Flanger Hoax ... What Hell Is It?

rileykill

• Members

It's pretty crap for making any kind of good noise.

I sent mine back straight away, the noise floor on that thing is ridiculous.

HOWEVER

If you want to use it as a crazy noisemaking instrument it's awesome! Very easy to make it do all kinds of self oscillation and other stuff.

I'd get something else tbh.

• Members

It is a very complicated device. You really have to understand the layout and controls to use it to it's fullest. Having said that, it is an extremely useful pedal. It can get those modulation settings that the clasic phasers and flangers just can't get. It does take a while to learn it. I've read a bunch of stories from people who didn't like it and returned it within days. It takes more than a few days to integrate it. I feel like it's more of a multi-stage phaser with feedback as opposed to a flanger.

It is not a classic flanger.

Mine gets a noticable volume drop that I have to compensate for.

There are still things that it does that I haven't touched.

It's a knob twiddler's delight.

• Members

It's pretty crap for making any kind of good noise.

I sent mine back straight away, the noise floor on that thing is ridiculous.

HOWEVER

If you want to use it as a crazy noisemaking instrument it's awesome! Very easy to make it do all kinds of self oscillation and other stuff.

I'd get something else tbh.

So, you base your whole view on it around your self-admitted minimal try out?

First, it's not a "set and forget" pedal. It's a tweaker's pedal.

The thing with the Hoax is that it can literally do ANY sort of modulation, and do it well. It has the best modulation I've heard. Very Analog, not overpowering (unless you want it to be), and clear.

It's not just good for crazy sounds. It does standard Phaser/Flanger/Chorus/Leslie/Trem sounds very well.

As far as noise goes, on some settings there IS noise. However, with a bit of experience with the pedal, it becomes easy to dial out. Some settings have a volume drop, some a boost, but again, that's the nature of the pedal. You have SO MANY sound options that not all of them are 100% perfect.

Either way, it's one of my favorite pedals. I highly recommend it.

• Members

It's a modulation pedal. . .

a lot of modulation is pretty closely related, so anytime you get a modulation pedal with a lot of controls, it is safe to say you'll be able to do a bunch of different modulation sounds. Also, there are different ways of achieving a lot of modulation sounds. For example, my Subdecay Prometheus can do trem.

• Members

Yeah ... I use very, very little modulation w/ my band. It would be awesome to get one mod pedal to tweak out on ... and dump the rest ...

I can't imagine something so tweak-based being good in a live situation though. Just imagine having to change just one setting on that thing during a concert - yikes.

I say he gets a Poly Chorus, you guys with me?

• Members

I can't imagine something so tweak-based being good in a live situation though. Just imagine having to change just one setting on that thing during a concert - yikes.

I say he gets a Poly Chorus, you guys with me?

Yeah that's kinda the point ... I don't use modulation live anyway. I might not even keep the Hoax on my live board. It would be a tweaking at home/recording toy 90% of the time.

• Members

I can't see anyone workign well with a Hoax if they expect to get a passable tremolo out of it, among other things. it's not a multi-fx.

as others have pointed out, it's a knob-twiddler's delight and nearly an instrument in itself!

• Members

why is the fact that it's big such a problem for people? why do people who rarely play out and never tour care if a pedal fits on their board or not? this has always puzzled me.

if it doesnt fit on the board it doesnt count in the best pedalboard competitions

• Members

Yeah that's kinda the point ... I don't use modulation live anyway. I might not even keep the Hoax on my live board. It would be a tweaking at home/recording toy 90% of the time.

Yeah, it would be a hell of a studio gadget, but I still think something a bit more straight forward would be more useful, especially if you aren't all that into modulation anyway. Polychorus or Choralflange would be my two picks, that and if you do use them live, they won't be so bad on the board.

On the other hand, a Flanger Hoax is on eBay right now for very cheap.... pounce!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electro-Harmonix-Flanger-Hoax-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ350130809065QQihZ022QQcategoryZ41417QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Archived