favor of Korg or the Hammond but frankly I love my VK-8 and I don't give a damn what people say about it. I think you'll enjoy it.

• Members

The VK-8 has been slammed around here in favor of Korg or the Hammond but frankly I love my VK-8 and I don't give a damn what people say about it. I think you'll enjoy it.

I played one when I was shopping for a clonewheel. Like groovatious, I was impressed by the powerful sound. Also liked the fact that the D-Beam could start and stop the Leslie.

• Members

Can you explain? I think I want an Electro so I would like to know any potential problems that I might encounter. Thanks!

I don't like the Electro action because of too much "push-back"- physically annoying, plus it makes my lines and licks come out too choppy and uneven (which I admit may be sloppy technique but I don't notice it with say, a VK7)

I know a Hammond works the same way, but I seriously doubt with THAT much resistance, even a pristine one.

It's also obvious there are good players on this forum (even better than ME :eek:) who love it.

Archived